big dog big car required - 4x4 or big estate

Hoping someone can help, I ve been looking for over a year now and have changed my mind several times over.

I Think im looking for something that doesnt exist

Basically I have a rather large and tall dog, I also have a job that requires me to carry quite a lot at times.

Currently i Have a focus estate, nothing wrong with it does the job well but its boring as hell and would like something that looks better, drives better and ideally is a little quicker.

Initially I thought a4/a6/v70/5 series etc.

Then after seeing that although the boots are big enough theyre not tall enough, so then I thought 4x4 and they had the height but not the capacity apart from the discovery but then i hear reliability is an issue.

ive then thought about L200 and navaras but speed is somewhat lacking

budget is about 10k

hope someone can help

big dog big car required - daveyjp
You are into MPV territory, or van type cars like the Citroen Berlingo, Skoda Roomster etc.
big dog big car required - unthrottled

Or a Mondy estate. Or even a focus estate with a bigger engine. Don't let familiarity breed contempt. Ubiquitous cars are often ubiquitous for a reason!

big dog big car required - Brianthebubble

Was just drifting through some of the other threads from my own. unthrottled, your saying - Ubiquitous cars are often ubiquitous for a reason - just hit me when I read it - so simple; so true!! I am looking at the 2008 (up to) Avensis and Mazda both ubiquitousish cars.

big dog big car required - RT

You'd struggle to say the Hyundai Santa Fe doesn't have the height or capacity - it's a tad smaller than a Discovery 3/4 but not by much.

If your job requires weight carrying as well as volume, the 7-seat Santa Fe's have self-levelling but the 3rd-row seats fold under the boot floor so just as much space as the 5-seat - indeed if you remove the 3rd-row you can fit spacious hidden compartments.

£10k gives a good selection of 2.2 CRTDi versions

big dog big car required - Avant

The Santa Fe sounds a good idea, or the equivalent Kia (Sorento I think). A Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI would be a bit smaller but more interesting to drive. Or consider a Volvo XC90 - quite a bit taller than a V70.

big dog big car required - RT

The Santa Fe sounds a good idea, or the equivalent Kia (Sorento I think). A Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI would be a bit smaller but more interesting to drive. Or consider a Volvo XC90 - quite a bit taller than a V70.

The OP's budget of 10K excludes the later version of Sorento, based on the Hyundai Santa Fe, so the only Sorentos within budget are the somewhat agricultural original version - much loved by caravanners because of their high weight and low price but not much else to commend them.

big dog big car required - munroman

Main problem with most 4x4/SUV/MPV vehicles is the height of the boot floor. Probably not an issue with a young large dog but as the dog ages, getting in and out of a high boot can be problematic. I've seen some people resort to providing a ramp for the dog.

And remember, Fido prefers comfort and sedate over sporty handling and enthusiasm. My border collie starts audibly sighing if I corner too quickly/brake too sharply for his liking.

big dog big car required - squarecarman

I have a Volvo V70 which is ideal for my 4 dogs. Sill height was one reason for not getting

a 4X4. My basset needs a lift atthe rear but my collie and two terriers can jump in no bother!

big dog big car required - unthrottled

And remember, Fido prefers comfort and sedate over sporty handling and enthusiasm.

..which is why my lab prefers the passenger footwell. It's dog shaped which provides all the support that a 15 yuear year old Renault suspension does not!

big dog big car required - Ed V

My lab preferred the back seat but usually with her nose sticking out of the driver's window.