VW Crafter - High Oil Consumption - SallyB

We have a 2008 VW Crafter van, with 120K on the clock. Our DPF caused it to go into limp mode and it wouldn't regenerate, so the garage suggested removing it - which they did. We continued to see a lot of black smoke, and returned the van to the garage, who diagnosed a turbo issue. The turbo has been replaced, but the oil consumption is still high - about 1 litre every 400 miles.

The black smoke has definitely decreased, but we're concerned about the amount of oil we appear to be consuming.

We're off to Europe for a few months in a couple of days and are worried that the oil consumption could be indicative of something serious that would cut our travelling short.

Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully received...

Thanks in advance

Sally

VW Crafter - High Oil Consumption - Peter.N.

Hi Sally

If its burning oil that would normally result in blue smoke, I would check carefully that you don't have an oil leak somewhere, it may only be leaking when you are actually travelling.

Peter

VW Crafter - High Oil Consumption - SallyB

Hi Peter

Thanks for getting back to me. The garage have checked for oil leaks already, but found nothing. It's looking as though we'll have to take our chances and if something happens whilst we're away, we'll have to get it fixed wherever we are.

Thanks again

Sally

VW Crafter - High Oil Consumption - Peter.N.

I wouldn't think that high oil consumption would make it unreliable - unless it runs out of oil of course which will wreck it, so just keep an eye on the level. High oil consumption is normally caused by excessive engine wear which generally only happens at a high mileage but it could be caused by leaking valve stem seals.

Peter