n/a - which dash cam? - buster44

Having just been reversed into while parked, then to be accused by Mr white van man of driving into him, I have decided I need a dash cam. Can anyone please recommend a simple, compact model suitable for insurance evidence as opposed to HD track day footage? Thanks.

Top Reply

n/a - which dash cam? - injection doc

I have roadhawks ! 1 in each of my 4 cars. had them some years.

Absoultley brilliant and had successful prosecutions with them as well !

You will alway find someone not prepared to pay £200 quid to buy one or say yeah you can get one for £10 but Roadhawk are actaully very clever in many ways and are not just a camera & its alway cheaper than your excess ! so many people buy after the event !

They record time/date mapping by GPS, g-force XYZ axis, they record cabin sound, can be very usefull,they also have a built in capacitor which allows them to carry on recording for 10 secs after power supply is cut, excellent in head on crash& of course they record video footage.

You dont need two camera's to cover a rear end shunt as the roadhawk records impact through sensors so if you are hit from behind the footage from in front says what you were doing and the impact recording will show whats happened from behind !

I have mine wired so it comes on with ign but have a switch over where I can leave on when parked which is a god send in car parks ( excellent for catching hit & run in supermarket car parks with excellent results ) Its tucked up out the way over the top of the mirror and isnt really visible through the top tint.

Two of my cars have heated screens and the camera's are slower to connect to GPS.

I also take mine with me when i hire a car abroad and just use the tempory mount supplied, did a month in the states and 4000+ miles and causght the whole road trip on a 16 g HD card, Excellent to watch snippets sometimes like drive up to Lake Tahoe, Yosimite & death valley and the Drive around San-fransisco

All Replies

n/a - which dash cam? - bathtub tom

I got a twenty quid jobby off ebay. Haven't had to put it to the test, yet.

I wonder if it's existence is enough?

n/a - which dash cam? - galileo

I have a Roadhawk in my car, recently hired a van and they said they have fitted Roadhawk in their entire fleet of vans; these are about £200 each (including 4 and 8 GB SD cards) so presumably the hire company reckon they are a wothwhile investment.

n/a - which dash cam? - Hamsafar

I recently ordered a £17 Carcam P5000 one off ebay, but as it's coming from China, I'll probably get it in 3 weeks. However, since ordering it, I found this website...

dashcamtalk.com/#

Most interesting is the talk of fakes. You can also search youtube with the model name/number to see sample footage. the one I odered isn't great but is OK for £17 ish.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140802558584

Because of it's swivel head design, I hope to not use the supplied suction cup and nracket but just mate it with the rain/light sensor box on the inetrior mirror mount and then tilt the head up.

dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stealth...g

I should be able to get power from within the mirror housing.

Edited by Hamsafar on 06/01/2013 at 20:46

n/a - which dash cam? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Just bought a 16Gb SD card for my Roadhawk.. Just under nine quid from Aldi. Not seen 'em cheaper.

I hear that some insurance companies have a recommended make of camera and will give a discount if you fit that one. Up to the £200 level, the picture quality is not great, but I've seen the same quality from police dash-cams on those 'police chase' programmes on the telly. Mine's been quite reliable in use fot the last four months.

n/a - which dash cam? - KB.

I seem to gather that the two 'decent' makes are the Roadhawk and the Blackvue. But do not speak from experience. The cheap ones (of which there are loads) on Amazon and Ebay are reviewed on Youtube obviously enough by a bloke called 'techmoan'. Trouble is, if you've two cars and you want the better ones and you want to cover the rear as well as the front (for rear end shunts).....then you're looking at the best part of a grand....plus the slight inconvenience of the wiring and the risk of attracting scrotes and the question of whether the battery will run down if you leave it/them on all the time.

n/a - which dash cam? - injection doc

I have roadhawks ! 1 in each of my 4 cars. had them some years.

Absoultley brilliant and had successful prosecutions with them as well !

You will alway find someone not prepared to pay £200 quid to buy one or say yeah you can get one for £10 but Roadhawk are actaully very clever in many ways and are not just a camera & its alway cheaper than your excess ! so many people buy after the event !

They record time/date mapping by GPS, g-force XYZ axis, they record cabin sound, can be very usefull,they also have a built in capacitor which allows them to carry on recording for 10 secs after power supply is cut, excellent in head on crash& of course they record video footage.

