Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - RuthS

Hi, I posted here over a year ago as my work was to move offices to over 30 miles away from home so a round commute each day of 66 miles, most of that on motorway - and the new office is on the snow line (yes, seriously - a well researched move!). It got delayed but is now happened on February 15th. So the hot topic in the office is everyone buying new cars! I've been seriously looking for the past couple of months but the more I look, the more confused I get.

My current choice is probably between a Polo Match or Ford Fiesta - I also looked at the Swift, Juke, Yaris and i20. Today I had a test drive in and loved a 1.25 5 door Zetec Ford Fiesta that was on offer for £9,495. It's a 12 plate, pre reg with a year's road tax and only 25 miles on it. This seems a very good deal but they're offering me a really poor trade in price. I drive a 1.2 08 plate Nissan Micra Acenta, great condition, 37,000 miles on it, done my research, seems to be worth at least £3200 and they said £2600. For anyone reading this who lives in central Scotland, you'll understand which dealership I was at given the monopoly they have in the area (!!). The VW arm of the same dealer said £2700 at a test drive of a pre reg Polo and then said they'd give me £4k if I bought a more expensive new car - more expensive than the difference in the increased trade in price offer!!!

So I'm thinking about the Fiesta but can anyone tell me what the fuel consumption is like? I can't find any two consumption rates the same anywhere and given the mileage I'm going to be doing, this is very important. Or are there any other cars I should be considering? I plan to buy the car outright and would accept £3k for the trade in and use no more than £6,500 savings so the Fiesta is the upper limit of my budget. Pre-reg or ex demonstrator ideal.

Thanks!

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - countryroads

If you like the Fiesta, just haggle more...a pre reg car will need to be got rid of as quickly as possible. Make it plain to any salesman once you know what the right car is, that you are in the market, and will sign up today if the deal is correct for you. No sales manager or controller in his right mind would give the final deal first go out without a commitment to buy....the price for their car seems pretty good actually, but it will be the pre facelift Fiesta I guess?

The VW guy must have a new car that has an incentive against it for the dealership or for him which is why he may well be pushing for that.

If you are looking at the 1.2 60ps Polo, the Ford will be better on fuel and more refined.

Edit...£3k seems about right for your trade in, not having seen it...

Edited by countryroads on 06/01/2013 at 19:37

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - 72 dudes

I wonder if you've got caught up in the latest office trend?!

Why not keep the 4 year old Micra, and keep saving? The difference in moving to one of the cars you mention will not be significant for the journey you have, so why change?

Having said that, if you do decide to go ahead, do not rush into it, there are plenty of new/nearly new ones of these cars around.

For me, the Fiesta would be the pick, the 1.25 engine is a gem, easily able to travel at motorway speeds while remaining refined for a small car.

My experience was limited to 24 hours and travelling a mainly motorway route with some urban work, not thrashing by any means, but not driving like Reginald Molehusband either.

I got just over 45 MPG.

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - RuthS

The Micra isn't very good on motorway driving - I have discovered that and even the Nissan dealerships admit this! Something to do with engine revs - the sales guy did explain the technical bit while I was having a test drive in the Juke (didn't have any intention of buying it as way too expensive but thought I'd have a spin!!) but he lost me early on! Doesn't give good fuel economy at higher speeds and it doesn't handle well in snow and ice at all - of which I also experience a lot! I love the car and it is great for what I need at the moment (urban driving) but I need something more substantial......

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - daveyK_UK

Go for the swift, it has the sweetest engine and will be the most reliable.

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - 2.0Tsi
Save your money, all the cars you are looking at will be no more economical that what you have. If cold weather handling and snow is an issue get some winter tyres fitted to your car, cheaper and will be better than the no doubt low profile tyres of a fiesta zetec.

My wife runs winter tyres all year round on her i10, now into her 2nd winter and still plenty of tread left. It's a common misconception that they wear out über quick !

Edited by 2.0Tsi on 06/01/2013 at 21:50

Ford Fiesta v VW Polo v Suzuki Swift v ?? - Help on what car to buy - MikeTorque

There is a new updated Ford Fiesta that has just come out. It's a significantly improved car compared with the 12 reg. you were considering. The ride comfort is superior, less road noise, much improved quality, superior driving experience. You can order a new one and have a 13 reg number plate for early March. Alternatively you may be able to locate a low mileage 62 reg. demo.

A Ford Style 1.25 82ps 5 door can be purchased on the road including delivery & VED for around £10,100. A Ford Zetec 1.2 82ps will be around £10,600. If you want better fuel economy then the 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps 5 door has zero VED and an on the road price of around £11,700.00, this engine has plenty of power and torque as a result of a small turbo, fuel economy should be around 15% better than the 1.25 82ps. The Zetec model holds its value better than the Style model.

The standard tyres now fitted to these models is a 195/55 15, a higher profile than the pre-updated Fiesta, also 195/60 15 can be spec'd & fitted as can winter tyres.

The Polo, the only petrol engine that's any good in the range is the 1.2 TSI and it's only available in top spec and very pricey, the 1.2 engines are under powered and the 1.4 drinks too much fuel. The Swift has poor rear view visibility which rules it out for me.

The Fiesta is the superior car all round, so much so I've got one.

Prices for the above can be found at : http://drivethedeal.co.uk/
Private retail purchases are around £500 more than those quoted, I've included that in the prices above. You would have to sell your car elsewhere as they only sell new cars.

Edited by MikeTorque on 06/01/2013 at 21:56