Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - GT

[Apologies - I created this thread in the wrong Forum (Legal Matters). I have re-produced it here - can the moderator delete the original?]

My C4 Grand Picasso has rear air suspension. Three years ago, when the car was 3 years old with 33k on the clock, both units failed (left, then right) within the space of 200miles. Now, with the car just past its 6th birthday and with 66k on the clock, I found it this morning on its back haunches again ....it had sunk overnight. It's not a total failure (yet) - 3 years ago, when each suspension unit failed, the car would not get off the bump stops; this time, when I switch on, it pumps itself up and drives as normal - then when I switch off and leave it for a couple of hours, it's down again. So it seems I'm getting an early warning this time.

Is it expected of air suspension units that their lifespan is 3 years / 33k miles? The car is driven on 'normal' roads, i.e. not off-road, so hasn't been subjected to any abuse.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - jonimaka

My C4GP Exclusive has a rear air suspension fault (every morning the car greets me with the rear suspension dropped), the mechanic told me that he can observe the defective air-bag frothing and thus an air leak. Anyway, he has ordered the air suspension part (£140 odd) but the citreon parts computer program cannot give him a delivery date for this item. I can hear the back suspension 'panting' when stopped at traffic lights i.e. compressor pump goes on - suspension gets pumped up - compressor pump goes off - suspension (leaks) goes down. The garge told me if I use the car, I may burn the compressor out (which costs about £800 per unit). So the car is parked up and waiting for citreon spare parts...he told me there is a back log of orders to the start of February 2013 for this part and it's nearly the end of March!! Apart from this (and the head/rear lights constantly blowing) it's been a really handy mpv......although, because of this and shocking depreciation value, I shall probably never buy Citreon again.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Pipey504

The rear suspension to my 59 plate C4 GP has just failed! Have contacted several garages who have indicated citroen are currently not allowing the air bags to be supplied! The garages have never heard of a manufacturee doing this before. This leavea me with an unusable car sat on my drive I have contacted citroen and asked for a response to this mattee I will also be contacting watchdog and motoring papers etc as there appears to be a major desogn fault with this part and citroen appear to be doing nothing about it. Can i ask that anyone who has or knows of someone with the same problem register it with citroen. This will mean they cant bury their heads and pretend theirs not a problem.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Pipey504
Have now contacted watchdog, my vehicle is with citroen and surprise surprise the part didn't arrive today. Citroen at this point in time are refusing to pay for equal size curtesy car. Another good forum to visit ref this problem is the attached link citroenc4picasso.webs.com/apps/guestbook/
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - apalma

Same problem here, started 2 months ago, went to citroen garage they confirmed the problem. I told then Citroen have agreed to pay parts because my car is bellow the 4 years. They know about that. Left the car there overnight next day they told me about this waiting list... I need to wait for days/weeks... Now my car is over 4 years, went back to the garage last week and the guy told me the company that made this air bags suspencions go bust. And that Citroen is looking to some new suplier... I asked about the 4 years thing (free parts) and he told me not to worry they will deal about that with the citroen... I dont belive much on that! I need this car to travel to Portugal em july and now this... what a joke =(

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - TeeCee

the company that made this air bags suspencions go bust.

With good reason, it would seem. Selling one dodgy component that you then get to replace free multiple times is not good for business.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - madf

And people wonder why I am so anti French cars...

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - gordonbennet

Why does a vehicle like this need rear air suspension, a gimmick that (IIRC) means you can't have a spare wheel and something else of dubious worth to go wrong.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - sk1dby

my 08 plate c4 suspension air bag has just fallen off my car while driving it i have also been told it could be months to get a part.I am a childminder and need this car to work . I have been told you can change the suspension to springs a lot of taxi drivers do , can anyone tell me where i can get the springs from that will fit this car . I have sent an email to watch dog about this problem .

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Collos25

So a five year old has a problem hardly earth shattering and who told you parts are hard to get.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - sk1dby

citroen said they have none is stock in france and dont know when they will get any so that means i could be with out a car for months

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Si Woods

It might be a bit late by now, but the simple solution is to take out the air bag springs and replace with metal springs. I hava a 08 C4GP, computer wouldn't tell the pump to turn on, so bags wouldn't fill, when they did eventually fill, car was drivable, until you put any weight in the boot or people in the rear, it would release the air and hey presto we were low ridin, Califonian style.

