Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - chanlfc

I am thinking of buying a car which is 2008 to 2010 registered diesel. But I’m looking for an economical, reliable and great car to drive.

Option 1 - Mazda 6 (09/10 plate) -but heard many horror stories about how bad the diesel cars are and chain cam being a problem.

Option 2- Audi A4 (07/08 plate) - DPF problems and unreliable

Option 3 - Ford Mondeo (09/10 plate - not heard much wrong with these cars)

Option 4 - Honda Accord (09/10) - again not heard much wrong with this one either.

Preference is the Mazda 6 but after hearing all the bad stuff on this forum it has put me off, or is it related to older diesel engines and not the 09/10 plates?

Alternatively an economical petrol car would be option but again stumped which give good MPG figures and reliability.

Suggestions are most welcome, thank you.

Edited by chanlfc on 15/01/2013 at 23:04

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - countryroads

All modern diesels have their foibles, I am not a diesel fan at all, primarily because despite all the tech, there is no escaping the fact petrols are still smoother and quieter and I like that...

Having said that you are looking at an age range that is still fairly fresh, and depending on mileage covered you should be ok for a while, it really depends how many miles you cover..I do roughly 15k a year now and it is still cheaper for me to run a petrol car at 39mpg than a similarly powerful diesel at 45ish mpg.

1.8 petrol Mondeo is great on fuel and reliable, my friend is on 170k ish on his 2004..I rate Audis of course and the 20v 2.0 is a good strong motor but it would be an older car.

However from your list, I would go for a current shape petrol Accord...I was really impressed with the drive, performance and economy, they look good and will most likely balance running costs and enjoyment the best of the lot. Also, its a bit nicer than 'just a Mondeo'!

Edited by countryroads on 16/01/2013 at 02:02

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - thunderbird

I do roughly 15k a year now and it is still cheaper for me to run a petrol car at 39mpg than a similarly powerful diesel at 45ish mpg.

Well we have 2 diesel cars in the house, both have dpf's, only one has a dmf and had no problems with either.

With regards to savings I don't know where countryroads gets his mpg figures from. My car is a BMW 118d, it averages about 48 mpg. Was loaned a 118 petrol for a weekend when mine was waiting for a battery (warranty) and we got 35mpg on the dash but experience tells me that lies and if it lies as much as the 118d that is probably nearer 32mpg. I do 7,500 miles a year approx, diesel costs me about £980 a year, petrol for the 116 would cost me about £1,400 a year, £420 more. I also save £100 a year RFL, thats over £500 a year. Not a huge amount but over the 5 years I have had the car its £2,600. Servicing is the same for both. Car cost me £300 more when new over a 118 petrol but its worth over £300 more now.

Wifes car is a Kia Ceed SW. She does 10,000 miles a year and it averages 52 mpg, diesel cost £1,200 a year. The petrol versions appear to average about 35mpg based on the moans on various kia websites, over 10,000 miles that's about £1,700 a year. So she saves £500 on fuel and another £100 on RFL, total £600 a year. Car cost £1000 more than petrol but although it will be worth more come trade in we won't get it all back, I expect about £500 extra. Servicing costs identical. Savings over 5 years £2,500.

So on an average mileage we are making good savings, if we were higher mileage motorists we would save a lot more.

I dispute that petrols are smoother and quieter than modern turbo diesels and any modern turbo diesel is way better to drive than a modern petrol which tends to have little power at motorway speeds when you need to change lane. Prefer turbo diesel power when overtaking on A roads as well.

Each to their own but at present I will be keeping my diesels.

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - chanlfc

Yep I agree,

Thats the reason why I want to go for a diesel. My only problem is the so many complaints on these forums about DPF's and turbo's blowing and so forth.

So the question lies is there a diesel car which does not have as many issues as others and is also a nice family sized good car to drive.

This is the reason why I looked ta MAZDA 6 in the first place.

