Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - Peter.N.

I am looking for a definitive answer for the poor fuel consumption of the 2.2 engine, I know I am not alone with this problem but most references are to the poor consumption rather than a cure for it.

I have 2.0. Hdi engines in another C5 and a 406 both of which with my very gentle style of driving will exceed 60 mpg, the best I consumption I have had form the 2.2 was 49 mpg at a steady 60 mph on the motorway but it only averages about 40 mpg or less. I have cleaned the EGR and MAF to no effect and even fitted a tuning box in an attempt to increase mpg, it didn't, did increase the performance markedly though, but I'm not interested in that, I drive mostly at no more than 60 mph or 2000 rpm.

It has been suggested that removing the particulate filter will improve it but I find from the experience of others that it hasn't.

With the high gearing that it has and my driving style it ought to give a better consumption than the 2.0 but it comes no where near it.

Can anyone help?

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - dieselnut

I had one of these, same year & engine but some years ago now. Previously had an XM 2.5TD that would do 60mpg on a run, the C5 would never do more than 49mpg as you have found. The problem is the particulate filter, it is located half way down the car & needs a lot of wasted fuel to get it hot. You can remove it & jet it out with a high pressure jetwash & that will improve things by about 10%. Otherwise it would need removing completely & mapped out of the ECU, but finding someone competent to do that may be a problem. I only kept the car for a year because of the excessive consumption & currently have a CR Passat with DPF, but with the improved design & located immediately after the turbo it is efficient & am able to get over 60mpg easily on a run.

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - thunderbird

You can remove it & jet it out with a high pressure jetwash .

That is total nonsense. A DPF is not a simple device, its a matrix of material that the soot particles stick to. Jet washing does not remove them. To remove the particles once they are stuck to the matrix a temp of 600 degrees is required, that is why extra diesel is injected in during a regen. But a regen is not happeneing all the time, it varies frommake to make but unless a regen is happeneing there is no extra diesel injevcted thus it does not affect your fuel consumption.

Seen it quoted before that each regen takes about 0.1 gallons of fuel. Do a regen every 300 miles overe 10,000 miles that is just over 3 gallons. OK its a waste of diesel but at 50mpg over 10,000 miles you are using 200 gallons anyway, another 3 gallons is only 1.5% extra fuel.

Think about it, if it was that simple would garages alll over the country not be offering this simple service. Add to the the soot is toxic, how are you going to dispose of the water when its contaminated.

Don't forget that the DPF is there for a reason. Soot particles are carcenogenic, do you want to be responsible for risking peoples future health.

Thanks for the info so far.

Dieselnut

I also have been running XMs for the last 15 years or so, mine were 2.1 td manual estates, in fact I still have one but my son drives it, they gave a better fuel consumption with an IDI engine than the 2.2 Hdi! I used to regularly get 50+ mpg on our far north of Scotland trips.

I have seen posts from others with 2.2 Hdi's who have removed the DPF but have not reported any improvement in fuel consumption although some improvement in power. The 2.0 16v engine has a DPF and gives a fuel consumption as good or better than the 8 valve.

Thunderbird

There are a number of firms offering to remove the DPF and reprogramme the injection control chip and a lot of people have had it done but I think its largely because of the expense of problems with it. It has been sugested by some that an ECU remap will improve the consumption but opinion about that seems divided, as I only paid £300 for the car its hardly worth my while going down any of these routes.

Its a shame really because its a nice car and better to drive then the 2.0. If there was a simple cheap fix I would go for it but there are so many opinions expressed that I feel it would be a gamble to do anything

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - dieselnut

" That is total nonsense. "

Sorry, but you are wrong.

This was one of the first cars to be fitted with a DPF or FAP as PSA called it then. It relies on Eolys fluid to help it regenerate. When a DPF regenerates it leaves behind ash residue & this is what is being washed out. It was a service item on these cars & required cleaning every 50k. PSA dealers in this country found it easier & more proffitable to replace them with a service exchange unit, then return the clogged up unit back to a central depot in France for cleaning. But if you want to avoid excessive costs you can jet it out yourself. Technology has moved on & DPF's are now efficient & mostly last the life of the car.

I don't know if you can trick the system Peter. There are 2 pressure sensor pipes fore & aft of the combined CAT/FAP together with 2 temperature sensors. The pressure pipes go back to a pressure differential sensor mounted on the bulkhead. & assume the temp sensors go back to the ECU. If you want to experriment you'll have to get hold of an old FAP & gut it out. I'd had Citroen diesels for the previous 20 years but decided to move over to VW after the C5 to avoid the DPF.

Best of luck with it.

I have tried all the relatively simple things Dieselnut and as I said for what I paid for the car I don't really want to do a lot more. The purpose of my post was to see if there was some basic flaw that I could put right but there are so many people complaining about the fuel consumption that I don't think there is.

I have bought a 2.0. now and although it not as nice to drive as the 2.2 it will 50 - 60 mpg relatively easily and its nice and straight and a smart metalic red so unless someone comes up with a quick fix I shall sell the 2.2 and stick with the 2.0.- if anyone wants to buy it of course!

Peter

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - Collos25

Would I be correct in assuming that not all 2.2hdi in the Citroen stable had a FAP system I had a 53 plate which did not and a 54 plate which did.As these cars were new at the time nobody had messed with them,the same engine fitted to the 407 did have a FAP fitted I had a 54 407 sw 1.6hdi which did 120k with absolutely no bother exept a faulty FAP filler cap which throw a alarm on the dashboard .

As far as I know all 2.2s were fitted with FAP both in the C5 and 406, the manual says they did unless one or two escaped for some reason.

Definitely seen plenty of 406s without FAP and have checked my early 2.2hdi Citroen did not have a FAP system. I seem to remember it was a big advertising campaign on the 407 with somebody breathing the exhaust fumes because they were so pure.

Edited by Collos25 on 21/01/2013 at 12:30

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - Quicksilver

If you do an online search you will find some excellenty articles about removing the DPF matrix and "conning" thensensors ito thinking that the DPF is free flowing, (small pressure difference from entry to exit).

The only thing I am not so sure about isn how to remove the special fluid injection light when it is empty?

Q.

Removal of the DPF is not illegal as it is not a requirement of the MOT but not telling the DVLA and applying for a new log book with the relevent outputs is.

You must also inform your insurance company as it comes under major changes and modifcations and it is illegal to use the car in the rest of the EU and if you sell it you must inform the buyer of the work carried out and give him the new logbook.

These units are fitted for a reason and the reason is illness and early death caused by fumes from diesel engines.

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - 72 dudes

I had a 2001 2.2 HDi for just over 4 years. During it's time with me it averaged 44.1 MPG, always accurately calculated brim to brim. On a couple of occasions during the summer months I managed to get just over 50 MPG on a couple of tankfuls but this was mainly long distance motorway stuff, cruising at 70-75.

These 2.2's are big trouble though, I got rid of mine when it started going into limp home mode several times a week. Completely foxed the Citroen dealer and a trusted independent. Several sensors, pressure switches and about £450 later, the performance had dropped to the level of a 1.6 HDI 110 BHP, and I'd had enough.

If I was you, I'd sell it on and accept the 2.0 HDi 110 as not so good to drive but more reliable.

Citroen C5 2001 - Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi fuel consumption - Quicksilver

See this simple fix, (for a Volvo) on youTube. It is something I will consider if I keep my Volvo at the end of its lease, (around 100k miles).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMf4m946aKA

Q.