Solution - bought 2 used Metal springs from a breaked picassco, bought new rubber bump stops from Citroen(they go on top of metal spring), bought spring compressor clamps. Jacked car up on to stands, the rubber bags lift out in your hand, compressed metal spring and fitted it, repeat on opposite side. Then remove outer cover off air pump located on underside of boot floor, remove inner cover, disconnect power cable. Then cut both air hoses at each bag, rolled them up and placed inside, inner cover, while putting back on, put outter cover back on. Drop car back to ground, presto... A fully working, non irritating, C4 Picasso.

Note the "Suspension Faulty" warning and Service light on dash will still come on, here in Ireland that is a Test fail, so begrudgingly took it to Citroen to have mechanic hook it up to his laptop and turn it off, cost €50.

Metal springs €100

Bump stops €40

Coil spring compressors €40

Service light turn off €50

Total €230 and it is sorted for an age, note that the bump stops do perish and require replacement ever 5 years or so, depending on individual driving conditions etc...so the clamps will be used again.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Si Woods

Also note that the shock absorbers are fitted separately to the springs on the car, they are in front of where the springs go, and are fitted at an angle. If in good working order, you do not need replace them when fitting metal coil springs, also upgraded stronger shocks are not required, the factory fitted ones are fine.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - buddtm

what woiuld be the part No for these springs

i have a set of Lesjofors Part No 4266745

woild these be compatable

Model C4 GP - 1.6 hdi 2007 110 bhp exclusive

any advise is greatly appreciated

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - ricbritain

I've been lookiing into changing to springs too. Which springs do I need? There are quite a few different ones. Also, which bump stops do I go for?

Thanks.

Citroën C4 Picasso - Pneumatic Rear Suspension - CitroenUK

Anyone concerned about the pneumatic rear suspension on their C4 Picasso, please follow this link to find out more http://info.citroen.co.uk/our-news/editorial/bbc-watchdog-c4-picasso/ or contact our customer care team by e-mail cuk_contactcentre@citroen.com / call 0800 3288 141.

Citroën UK

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - bazzy65

Hi was wondering if u could help me.

My c4 grand picasso suspension started to play up a few months ago but now it's not working at all :-(

I've done the usual things like check fuses etc had dignostic but nothing is showing it's only showing on the car when it comes up suspension faulty. Considering changing to springs like you have done. Did u do it urself and was it easy to do. Or does anyone no what could be wrong? Really can't afford a new pump so need cheapest option that will get me bk on the road. Many thanks

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Ktanglais
Hi, I have changed my Citroen C4 to the spring suspension and it has been great. However, the warning light still comes on saying suspension faulty and the service light is on. I took it to a non Citroen garage and was told that he could not turn off the warnings, they have to be done at Citroen. Today I took it to a Citroen garage and they said it would take at least two hours and cost £180! I was told that they need to put it on the ramps and disconnect pipes going into the compressor and take out a fuse before the computer will recognise there isn’t a fault. Is this the case? Any advice would be gratefully received. It seems far too expensive - more than it cost to change to springs!
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - RichardW

It's quite difficult as I understand it to program out the air suspension. If you are anywhere near Derbyshire, try Mark Lightfoot - I'm sure he's done a few.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Never buying french again

Has anyone on this thread had this repaired?

My local dealer says Citroen have only covered the parts and I would have to pay for the labour.

No problem there apart from Citroen are asking for a copy of my service records and I suspect they will try and wiggle out of paying if authorised dealers have not been used.

In the first 3 years it was Citroen but after that local garages.

Getting ready for a fight!

The turbo went and I successfully got Quinten Wilson to stump up for that with a fight!

Wish me luck.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - Citroen C4 rear suspension fau

Regards your problems with C4 rear suspension,mine has been playing up on my 59 plate exclusive and main agent confirmed problem and said Citroen couldn't help as I didn't have full main agent service history and quoted little under £500. Bought the bits on eBay for 90 pounds and friend fitted them for 30pounds, if you can get the rear on stands you don't even have to take the wheels off and takes half hour . The bits are pattern but quality , problem sorted for 120quid,joe

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - ferkemall

They had so much trouble with these they stopped using them they were crap and cost them tens of thousands in warrantee work !

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Rear air suspension failure - again - galileo

They had so much trouble with these they stopped using them they were crap and cost them tens of thousands in warrantee work !

Yet another old, dead, thread which for some reason 'ferkemall' seems keen to comment on.