You dont need two camera's to cover a rear end shunt as the roadhawk records impact through sensors so if you are hit from behind the footage from in front says what you were doing and the impact recording will show whats happened from behind !

I have mine wired so it comes on with ign but have a switch over where I can leave on when parked which is a god send in car parks ( excellent for catching hit & run in supermarket car parks with excellent results ) Its tucked up out the way over the top of the mirror and isnt really visible through the top tint.

Two of my cars have heated screens and the camera's are slower to connect to GPS.

I also take mine with me when i hire a car abroad and just use the tempory mount supplied, did a month in the states and 4000+ miles and causght the whole road trip on a 16 g HD card, Excellent to watch snippets sometimes like drive up to Lake Tahoe, Yosimite & death valley and the Drive around San-fransisco

n/a - which dash cam? - pound365

I have ordered a Mi-Witness dash camera from

www.policewitness.com/webshop/mi-witness-hd-in-car.../

As they are aproved for use in a court of law. They may be £249.99 but I was emailed a £50. discount code. Was amazed by the clarity from distance of registration numbers. Will let you know what its like. They even act upon your footage and liaison with police.

Time to let my insurance company know. Most Insurance companys offer 10-15% off. I know Adrian flux do.

discount code: summary£50off

Edited by pound365 on 06/02/2013 at 22:11

n/a - which dash cam? - Ben 10

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

n/a - which dash cam? - Smileyman

I rather like the look of this one as it seems to mount under the rear view mirror and hopefully will not be so easy to spot from outside the car (keeps theives at bay too)

http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stealth1.jpg

but I am concerned that there is confusion with legality of fitting of some of these cameras, these people state suction mount cameras are illegal - which is odd as the ones on sale (recently introduced too) at Halfords are suction mount.

http://www.incarcamerasystems.co.uk/UK_Law_Dash_Cameras.php

The other area of concern is the GPS action, if one is driving within the spirit but not the letter of the law (eg keeping up with the traffic at 75mph on the motorway) then the GPS might be used by the police or insurance company as a weapon not an aid. So perhaps a simple video camera action without too many bells and whistles is a better option?

n/a - which dash cam? - cnrysn

I am using the model D310 (HD720P, it seems that HD1080P available now), they have video demo on site, very good video quality, you can view the video before deciding to purchase.

Edited by Avant on 18/09/2013 at 01:09

Which dash cam? - DrippingSump

Blackvue or Roadhawk. I have a £30 one, which is good for the price, but lens quality is a bit average. It is also very fish-eye and sees loads of surround.

I've been researching one of these cameras for my car, I'm looking for something that will record activity with descent quality but not be too attractive to being stolen, and without GPS as I do not want a record of my speed to be made as this might have the potential to be used against me dependant on the circumstance.

I would also prefer one fixed to the windscreen via an adheasive pad like the rear view mirror, not via suction cups attached to the windscreen, I have seen the BlackVue 300 which might be the one, it's not a cheap and questionable unit as seen on ebay, I've seen it for sale around £100 which is plenty enough to spend.

n/a - which dash cam? - DrippingSump

Smileyman,

Yes I agree that one stuck to the windscreen with a pad will be better. My £30 one has the usual sink-plunger, which is fine but it takes up a lot of real estate on the windscreen with all the paraphenalia. My thoughts on the Blackvue ones are they can (in my car at least) be discretly positioned above the rear-view mirror out of the way with cables run discretly under the roof lining.

The benefits are; it is not taking up glass space; and the postion gives a decent height with the subsequent look-down view.

Any replacement I get will be a Blackvue.

After much consideration and analysis of need I've taken the plunge and purchased a "Mini 0801 Full HD 1080P" - version without GPS as I don't need to record my postion on map (or speed), and set it to record without time on display as it's not relevant to measure my progress in time against roadside landmarks. Also have muted the sound - I don't need to record the radio (reports say it works better silent too). It cost just £60 from Amazon and delivery from China took about 2 weeks. Note you will need to buy a class 6 mini SD card too. (do not purchase class 10).

I do like the compact size. The power supply wired from cigarette lighter fits into a small box that is permenantly fixed to the windscreen using a sticky pad, with the camera being clipped into this thus giving a removable option (although I worry whether the fittings may become loose over time) without the need to fiddle with the power supply. The image is fine to me, at this time of year I do most of my drivng at night and it picks up the area illuminated by the headlights (xenons) very well.

