Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - DavLav

A warning light came up on the dash on Saturday. Not familiar with it I checked and it seems to be the particulate filter warning. The owners manual suggested driving at a motorway speed in 4th or 5th for 15 mins to clear the fault. It also states that driving for a(n unspecified) period of time could damage the catalytic convertor. The manual implies that it happens as a result of lots of short journeys, however I do a fair mix of motorway and town driving. I tried the motorway speed drive - didn't wipe the fault though.

Any suggestions as to how to fix the fault please?

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - marty342

Take it to an Audi garage as soon as possible, if not the DPF could very well burst into flames and set the car on fire !!! this is what happens when the DPF gets blocked.

They will be able to clear it if it has not got too blocked.

If blocked you will need a new DPF at about £1000 or more, these DPFs are real bad news to the diesel driver !!!

My V.W. service manager has told me that he has had two cases of cars catching fire from customers at his garage because of DPF blockages !!!!!!

The main problem with DPFs is that the engine must get hot enough by using lower gears to burn off the soot so if cruising on the motorway in a high gear it will not get hot enough.

Try one gear lower you will not get so many miles to the gallon but you will have less problems with the DPF.

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - Collos25

Cars that do high motorway mileage are less likely to suffer from DPF problems compared with town driven low mileage cars .A DPF regen will take place on the motorway when required it will have reached temp after few miles.It needs a coat of looking at but don´t panic people with unsubstaniated statements, there are fail safe systems build into the cars in fact they just stop if the DPF is so blocked or if its not bad they drop into LHM. .

Edited by Collos25 on 17/12/2012 at 21:55

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - DavLav

Thanks

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - unthrottled

Try one gear lower you will not get so many miles to the gallon but you will have less problems with the DPF.

No, you will have more problems.

DPFs can't burst into flames because they are a contained structure. It is possible for a very clogged DPF to regenerate too quickly and damage the channels through overheating, but this won't affect the rest of the car.

If you do reasonable high speed runs, the chances are that you are not having problems with DPF regeneration.The DPF may blocked with ash which cannot be burnt off. In this case, a new DPF will be required.

Or there may simply be a problem with a pressure sensor that is indicating an incorrect pressure drop across the filter and logging a fault code.

Thanks

Thanks

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - oldwrigley

The particle filter system usually has a special fluid that saturates the DPF and lowers the temperature at which carbon/soot burns. This is why you need a longer run so that you can get the exhaust system hot enough to burn the soot out of the filter. Provided you have been using the correct low ash engine oil (VW507.00 spec) then it shouldn't be clogged up with ash. You can buy one shot fuel treatments that do the same thing to regenerate the DPF, Wynns will be the most available one but Forte do them as well and they work well. If the DPF is completely clogged the engine will not run.

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - thunderbird

The particle filter system usually has a special fluid that saturates the DPF and lowers the temperature at which carbon/soot burns. This is why you need a longer run so that you can get the exhaust system hot enough to burn the soot out of the filter. Provided you have been using the correct low ash engine oil (VW507.00 spec) then it shouldn't be clogged up with ash. You can buy one shot fuel treatments that do the same thing to regenerate the DPF, Wynns will be the most available one but Forte do them as well and they work well. If the DPF is completely clogged the engine will not run.

VW do not use Eolys fluid in their DPF systems. Only engines that derive from Peugeot/Citroen designs and also used in some Ford's, Volvo's, Mazda's and Mini's use the system you refer to.

Don't waste your money, Wynns and Forte will not help the DPF regenerate, that is done by the ECU when it reaches a certain level of saturation.

If driving on the motorway for 30 minutes or so at about 2000 rpm has not cleared the light you need to visit a main dealer ASAP and get them to connect the car to their computer and do a forced regen. if you delay the DPF may not be recoverable.

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - oldwrigley

You are completely wrong i'm afraid pal

It's called Adblue and it performs the same task exactly as i have said

as do the forte and wynns products

forte have a 97% success rate which we use in our workshop

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - skidpan

You are completely wrong i'm afraid pal

It's called Adblue and it performs the same task exactly as i have said

as do the forte and wynns products

forte have a 97% success rate which we use in our workshop

Read the link. Where are you going to put the Adblue, it goes ina a seperate tank, and Audi does not have one. The cars own regeneration system should keep the DPF clear. If it does not there is a problem that needs sorting or the DPF is clogged.

http://www.michael-smith-engineers.co.uk/products-ad-blue.htm

You are completely wrong i'm afraid

VW use Adblue and it performs the same task as Eolys fluid

It lowers the temperature at which carbon/soot burns which is why you have to go for a longer drive to raise the temperature of the exhaust to enable that DPF soot burn off to take place

How do you think the ECU can regenerate the DPF without using the additive system?

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - skidpan

How do you think the ECU can regenerate the DPF without using the additive system?

We have 2 cars fitted with DPF's, one is a Kia, the other is a BMW. Neither uses an additive system. Both use the sandard method of injecting addition diesel or injecting it later in the combustion cycle so a quantity of unbrned diesel enters the DPF, burns and heats up the matrix to the temp required to burm off the particles.

Cars using Eolys generally have the DPF located under the floor instead of directly after the catalyst and turbo. Because of this it is impossible for additional diesel alone to raise the temp in the DPF.

And please do not say what I have typed above is wrong, it is fact. As to VW's using Adblue, what a load of b******s.

appologies

i'm getting confused, you are correct that this engine doesn't have the additive system but VAG cars do use additive systems

G052143A2 is the part number for the additive

to be fair some VAG cars use Adblue

but like you say for NOx reduction reasons

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - craig-pd130

I'm afraid your information is wrong.

The AdBlue additive is used to lower NO2 emissions, it's got nothing to do with DPF regeneration. It's only used in some diesels, certainly not all.

It's typically only French-designed and manufactured diesel engines which use Eolys fluid -- but even then, not all of those. For example, the 2.0 PSA / Ford diesel in the Mondeo, Galaxy and S-Max do not use Eolys. It says so in the manufacturer's own literature.

Most diesels (BMW, VW, Audi, Skoda or Seat, Volvo, Ford and most Japanese / Eastern cars) have the DPF matrix coated in a metal catalyst which helps lower the burn-off temperature needed for regeneration, without the need for an additive fluid. This has been the case for over 5 years.

Thanks

Thanks

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI manual (Feb 2008) - Particulate filter warning light - thutu6

More info:
adf.ly/2038788/http://www.storingbooks.com