Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - jeff78

Unsure whether to get a new (pre-reg) mark 6 Golf or wait for the new one. Anyone got any advice on what is best to do?

Mk6 is about £4k cheaper, due to discount, than equivalent Mk7, but will it be worth a lot less when I sell it in however many years?

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - Trilogy

Why don't you wait until you can drive a MK7 and compare them for yourself? If you prefer the MK6, I'd have thought you'd find an ex demo one, if no new pre-reg MK6 are left.

As regards comparitive value somewhere down the line, it will partly depend how long you intend keeping the car.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - Falkirk Bairn

>> but will it be worth a lot less when I sell it in however many years?

Sell it 12-18 mths later there will be a difference but probably under the £4K

Sell it in 10 years time the value of the car will be determined by condition rather than whether it is a Mk6 or Mk7.

How long will you keep it?

I bought a Mk3 CRV in October for £20.7K, the Mk4 is £31K list!

To me the new car was better but not £10K better

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - jeff78

Will probably keep it for at least 5 years, doing 10k or so a year.

Like the interior of the new Golf at lot more, finance rates are the same.

Apparently the Mk7 comes with quite a lot of extra kit in comparison to the Mk6, useful guide on it here - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Golf-Mk7-vs-Mk6-336

Agree that 10k between the older and newer CRV is mad!

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - jamie745

Surely even unthrottled could point you towards something more imaginative than a Golf.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - 2.0Tsi
Yeah some muppet will be on in 5....4.....3.....2.... To say that it's a rubbish car and a Focus is so much better etc etc etc or a Hyundai/Kia.

It's not a rubbish car at all. It's just so tediously dull.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - groaver

One person's dull is another's simple and uncluttered lines that age slowly.

Mk 7 if you can afford.

The designers of the Porsche 911 and VW Golf must be the most lazy, overpaid human beings on Earth.

Whereas the designers of the new Focus (inside especially) are worth every penny.

The 3008 is at the nadir of car design.

When the Focus first came out it looked revolutionary, and indeed it was. Nobody had made a car with those kind of sharp lines, funny shaped lights, curvy interior and high tail lights before. Considering it came along only two years after the Vauxhall Vectra, it looked really special.

The second one was an example of toning it down a bit, still a nice car and if that had come out in 1998 we'd probably still have gone 'wow' but it went more conservative. Then the facelift made it look slightly more space age and that car could've continued for a while.

The new one is a pointless object.

MK3 and MK5 Golfs were blots on the landscape, much like the latest Focus. The MK1 Focus was widely regarded as the best car, dynamically, in it's class. The MK4 was better made, but not as good to drive as the Focus MK1.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - Avant

You'll never agree on this one, chaos - beauty (or ugliness) in in the eye of the beholder - i.e. totally subjective.

Personally I find the Range Rover Evoque, especially the three-door, quite hideously ugly - but I'm in a small minority I suspect. I much prefer the looks of its rival the Audi Q3, which many testers say is unadventurous.

Anyone thinking about a Golf Mark 7 should also consider the Audi A3 Sportback which is surprisingly litle more expensive, and which will hold its value even better.

Edited by Avant on 22/12/2012 at 19:30

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - Engineer Andy

If you're looking to by from the VAG stable only, then may I suggest the new (highly-rated) Seat Leon (available from Oct 2012 with deliveries in March 2013), which is likely (I haven't checked) to be cheaper than the Golf, looks better from the outside and appears to be much improved in terms of interior quality.

Not sure about the dealership quality/ownership experience though - hopefully some Seat owners here can enlighten us.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - bear807
I agree with your opinion too, if you don't mind ,consider about seat Leon, is basically the same thing a3,Leon, and golf I prefer the styling of the Leon! Btw I know vw cars are really boring, as I grew older I like it more, don't know why, maybe it has dull to a point the design age last longer than the rest...

I doubt a Leon will hold it's value as well as a Golf. The Seat name just isn't as strong or widely recognized as VW.

Avant, I think the Evoque is like Marmite. The Q3, Q5 and Q7 are Russian dolls, therefore boring IMHO.

I like the Leon, wel I prefer the older one but it's a good car for someone who wants a Golf but doesnt want to own a Golf.

There's inverted snobbery for you!

Not at all. Just a Golf is the most unimaginative car purchase you can make. It screams 'I bought the first car I saw.'

A Seat Leon is slightly more interesting. Cool. Nice car.

tinyurl.com/cwvks26

3. Ford Focus – 5834 sales

5.Volkswagen Golf – 4158 sales

It seems we have discerning motorists in the UK then.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf Mk6 or the new one? - Avant

Don't forget that fleet buyers get huge discounts on Fords and Vauxhalls. I'd guess that the Golf would beat the Focus for private sales and be way ahead of the Astra.

Corsa sales are inflated by people buying what they learned to drive in, but apart from that a lot of Vauxhalls are chosen for, rather than by, their drivers.

I can't imagine too many people have ever said to themselves 'with my own money I'm going to buy a brand new Vauxhall Vectra.' As a used buy it makes sense, but new there's so much more you could buy.

Ford and Vauxhall do give big discounts to fleet buyers but they make no difference to company car tax hence why many go for small HDi Peugeots as the cheapest options or BMW's as the 'sound long term' option.