Ford Focus - Valuation - realistic expectations? - hoyak

Hi,

Am thinking of selling my car privately. Need some advice on price. I have done some research but real person feedback from those with an interest in motoring would be ideal.

Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 Petrol 08 Plate 3 Door 145bhp Manual 5

58k miles on the clock

Manual, partial service history (was a lease car from Lex Autolease) before I owned. Serviced at 33k, 43k and 58k. No history prior to this. I was the first to MOT this car so have all MOTs (no advisorys issued - would you say this is good/bad or insignificant?)

Will be sold with no tax as reg. disabled.

Reasonably high spec car including standard Sony sound system, 18inch alloys (scuffed though) and privacy glass. Non leather interior. Built in SatNav but no SD card, heated front and wear windscreen.

Car sold with MOT until end of April 13. Also, under extended warranty with WarrantyDirect until June 13 or 74k miles whichever is sooner. Fully transferable to new owner.

Do you think I could get 5.5k for this car privately? Or is this unrealistic? Closer to 5k?

All comments appreciated.. except those along the lines of do your own research.

Edited by hoyak on 17/01/2013 at 22:03

Ford Focus - Valuation - realistic expectations? - tony g
Hi,
Price wise your ok at £5500 ,that's pretty much the starting price for cars similar to yours on autotrader .Most similair cars are more expensive .

The bad news is most buyers are looking for economical diesels ,or small engined petrols .A 2.0 petrol will be difficult to sell unless its very cheap ,perhaps as low as £4000 .

In addition you need to have the car re motd a short mot will put buyers off as will any damage to alloys .The car will also need a proper valet ,to make it saleable ,the cost is about £40.

Overall ,used car sales are difficult ,particularly if you have the wrong car ,it could make financial sense to keep your car .

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I see what you mean it is not a cost effective engine.. I can get about 37mpg with careful, light (and boring) driving.

It also needs x2 new tyres due to tears so that will be about £120.

Did not think about valet also.

I guess it doesn't cost much to put on Autotrader and see what sort of response I get I guess...

I am looking to lease from now on. Officially I own the car but have it on a loan. I am thinking to sell the car and and use the money to lease something much better. Have been advised it would be an extremely bad idea to sell something you own to rent something for two years. Would then have nothing in 24 months but would have had the pleasure of driving a brand new Merc sports car for two years. I am also fairly young and anticipate my earnings would have risen in 24 months. For this to be workable with my finances would need to get at least 5k for the car. I am test driving on Sat so could see what part ex Mercedes offer me for the lease. Will ask this Q now.

Ford Focus - Valuation - realistic expectations? - jamie745

It's a perfectly cost effective engine. People who spend £25,000 on a diesel hatchback yet supposedly can't afford to put diesel in it are really silly.

Ford Focus - Valuation - realistic expectations? - MikeTorque

Slightly higher than average mileage but not by much. There is an issue with 15k miles between the most recent service and the one before, it may mean the warranty is void as a result.

Chipped alloys, well depends by how much, more of an issue is the 18" wheels which adversely affect comfort & ride quality. Changing to standard 16" wheels can be done but someone would have to pick up the bill. As it needs 2 new tyres whoever buys the car would need to take that into consideration. Not everyone likes privacy glass but some pet owners love um as they protect against sun heat.

The loan on the car will need paying off before you can sell it, you don't officially own the car until a loan is paid off. The loan can be cleared as part of the selling transaction.

Expected private sale would be between £5500 for good condition to £4500 or less for poor condition. Part exchange value will depend on the cost to change deal available and varies per dealership. Guide price around £5000 in good condition, anything that needs work or affects cosmetic appearance will be deducted from the price. A Merc dealership should be able to advise you of all your options and costs etc.

Hi,

It was serviced at 45k looked at the wrong p/work and as per the stamp on the booklet.Have just checked T&Cs and is fine on warranty.

Really don't want to replace alloys.. perhaps will look at touching them up to improve appearance?

I will replace the tyres as really they're illegal right now and wouldn't want to sell without being done.

Perhaps part ex would be the best route then perhaps, as they will take without any of these minor jobs that need doing. The car was financed initially with HP but has since been cleared with an insecured loan so that isn't a problem.

Will definitely see what they say about it on Sat.

Edited by hoyak on 17/01/2013 at 23:15