Ford Focus - misting up - drogers

I have a late Mk2 Focus Hatchback (registeredJanuary 2008 last of pre-facelift).

I have had this car since new, never a problem until recently BUT over last 2/3 months when there is an outside temperature change, either the front or rear screens (or both) have masses of mist and condensation on the inside and I have to keep a kitchen roll in the car to mop it all up.

I assume this is due to water inside the car - can anyone tell me where these tend to leak. I would be grateful to know where I have to start looking for a leak.

Ford Focus - misting up - Collos25

A known problem with the cabin filter letting in water.

Ford Focus - misting up - Peter D

Are any of the carpets damp. Check very carefully. Regards Peter

Ford Focus - misting up - Ian D

Have you tried leaving the aircon on all the time on recirculate? That will help keep the moisture content inside the car down, although I am not sure if the aircon works in below zero temperatures,

Ford Focus - misting up - bathtub tom

Have you tried leaving the aircon on all the time on recirculate? That will help keep the moisture content inside the car down

No it won't!

By leaving it on recirculate, every time you get in the car with wet shoes/clothes you'll increase the moisture content inside the car. Every time the car has passengers they'll be breathing out water vapour, increasing the moisture content inside the car. Certainly leave the air-con on, but put it on fresh air to blow out the water vapour.

Ford Focus - misting up - jc2

Most A/C systems dont work under 5 deg. C;Whether your A/C is on recirc or not,the water extracted is dumped outside the car. The air from outside the car can be dry but it can also be extremely humid-you need to make your own decision.

Ford Focus - misting up - bathtub tom

Whether your A/C is on recirc or not,the water extracted is dumped outside the car.

You're right and I'm wrong, sorry!

It seems to me that whenever recirc's used, cars suffer more from condensation problems.

Thanks for details, I thought the cabin filter problem (causing leaks) was restricted to the Mk1 Focus where the seal around it failed and let in water ?.

I had that on my last Focus which was a 2003 Mk1 model and resealing that filter housing stopped it , because the cabin filter on the Mk2 is in a different place ??

Ive had this car just on 5 years and this misting up has just started over last 2/3 months and i wondered as where i park at work is often under trees I found last autumn the apertures either side of top of bonnet (each corner below winscreen) both filled up with leaves on a regula basis so wondered if that could be a factor ?

has anyone had anyproblmes due to that ??

Forgot to mention

How do you check under carpets for water / as the carpets are fillted so tightly access to under then isny possible without removing door trims and you likely need special tools to lift those out

grateful for any ideas on how to gain access to floorpan

Thanks

Ford Focus - misting up - Collos25

If you press the carpets hard enough any moisture should come to the surface other than that it means taking a door seal off and putting your hand under the carpet.The Mondeos suffered from inner door seals faing and dumping water inside the car this could be checked by looking under the doors on the cabin side of the seal.

Ford Focus - misting up - MikeTorque

Our Focus mk2 post-08 reg. mists up badly inside. I've cleaned all the inside windows (which helps reduce moisture) but when it's left parked outside overnight there is condensation on every inside window.

No leaks under carpets etc. door seals ok. Only internal dampness is from wet feet on the rubber mats but that's after we get into the car, the windows are already soaked prior to entry. The Quickclear soon clears the front screen and likewise the rear but even with the fan on 3 and air con on there is still plenty of rear window dampness even after 30 mins.

I'm wondering if it's the pollen filter which is supposed to have a new seal and fixing kit applied to ensure water tightness. Need to check the garage records to see exactly what they fitted (if anything).

The cabin filter/pollen filter problem (with its seal( surely is a Mark 1 car problem?

Loads on HJ to support that over the years

Ive never heard of it being on Mark 2

Re carpets as they as plastic backed simply depressing them does not result in a pool of water (it the underlay is wet)

I dont want to take door plastic off as I havent the tools and will likely break it

Ford Focus - misting up - MikeTorque

Apologies, it's the mk1 with that problem.

Got this advice from someone in the know.

First, give all the internal windows a thorough clean with a window cleaning agent.

After driving the car and before turning off the engine set your climate control to Off or to floor without defog/windscreen before shutting it off. Leave it enough time to close the internal flaps (approx. 3 secs). What is happening is some water is getting into the evaporator core box through the windshield cowel and it's evaporating and condensing on the windshield.