Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - MartynK

Hi All,

I wonder if you guys can help. I'm trying to look for a suitable replacement car for my father

His main concern is;

Fitting in x2 Golden Retrievers and being very comfortable.

He's grown very accustomed to having the full leather and comfortable seats; with all the other extras you can get .Plus the space of being able to fit the dogs without them complaining in the back.

Ideally we'd like to shrink the car down in size a bit as my mother doesn't like driving the car at all as she thinks it’s too big for her. (Can’t persuade her otherwise) and he's finding it a bit difficult to park now (although he won't admit it)

At this point I am at a loss. I'm not really sure what is suitable these days. His travelling includes short trips around town and about once every 2-3 Months a Big Trip up to Hull from the south coast.

It would be nice if it didn't have a boot lip to make it easier putting things in (and the dogs to get in)

I don't really think Diesel is suitable for him anymore as his regular driving is barely 10 miles a day (divided over a weeks worth of driving) and the I'm concerned the current car is not that far away from having some major service costs due to very short journeys as its recently eaten a couple of batteries due to literately driving to the shops 1mile away and back again.

As well as his 2 requirements I'd also like it to be

Smaller, Economical, Automatic, Parking Sensors & Cruise Control.

Any suggestions to replacements?

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - Happy Blue!
Sounds like a job for a small seven seat MPV like a C-Max or Mazda5 and drop the rear seats. Shorter than the size of estate you are thinking of (Volvo V70?).

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I'm not 100% sure he'd be happy to go with Ford, I'd have to guage him on that one, but the new ones look ok.

I think the Mazda 5 might still be a bit big, It might not be but I think to persuade my mother to drive it, it'd have to look visually smaller as well if that makes any sort of sense.

sorry not v helpful really lol

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - unthrottled

Golf estate SE. Easily fits two retrievers in the boot. The boot sill is flat and relatively low which makes it easy for arthritic dogs to jump into.

Anything with seven seats will have a tiny boot, be difficult to park, and be more utilitarian than luxurious.

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - Happy Blue!
Do they do a Golf estate these days? How about a Seat Exeo estate?
Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - Bobbin Threadbare

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I'm not 100% sure he'd be happy to go with Ford, I'd have to guage him on that one, but the new ones look ok.

I think the Mazda 5 might still be a bit big, It might not be but I think to persuade my mother to drive it, it'd have to look visually smaller as well if that makes any sort of sense.

sorry not v helpful really lol

Ford B-Max? That's smaller than the C-Max but my neighbours have one and they put two big dogs in it.

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - Avant

It sounds as if your pa is retiring age or above, so as Happy Blue suggests a B- or C-Max would do him well, being easy to get into and out of as well as ticking the other boxes.

If he's fond of the comforts of his Saab, do Volvo (V40, V60?) have anything to suit him? Ot get your mum to try a Honda Jazz, almost certainly love it and go to work on him. With the low lip at the back and seats that fold flat, the dogs wil like it too.

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - 72 dudes

I think the Volvo V50 would be ideal, as long as he's not looking for brand new.

Plenty around, most had leather heated seats and auto was available I think on petrol 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 versions.

Yes, they still do a Golf Estate, similar size to V50, fewer around especially auto and a bit staid after a 9-5.

Saab 9-5 1.9 TDi Vector Diesel Estate - New Car - ohj1

I think a Volvo v50 would be a good option, too. it's got a big enough boot but isn't too big that it's difficult to park.

Another option would be the Skoda Yeti, it's been praised a fair bit and while not an estate, fits a lot into its size and you shouldn't have any trouble fitting what you want into the boot.

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I think my mum would love a Jazz although I don't think the old mans convinced it will be as comfortable as his Saab, which is probably true. I don't think the Jazz has really comfortable ones especially for their long drives up north.

I will look into the other suggestions as well, they all seem like good ideas. I think we'll have to take him around the various dealers and get him to take longish test drives to try and find exactly what he defines as comfortable

Thanks again for the advice