I have fitted the camera very high up in the winscreen behind rear view mirror and is difficult to spot from outside the car, which was an important factor for me, so I have decided to leave it in the car 24/7. The field of viiew does pick up a little of the partial shading on the windscreen however this has not affected the recorded image. I find the little "startup" and "shutdown" chimes to be reassuring so I know the camera is working correctly. As I have placed it on the driver's side I have taped over the rather distracting blue flashing light, however I do find myself sneeking a quick look at the image as I drive off before the screen goes blank. (user definable time delay).

For more imformation and a useful video see the link below - I take this opportunity to thank Techmoan for his series of reviews of this and other dash cams. Fingers crossed, I'll never need it.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html

Edited by Smileyman on 22/12/2013 at 00:25

n/a - which dash cam? - pavals

I got a blackbox dashcam in HD, great unit and already paid for itself as an oncoming van decided to push too close and whacked my mirror :( i had his actions recorded with my speed and position on the road including his number plate caught by the camera.

Funny when he stopped after hitting my mirror with his van and claimed it was all my fault, after i showed him a quick play back (which you can view on your smart phone) he changed his mind instantly and admitted fault.

(Link deleted - could be an attempt to advertise.)

Edited by Avant on 21/04/2014 at 17:55

Wonderful how they can change a persons perception.

I was coming up the leg of a T junction, a plod was on the main road preparing to turn right into the road I was on. I don't know if it was the sight of my camera made them drop the can of coke they were drinking from, but it must have made a mess.

n/a - which dash cam? - Peter86

Hi there!

I've found a dashcam for 35euro's at autocamerawinkel.com

I saw one called the H198 dashcam was for 35 euro's, I think that's a bargain!

Cheers,

Peter

Looks the same as that what's available from ebay UK for around a tenner:

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1...0

Edited by bathtub tom on 02/05/2014 at 00:29

n/a - which dash cam? - nigelnevin
The Increasing Falcon F-360 HD dash camera is a good choice, I also use, relatively high cost.

(Links removed in case this was an attempt at free advertising.)

Edited by Avant on 20/12/2014 at 21:09

n/a - which dash cam? - bazza

I wouldnt mind one to film trips but I would probably end up incriminating myself at some point!

@ bazza

this is why you don't want GPS or time to be recorded, just to video the road ahead, see what you see, or perhaps missed - keep it simple and you safe

12 months later I've taken my device out the car twice, once when I witnessed a road rage incident, and once when I got caught by a flooded road and wanted to see the incident again later.

n/a - which dash cam? - bazza

this is why you don't want GPS or time to be recorded, just to video the road ahead, see what you see, or perhaps missed - keep it simple and you safe....

Good advice thanks--- I might have a look around in that case, didn't realise that was possible.

n/a - which dash cam? - Maddog1974

I have been using a thinkware F750 front & rear for about 6 months now ive been very impressed with it.

Edited by Avant on 23/10/2015 at 01:31

n/a - which dash cam? - dash cam

Looking for a high resolution dash cam? try xxxx (spam deleted(

Edited by Avant on 12/03/2016 at 21:24

n/a - which dash cam? - FP

A slight whiff/strong pong of spam here.

n/a - which dash cam? - Cyd

You could always download Dailyroads Voyager on to your smartphone for free. Instant gratification whilst you mull over the 'proper' options (smartphone recording isn't much cop at night).

n/a - which dash cam? - ED731PDH

What with having to drive through Crawley (land of the nutcase drivers) and after several no fault hits and getting very Tee'd with the process of dealing with insurance companies, I chipped out just under £100 for a MiVue 518 camera and 32gb microSD card.

Picture quality is quite reasonable, the on board GPS is good and the camera records parameters on what forces the car was sustaining when on the road. If wacked, an emergency mode kicks in that keeps recording until overidden or battery runs out. I'm getting a second one for the missus car as shes on the road a lot more now due to work and is more aware of the hair curling aspects of other road users.

n/a - which dash cam? - davecooper

I have a Nextbase which seems ok. It is fitted with a suction pad, next to the rear view mirror on the passenger side. It will not fit behind the mirror due to the sensor array. However, it is virtually hidden behind the mirror from the drivers seat so does not block any view through the windscreen. By the way, I have GPS and speed enabled.

What are the legal issues with suction fixings that someone mentioned?

Edited by davecooper on 15/03/2016 at 12:56

n/a - which dash cam? - sandy56

WHy dont you look at the dashcam reviews on this website?