KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - pinheadplanet

I just went to pick up my new (2007) Kia Magentis (2.7 V6 Auto) having had a good test drive a few days ago. But as I went to drive it out of the showroom it squealed like a little pig, well actually it was more like a great big huge pig! Really loud and sustained. It certainly didn't do this when we went for a test drive.

I'm not going to go into the garage's reaction too much but it would appear they were aware of this and tried to deceive me, but they've said they will try to fix it and didn't know why it was doing that now. They did try to spray some lube on the pulleys and belts but that did nothing. One of the pulleys didn't seem to be running true and was little wobbly, which made the belt move left/right.

I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what it is but I did have a similar occurrence on an Alfa, which was possibly a bent crankshaft???

I have already got all of my money back after having to fight for a refund.

Question is do I still buy it once 'fixed' or do I leave it well alone?

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - gordonbennet

No idea on the fault, other than i really like Magentis and its sister Sonata, both underrated cars IMO.

If you felt uneasy at the dealers reaction and actions before you even drove away then i think you have your own answer, me i'd find another car and dealer.

Did you check the VED costs before agreeing to purchase, no scratch that its only £270 a year, just scrapes in under the big one, phew.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/12/2012 at 21:34

At another dealer the same car, same year, more miles, worse condition is £900 more!

This is my problem, it's a nice car at the right money!

Edited by pinheadplanet on 19/12/2012 at 22:02

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - Chris M

Well now you know why it was cheap!

Dealer knew there was a fault and priced it to get shot.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - jamie745

It's far from a terrible car but you get what you pay for. The Kia Magentis is cheap and it has to be cheap, it looks better than it goes. It hasn't got the quietness, subtlety or intuition (particularly in its autobox) as something like a 5 Series, S-Type, C-Class or even a Ford but they're not supposed to at that price.

On the good side they're from the barn door school of vehicle engineering and as a result they rarely go wrong. They depreciate so heavily if you buy a 5 year old one today it's probably sunk as low as it can in terms of value so it'll cost you peanuts.

All interesting input, thanks, but the question remains: if the dealer says they.ll fix it should i still get it or not?

it has 6 months parts and labour warranty, it's a peugeot 'gold' warranty but i've got no details about what is covered and what is not.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - bazza

Do you still trust the dealer after that episode? I would not give them my business and find another to be on the safe side. Hyundai Sonata is the same car i think. Tremendous value.

No, you're right bazza, I don't trust them, but then all cars 'go wrong' and can be fixed, so once it's fixed that's that, isn't it? (that's not the case with an alfa i once owned, it was one thing after another, but that was high mileage car, anyway that's another story completely)

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - unthrottled

so once it's fixed that's that, isn't it?

Usually, but It's not always that simple (misdiagnosis, subsequent damage to other components etc.)

In any case, would you trust the car? Sounds like you're falling into the BARGAIN!! trap. Look elsewhere and don't look at cars that appear to be underpriced!

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - boristheblade

All interesting input, thanks, but the question remains: if the dealer says they.ll fix it should i still get it or not?

it has 6 months parts and labour warranty, it's a peugeot 'gold' warranty but i've got no details about what is covered and what is not.

Got to ask yourself would you trust the Dealer again ??

If it was a genuine mistake on their part and they are bending over backwards to keep your custom then maybe a second chance .

But.........

If you had trouble getting your money back as you say then the warranty they are supplying you with is worthless tf they cannot even tell you what is covered in event of an issue arising in the future.

Run for the hills keep your money and look elsewhere .

I would not trust this dealer and my alarm bells would be ringing

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - oldroverboy.

Leave it, bit of patience and you will find another. if you look at some of the petrol mondeos or other large saloons there are some bargains if you are prepared to pay the road tax. Just don't let your heart rule over your head.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - Bobbin Threadbare

If it were me, I would leave it. Fool me once, shame on you and all that....

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - leaseman

We have just taken a 57 plate (actually with a cherished K14*** plate on it) off our fleet of lease cars. 47,000 miles with full service history and never missed a beat. Black with Black Leather - super car. Probably goint to sell it at under £3,000 in the North East of England. How does that compare with your mis-purchase?

It's a 57plate, 43k miles FSH Advertised at £2995, agreed on £2850 with a service and fixing the broken sun visor. Looks like it was garaged, good condition. (it had been on sale for £3995, they've had it since september)

I only got turned on to the Kia Magentis after seeing another one locally for £3750 50k worse condition. The guy in the salesroom told me it was really cheap and to go and research the car which is what I did and found the other one I agreed to buy (albeit 70 miles away)

The warranty is Peugeot gold warranty 6 months which I've been speking to another dealer about, looks like it IS worth the paper it's written on.

The dealer phoned me yesterday but I didn't manage to take the call, I'm assuming he wants to tell me the car is now ready. I'm also guessing all they've done is spray it with oil/belt quietener as opposed to replacing any pulley that needs to be replaced.

Do I call him, i'm really torn as to what to do? I wrote to the Head of the Group yesterday (it's a big group too with about 10 manufacturer dealerships) but I've heard nothing in reply.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - Trilogy

If in doubt, leave it. If you buy it and it hasn't been sorted properly you'll feel a twit. I tend go on gut feeling, if you're not happy walk away, even if you are desperate. There will be something else.

