Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Happy Blue!

Currently overseas for a few days and have rented a Nissan Juke with 1.6 litre petrol engine and CVT auto gearbox.

Impressions are positive on the family as well as the drivers (SWMBO and myself), with a good ride on balloony tyres (16" steel wheels) and comfortable driving position. Surprisingly economical for a petrol with a mix of some motorway driving and serious traffic jams equating to about 45mpg.

Considering swapping my wife's five year old A-class for this, also with 1.6 petrol with CVT. No need for diesel and the urban lifestyle suggests CVT will be useful although seems to lack the new 1.6DCi which HJ says is the best diesel engine on the market.

The boot seems rather shallow until you remove the base and find a deep well, below which is the spare wheel - so that's nice, but will our little dog (5kg) cope? Is the UK model different? At the moment he sits in the boot of the A class with the parcel shelf retracted and attached to a D-ring via his harness and strap.

Family said the back seat was reasonable spacious with good legroom. Nicely built as well.

Anyone any thoughts or experiences?

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - daveyK_UK

I only know of one person who had one for a few days as a rent-a-car and hated the 1.6 petrol.

They used it around the countryside and said it was gutless trying to get up any sort of incline.

Is it the same 1.6 they are putting in the Dacia Duster for £8995?

Their other complaint about the joke was the lack of interior space, despite giving the impression of a big car on the outside.

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - daveyjp
The boot space is hopeless, a funny shape offering no height.

My dad picked up a family member from uni at the end of term with three of her friends. They all had large bags which fitted into his Jazz boot no probs.

Cousin turned up in her Juke and the front seat passenger had a 2.5 hour journey with a footwell containing two bags.

Yes clearly not a load lugger. SWMBO having second thoughts in that regard, but the CVT works well with the engine (1.6 petrol) although have not tried it on big hills - will try that tomorrow.

It suits a purpose and for someone who wants a supermini but with more road presence and easier access its pretty good.

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Craigdm

Now on our third Juke and find them to be great little cars that are easy to find in a car park full of boring Focus and Golf.

Remove the floor in the boot and the boot tidy and there's loads of room in there. We did a week away for 4 people last summer with no problems and can move my daughter back and forth into university with ease.

Selling one of them at the moment though (2012 Diesel) as I have a hankering for a 320CDi CLK...

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Engineer Andy

Now on our third Juke and find them to be great little cars that are easy to find in a car park full of boring Focus and Golf.

Remove the floor in the boot and the boot tidy and there's loads of room in there. We did a week away for 4 people last summer with no problems and can move my daughter back and forth into university with ease.

Selling one of them at the moment though (2012 Diesel) as I have a hankering for a 320CDi CLK...

On your third one already? They've only been out for two years tops! You must've lost thousands on trading them in/selling them privately - why get rid of them after a year or so if they're so good?

On your third one already? They've only been out for two years tops! You must've lost thousands on trading them in/selling them privately - why get rid of them after a year or so if they're so good?

I'm such a good customer that I get big discounts off list price..lol. And I have far too much money.

Personally-speaking a rather inaccurate subject: the Juke is not exactly "nice" looking both inside and out, and (has been said) not exactly "little" - it appears to make poor use of the space (likely due to all the weird angled lines of the car). I think it'll be a short-lived fashion item for young women who can't afford Mini Coopers or Audi A1s, which will end abruptly shen they find out in 2 or 3 years' time that residuals will start to rapidly fall once most people see that they're ugly little beasts.

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - jamie745

Horrible thing. Can't see what purpose it serves at all.

Horrible thing. Can't see what purpose it serves at all.

Possibly to make the Porsche Cayenne the 2nd ugliest car in the world?

The Juke looks like one of those old geezers in a "gurning" competition.

Hmmm I seem to have struck a nerve! Not pretty to most eyes, but I would rather have a Juke than a bloated Mini Countryman. Thankfully SWMBO decided that she did not want one of those.

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - nivir04

which gives you limited access to view<a href="http://www.autolinetransport.com//">Auto Shipping</a>

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Avant

You either love or loathe the looks of the Juke, rather like the Range Rover Evoque. If a car is going to look controversial, it should at least make up for it by being roomy and practical, and it sounds as if the Juke falls a little short. It's a pity that the new A-class isn't a direct replacement for the old one.

Others you could look at for Happy Pink -

Old-shape A-class, if she's happy with hers (there must be plenty of nearly-new ones around)

Ford B-Max (you'd have to buy new but if she likes the S-Max she'll like this)

Honda Jazz (practical although she may not fancy the image)

Skoda Fabia estate

Renault Clio ST

SEAT Ibiza ST

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - daveyjp
Another for the list is the rarely seen Verso-S. Better than the Jazz, but a forgotten model with a Toyota badge.

