Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - christatedavies

My wife's Golf (mk4 150bhp 6 speed TDI) wouldn't go into reverse today. All the other gears are fine, but not reverse.

I called out the RAC, and he said it wasn't the selector, they were fine, so it must be an internal gearbox problem. Now, if I hold the gearstick hard against the reverse position the car will move, albeit with the ocassional noise.

The bloke said I could get away with driving it for a while whilst I decide what to do...

Its going to cost a bit of money to work out what the problem is with the gearbox, and then perhaps a new gearbox on top = £££

Is there going to be a problem with us driving it like this do you think? Apart from the occasional embarassment from the gears grinding... I know it can't be good for it, but if the gearbox is on the way out anyway....?

Thanks, Chris

PS (I did have a read of the forums and I didn't realise Golfs had such bad records with gearboxes, I thought they were pretty bulletproof)

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - 659FBE

If you can get any form of drive in reverse, the problem is almost certainly a selector adjustment. Disconnect the linkage at the gearbox end and engage reverse here, ensuring that the selector falls into its detent. If reverse gear operates normally, adjust the linkage to VAG's instructions - not a completely straightforward job.

One final thought - has anyone changed the gearbox oil recently and taken the wrong "plug" out? It's possible to remove the locking bolt from the reverse idler shaft - then the gearbox has to come out to fix it...

No, no one has done any work on it recently, however, we have had pretty flooded roads before the reverse went. Would a lot of water 'mess' up the selector?

I know nothing about disconnecting linkages, etc, but I have a mechanic mate and might buy him some beers in exchange for some help if you think its not the gearbox. What you say makes sense...

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - Peter.N.

I don't think water ingress would affect the linkage but it would affect the gearbox if its got inside.

Does it grind when you try to engage reverse, if so the clutch is not disengaging properly.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - Collos25

First and reverse are the same gear using the same motionshaft a seperate cog is introduced when selecting reverse to make it go backwards.If reverse does not work due to damage then usually first does not work either I would check very carefully the outside selectors for damage .

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - Crasher

If you have no issues with the forward gears I cannot see it being a problem with the cables. The ARL engined Golf 4 has an 02M series box, likely to be an EFF, ERF, FMH, JRV or JNA code version. These are known as three shaft boxes where most are two shaft but in addition they have a fourth “reverse shaft”. The other half of reverse gear is on the same shaft as 5th and 6th gear and I suspect you have an issue with the reverse gear selector fork, a £45 part but seriously involved to install as the box has to come out and be completely stripped down and at which point the problem will become clear anyway.

Hello chaps. Just an update.

Took the car to a local mechanic and he found that there was a bit of plastic obstructing the reverse selector rod. He removed this and all is well again. £90 done. We were a little worried it was going to be a faulty gearbox...

Thanks for all your suggestions, particulary for the clues regarding the gear box not being completely shot!

Cheers, Chris

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK4 reverse gear - ChrisGTI2013

Hi Chris,

Was the plastic blocking it internally or on the external selector? I have the same problem at the moment on my GTi and my mechanic seems to think its the gearbox tower that is the problem...