I hope that helps you. You don't want to be worrying about it over Christmas.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - Collos25

Why on earth would you want a big engined car a 2litre which there are plenty about are much cheaper to run, insure and tax.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - RT

Why on earth would you want a big engined car a 2litre which there are plenty about are much cheaper to run, insure and tax.

People ALL set their priorities differently, including WHAT they spend their money on.

UPDATE:

I just spoke to the dealer and he has advised me that the crankshaft pulley is being replaced and a new belt fitted, irrespective of whether I take the vehicle or not.

That's it, it's fixed! Do I take it?

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - boristheblade

UPDATE:

I just spoke to the dealer and he has advised me that the crankshaft pulley is being replaced and a new belt fitted, irrespective of whether I take the vehicle or not.

That's it, it's fixed! Do I take it?

Seems to me you have a Heart over Head dilemma

Dealer wants to sell to add to the Account sheet for the last quarter .

If the car is really what you want and there are no other comparisons to it , its also cheap enough then its an easy choice.

But if you have that niggling feeling in the back of your mind that just wont go away

then walk away .

Leave it until after Christmas and see what happens then

Car will probably still there in january so go back if you want. with a fresh mind and no pressure or obligation.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - 72 dudes

Sound advice from Boris. Please take it.

I can tell you're pretty sold on it and it is a lot of car for the money.

They've dropped it by £1000 so it's probably near or at the trade-in price they paid, so they are only going to do/spend the minimum necessary to get it sold.

I suggest an extended test drive before you agree to the deal - 15 miles +

Make sure you really are happy with the way it drives, listen for unusual noises, make sure the auto changes and kicks down smoothly, no grinding brakes, no dash warning lights.

Re-set the trip computer to give yourself an indication how (un)economical it's going to be.

Look for old bills and try to speak with the previous owner.

Finally, I agree with Boris, wait till between Christmas and New Year, then decide.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - jamie745

If you really want it then pay the RAC or someone like that to do a full inspection on it before you buy it. Sounds like the dealer is desperate to get it off his forecourt and if it's a good car he won't mind.

If it can pass one of their inspections then it's fine.

It's nowhere near the trade in price they paid for it. The dealer left the stock sheet on the desk when he went to photocopy something. It was all in code but the clouseau in me decifered it enough to know they paid £1800 for it, so they're still making a bit more than a grand (well, not now they've paid for the sun visor and service parts).

And I did a 10 mile test drive before and the car was fine...

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - madf

And I did a 10 mile test drive before and the car was fine...

But it was not.

The advice you have been given above is sound.

Are they likely to sell a BIG petrol engined car before New Year? Unlikely.

And by March it will be another 6 months older..

If they only paid £1800 for it, you can afford to wait. If they don't sell it, then they can afford to drop the price...

Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

If you really want to buy it, the advice of a proper inspection is spot on... Who knows what else you have missed?

Edited by madf on 21/12/2012 at 16:01

The big petrol problem with these big petrol versions is engine parts are very ex pensive and are mostly an order item I know someone who has had there car of the road for three weeks waiting for a part.You could be waiting weeks for an obscure item whereas the 2 litre bits are readily available and are reasonable cheap.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - RT

The 2.7 V6 petrol engine used in the Kia Magentis is a Hyundai unit, also used in their Coupe, Santa Fe, Tucson, Sonata and Trajet models as well as in Kia's Sportage.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - skidpan

In the original post the writer said:

I'm not going to go into the garage's reaction too much but it would appear they were aware of this and tried to deceive me,

Would I buy from a garage I felt had "tried to deceive me", not while there is a "y" in the day of the week.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

I totally agree with you people are gluttons for punishment no wonder its so easy to sell snake oil.

The 2.7 V6 petrol engine used in the Kia Magentis is a Hyundai unit, also used in their Coupe, Santa Fe, Tucson, Sonata and Trajet models as well as in Kia's Sportage.

Its a Hyundai thats awaiting parts.

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - daveyK_UK

Under-rated car.

The 2.7 pulls alot smoother than the 2.0.

The economy is only 4 or 5 mpg worse in the 2.7.

There is only 1 major thing you have to have done on this car, the cam belt every 3 years or 60,000 miles.

Its the only horror story which creaps up on the USA forums, although on every occasion it appeared the owner neglected the cam belt from the service and expected it to run forever becasue it was a kia.

Get the belt done, and you will have a brilliant car.

I think they told me the belt needed to be done after another 3 years. I don't think it's ever been done (5 years & 43k miles).

KIA Magentis - To buy or not to buy? - daveyK_UK

The belt change on both the 2.0 and the 2.7 is essential, change all the pulleys and water pump at the same time.

There are many reports of both the 2.0 and the 2.7 hitting over 250,000km in the USA and still going strong.

The window motors normally wear out around 9 years old, and changing the auto oil (you must use the exact same kia/hyundai reccomended oil) every 8 years will do it no harm.

I cant think of any other common faults on this car, it will run and run and run.

Simple, easy automatic motoring.