Edited by daveyjp on 26/12/2012 at 22:03

Ah! Davey and Avant - you do not know that my wife is a closet (and not so closet) snob. She will not let a Skoda into the house. Any car without a 'brand' is suspicious unless proven otherwise whereas a 'brand' is OK until it clearly does not meets its purpose.

So a Juke is a Nissan, but has interesting looks and is a bit 4WD-ish so worthy of investigation. A Ford B-Max - ha ha. No way. She only drives my S-Max under sufference if she needs to transport several children.

Minis are great but the Countryman is bloated so no. Audi A1/BMW 1-series - great but too small. New A-Class does not fit the bill and there is no point in getting an a Mk2 A-Class to replace the one she has. Besides she wants to upgrade to built in SatNav and Bluetooth and hard to find on the Mk2 version.

I will try to get her into a Fiat 500L (dont mention Panda please).

She is lovely really but being from London and having moved north to marry me and having to stay up here cause that's where the money is, she needs to find some comforts!

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - bear807
How about a polo or Ibiza? I think is worth a look since they are ok practical which back seats can fold flat
The thing is, we were not thinking of changing her car. Its just that we got this Juke as a rental and started chatting. The beauty of the A-Class is that it is very roomy for the external size and has a high driving position. I think Mercedes missed a trick with the new A-Class - started chasing a different market, thereby losing sales to potentially repeat customers.

With few exceptions, nothing this small outside has the same high driving position (you slide your bottom onto the drivers seat, not drop down onto it). So standard superminis are not desired.
Nissan Juke - Nice little car - coopshere
Found the Juke much too difficult to get in and out of especially the rear seats. May be OK as a shopping trolly for a Yummy Mummy with two kids in the back but that's it.

If you are a Merc fan the B class could be what you need, not the new model but the one before. Has a flat floor with plenty of room and available with the CVT box. The thing that put me off the A and B class when looking to buy recently was the poor reliability reports.
Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Avant

"With few exceptions, nothing this small outside has the same high driving position (you slide your bottom onto the driver's seat, not drop down onto it)."

That's the gap in the market that the A-class has vacated - I agree entirely that Mercedes has missed a trick, as the B-class is considerably bigger and less nippy (correction, not nippy at all). The Juke (use of space not nearly as good as the A-class) and the B-Max (needs a 6th gear) try to fill the gap but could do better. Did I hear a rumour of a FWD BMW based on the 1-series aiming for this market? And there's a Peugeot 2008 on the way which may be worth a look if they can build it properly.

As one gets older the driving position becomes more of an issue. We need a few more players in the slide-your-bottom-in market.

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Smileyman

Yes, this is why the Juke will work - it's a Nissan and Nissan know how to build cars properly (espcially when they keep Renault at bay)

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - Sofa Spud

The Nissan Juke might be a useful car but it looks like It's styled from an ill-matched selection of left-over styling features from different sketchbooks! It doesn't look pretty now, and it's not going to improve with age any more than a Triumph TR 7 did!

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - countryroads

I dont really have anything constructive to add, but I have to say I think the Nissan Juke is a fantastic looking car, interesting and unique, affordable and well equipped. If it suits your needs, its a great way to stand out a little bit!

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - madf

I know modern car looks are very subjective BUT

a Juke looks as if the owner has lost their taste faculties in a frontal lobotomy. (apologies to any reader who has had such an operation.. or performed one)

Nissan Juke - Nice little car - fredthefifth

Isn't it interesting how opinions vary! Personally I quite like it but then again I always have liked cars with quirky looks.

Just been to our local Nissan dealer now we are home. Apparently the Juke is now outselling the Qashqai. Whatever, we took our little dog with us and he seemed to fit in the car quite well and we can use the ISOFIX fittings to restrain him in the boot, and leave the parcel shelf out.

We offered a reasonable length test drive (with the salesman with us) and were able to test the UK spec car over our local bumpy roads. Very happy.

Only two obvious complaints from SWMBO. 1). there is nowhere inside the car other than the glovebox which has a lid, so you can hide small items (keys, phone etc) from prying eyes. 2). the parcel shelf is really flimsy and attaching it makes you feel that you are going to rip it.

Leasing charges seem very reasonable, I suspect we are going to start the process of changing her A-class.

Get them to fit the optional Centre Arm Rest, or even better buy one yourself and slot it in (You really don't need to use the fixing bolts).

In fact the armrest should really be standard fit as it makes long journeys much more comfortable.