I have sorted of narrowed my options to either a Honda Accord or Mazda 6, and probably go with the one with more reliability and a but more bang for my buck. But which one is the ultimate question I have.

Thanks

So the question lies is there a diesel car which does not have as many issues as others and is also a nice family sized good car to drive.

Try a Kia Ceed SW 1.6 CRDi and be prepared t be surprised, we were. If you buy one registered prior to September 2010 it will be Euro 4 and DPF's were not fitted to 1.6 CRDi Ceeds before Euro 5 models which were sold from September 2010 onwards. They do not have DMF's either plus they have a chain cam. Therefore you can get a large, confortable car with no DPF or DMF for a good price and providing it has been correctly serviced it will still have the remainder of the 7 year warranty remaining.

Don't be tempted by a 2.0 CRDi, although the have very few reported DPF or DMF problems they have an old school engine that is little faster than the 1.6 but uses loads more fuel. They also have a cam belt.

I get my figures thusly...local price of fuel, £5.94 a gallon for petrol £7.05 diesel, 15k miles per year equates to £2284 pa for petrol and £2350 for diesel at the mpgs stated, so cheaper...

but as you say, each their own...petrol for me!

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - Avant

Anyone got the time / energy to reconcile the figures of Thunderbird and Countryroads? There must be a different assumption in there somewhere.

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - gordonbennet

Avant my own feelings on the Diesel/Petrol debate at the present time is that for the majority of users there will be little overall running cost difference between the two for most annual mileages.

Personal preference plays a big part, not only in engine choice but also in the tyope of gearbox available for each model.

Some people enjoy the surge from a turbocharged Diesel and complain about the lack of oompf from the same size NA petrol, making the usual mistake of comparing apples and oranges, it should be quite obvious that if you have a 1.6 TD then you will want a 2.0 or 2.2 NA petrol to give similar performance.

Refinement plays a big part in vibration and noise, and to a lesser extent in driveability, i don't like modern Diesels that won't pull you out of bed then all of a sudden you get up to spool revs and whoosh off she goes, for 3 seconds the you have to change up again, others like that surge.

The big problems come when something goes wrong, and if that happens then Diesels can have a really nasty sting in their tail for the owner who didn't research fully.

Mazda 6 is a prime example, i don't know if the later model suffers with the same problems, what i do know is that the maker failed spectacularly to protect their customers from the extortionate costs to fix things that should never have happened to the previous model, and i personally wouldn't trust them ever again and is a make i shall avoid permanently for that reason. Pity because they make very good petrol cars.

What others do or think is their choice.

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - Happy Blue!

Good example of the difference between TDi's and Petrol engines GB. Some cars are only available in diesel if you want a decent drive. My S-Max in automatic was either an asthamatic NA petrol 2.3 or the 2.0TDCI. The TDCI is a far superior engine in all respects. If I wanted a manual gearbox I would have bought the five pot 2.5T.

They sell huge numbers of the TDCI engine in Fords, Peugeots, Citroens etc etc and there are so few complaints about it that it must be considered to be a reliable engine for enyone who drives one.

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - Trilogy

countryroads, is petrol really 24 pence a litre more expensive with you than diesel? I've never seen such a difference in price!

Countryroads, are those prices correct, that equates to a believable £1.30 per litre for petrol but £1.55 for diesel seems very high.

But doing 10,000 miles a year in a diesel at those prices would still be cheaper for me, £1688 for petrol, £1409 for diesel, a saving of £280 plus the £100 RFL saving, total £380, £1900 total for 5 years ownership. On top of that as said above a good turbo diesel is way better than an asthmatic 1600 petrol. Foregt the additional purchase price, you get most of it back when you sell (in my past experience).

Sadly yes, I live very rurally and my fuel station doesnt have much call to sell the dirty stuff.. guess at 75% at least of diesel vehicles around here belong to farmers who buy in bulk elsewhere or use red so it is consistently dear...its also an independant and not a chain.

