New Car - GBP1705

Need advice on which of the following would be the best buy. I only drice about 5000 per year and use the car for mainly local journeys. Want to buy new as it will probably be the last car I buy, so want one that is reliable, cheap to run & cheap to maintain. looking to spend between £17-£18K. Choices will probably be either Focus 1.6 TDCi Zetec, Hyundi ix35 1.6 GDi ISG Style or Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic Icon.

Any advice on what you think or any other vehivle to put in the mix would be appreciated.

New Car - jamie745

I'd steer clear of a new diesel for such low mileage. Modern filters and the like mean they hate low mileages and short journies and a DPF failure is not a cheap thing.

New Car - Auristocrat

5000 miles per annum isn't enough to justify a diesel.

If you are interested in the Auris, you could consider the Auris Hybrid which would be more economical than the 1.6 petrol - Auris Hybrid Icon from £18074 from www.autobytel.co.uk.

New Car - GBP1705

Thanks Auristocrat but I did consider the hybrid but the battery is not a lifetime warranty and costs a lot of money if & when it will need replaced. My cousin was quoted nearly £6K to renew a battery on a hybrid

Edited by GBP1705 on 21/01/2013 at 21:38

New Car - TeeCee

Thanks Auristocrat but I did consider the hybrid but the battery is not a lifetime warranty and costs a lot of money if & when it will need replaced. My cousin was quoted nearly £6K to renew a battery on a hybrid

I wouldn't worry. I've only ever heard of Toyota packs giving up on vehicles with spaceship milages on them, at which point a secondhand pack is the better option as you're over the warranty limit anyway.

The Honda ones used in the Civic and Insight seem to be a bit ropey though. One of my colleagues has just his Civic's hybrid system comprehensively turn its toes due to a failed battery. That's the third one on fleet to do this.

New Car - Avant

I agree - petrol would be best for your lowish mileage.

The Hyundai ix35 is an MPV - a bigger car than your other choices. If you want that sort of car - and as you get older ease of entry and exit become more important issues - then look at the Ford C-Max and Toyota Verso and Verso S.

If not, the Auris should suit you fine: as well as the Focus in this smaller class of car, you could look at the Hyundai i30, Kia Ceed and Skoda Rapid which are all good value.

New Car - Auristocrat

Kia Venga or its sister the Hyundai ix20. Kia Soul. Toyota have recently discontinued the Urban Cruiser in the UK - should still be some unregistered ones within the dealer network. These four should also provide easy access

New Car - Ed V

If you're a pensioner looking to buy a car to get you to the graveyard, I'd suggest some extra factors to consider. Servicing / repairs is the most obvious. Which make is the closest servicing centre to your home? If it's Toyota 3 miles up the road, that would sway me over Honda, if they were 25 miles away for example.

I'd totally agree that a small petrol engine is what makes most sense. All other things being equal, that takes to straight to the Jap brands, Honda, Toyota etc.

How much internal space do you need? A Focus is a family car. Do you really only need a Fiesta sized one? Even an 'Up'-sized one?

Automatic would probably be nice for you.

Why buy new. At 5,000 miles a year, a 3 year old car would only cost 50% of the new price, and most will last a total of 15 years at your annual mileage. You may not want to leave any money behind in due course, but why pay the Government 20% of a higher price in VAT if you don't need to!!

New Car - GBP1705

Thanks for all the input guys. I have always had big cars, ie Granada, Jaguar, as we have family visiting often we need a biggish car where 5 can be comfortable, I have arranged a test drive in the ix35 and also the Auris, although i'm beginning to go off the Auris, heard that costs for servicing & repairs are expensive, plus the fact the Hyundi dealer is only 5 miles away compared to Toyota at 20. Reason I want to buy new is that I have never been in position to buy new before and now at 60 want a new one which will last me for years.

New Car - Auristocrat

We have a 12 reg Hyundai i20 (which replaced a Mazda 2) and a 62 reg Toyota Auris (which replaced a 59 reg Auris).

I found that my 2009 Auris was cheaper to service than the Mazda 2. Minor services for the Mazda were around 199 pounds and major services 250-299. With the Auris the minor services were 140 and the major 199.

The majority of Toyota dealers now offer Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing (http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3cnone%3e&edname=Owners-Service-Servicing&id=Owners-Service-Servicing&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=Mall) - which was introduced January 2012. Toyota offer this on all their vehicles regardless of age, whereas other manufacturers limit their Fixed Price Servicing schemes to cars aged 3 year plus. With my latest Auris, I have a service plan based on the Fixed Price Servicing costs - the first three services will cost me a total of 434 pounds.

We've also found the Auris is cheaper to service than our Hyundai i20.

New Car - Ed V

Only 60 years old!!

Then I'd forget all (my) previous thoughts, and buy a decent 3-year old car and change it every 3 years or so! Have some fun!

Tell the family to rent a car or get a cab. Try an MX5 or an Impreza. Mind you, they'd both last 20 years I'd guess.

Boxster?

New Car - Bobbin Threadbare
Try an MX5

I second that. It's the funnest car in the world!