I can always get long journeys in the UK done on 1 tank of motion potion too and the flip side is that when unleaded was very dear it didnt rise in line with the big brands.

In terms of VED, I only run pre 2001 51 cars so its of no consequence and the purchase price of the cars is so low as to make no difference. I am a tight git...but will always prefer a cheap powerful petrol to a dear diesel..I used to run a V12 7 series until 2009!

I suppose its due to having company cars alot too, so no running costs other than fuel with those, Its different when its my own wallet and I always spent less with a decent petrol car..

I did have a 3.0 TDi Touareg new shape for a bit, got that down to 19mpg average on a cross country blast and my debit card nearly exploded haha! Extreme I know..

Edited by countryroads on 22/01/2013 at 01:37

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - JOHNSPEARSON34

Might be a bit late but do not go for mazda 6 mine has just pretty much blown up and facing a serious bill or will be scrapping!!!!

Car accellerated on its own hed the red line now bottom end is shot not what u expect on what is a relatively new car.

Audi is a nice lookung car drives well but I think quite bland to drive plus I would now be scared of anything with DPF and or dual mass fly wheels as both are expensive wear and tear items.

Experience Of the HOnda I dont have but did own a 07 type r which I wish I still had 100 percent reliable well made but paint is weak accross most models inc accord have also read of porr reliability on the accords but nothing that serious plus the later facelifted cars are very nice looking.

If it was my money I would be looking at a BMW 3 or 5 series if it was a 3 series it would be a coupe. Have had a few Bmws in the past and they really do have something over most cars they just feel right must add have always had sport versions as i like the look and the seats are comfier in my opinion.

When I have finally dredged money back from my mazda 6 ie piece by piece I will get a 5 series and more than likely it will be petrol.

last point the type r avearged 32mpg the mazda 37mpg mainly shortish trips if i had know the difference would have benn so little i would still have the type r today !!!!

John, how old is your Mazda 6?

We could do with some views as to whether newer Mazda diesels have got over the well-documented disasters of those from the mid-2000s.

Any thoughts?

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Mazda 6 Diesel problems on going it seems tinyurl.com/qxwrjao

A Mazda 6 Diesel, of any age, appears to be a disaster waiting to happen, re fuel getting into oil/sump. www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1106338

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - dereek1962

I have a Mazda 6 GT 2013 Skyactive 2.2d and the Turbo has just blown, Mazda say they have never seen this before ( I don’t believe them) the car was just serviced and had travelled less than 300 miles, the garage say there was very little oil in the car and it may have all gone into the Turbo, has anybody got an opinion or experienced the same ?

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - sandy56
I suggest you look at the Peugeot 407 or 508 with the proven 2l hdi engine, a powerful smooth engine and very few reported problems with the engine or DPF etc. and I only do about 10k pa.
Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - Happy Blue!
"I suggest you look at the Peugeot 407 or 508 with the proven 2l hdi engine, a powerful smooth engine and very few reported problems with the engine or DPF etc. and I only do about 10k pa."

And the engines in those Peugeots also go into Fords and Citroens.

My question answered, it seems from the above few posts. At least yours is under warranty, Dereek: many of them aren't.

I can't remember when we last heard of a problem with a petrol Mazda, so that's clearly the way to go if it's a Mazda that you want.

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - dieselnut

In reply to dereek1962

Thank the Lord you had just had it serviced or they would have blamed you for not checking the oil level.

The oil will almost certainly have been lost through one of the faulty turbo bearing seals.

If it failed on the inlet side you could have had uncontrolled acceleration & lots of black smoke. If it was the exhaust side it would have dumped the oil into the exhaust & left a trail of white smoke behind you.

Other damage could have been done to the engine if it was driven with very low oil level.

Edited by dieselnut on 15/08/2014 at 14:32

Spam or broken link

Mazda 6 - MAZDA 6 Diesel or not? - taica4
More info:
adf.ly/r394I

spam link - again