any - Obstructions on hills - unthrottled

If there is an obstruction on a steep hill, the convention is that the vehicle coming uphill has priority, irrespective of which side of the road the obstruction is on. Does the same rule apply to trucks? Which is the bigger problem for HGVs-brake fade or clutch wear?

any - Obstructions on hills - RT

The convention came about because it's much easier for the vehicle going downhill to get started again, regardless of what/where the obstruction was - but I suspect it's only old-timers that even remember the convention as it rarely seems to be used these days.

any - Obstructions on hills - Sofa Spud

It's a sort of rule and sub-rule situation.

The rule is that if there's an obstruction on your side of the road, before pulling onto the other side of the road to pass it, you must give way to oncoming traffic.

If you're going uphill in such a situation and need to pull out to pass an obstruction, the oncoming traffic still has right of way but the Highway Code advises them to give way to traffic coming uphill where possible.

I once knew someone who had merrily misinterpreted that rule for years behind the wheel and had always driven believing that traffic going downhill had priority! Though wrong, this actually makes sense, since it's more likley to have trouble stopping, especially in the days when brake fade was a big problem on heavy vehilces.

The brake fade issue should lead to reduced speeds downhill to compensate - there's still a requirement to be able to stop !!

any - Obstructions on hills - a900ss
I haven't driven 44T for a while now but I would much rather do a hill start going uphill than an emergency stop going downhill every time.

(Even allowing for appropriate speed and a LOT of energy to disperse 44T going downhill).

I was always taught (HGV training) to use the same gear going down a hill as you would going up it. It's normally about right.

Edited by a900ss on 09/12/2012 at 20:52

PS - just a thought, most units are autos now so a hill start would be dead easy.

No autos in my day though.

Autos?? The rot started with synchronised gears...

I wasn't sure how far service brakes had come on. I was given to understand that the service brakes were pretty much emergency use only and that rearders/compression brakes were the favoured means to control speed. But that might be out of date now.

Similar to you I may be out of date but I relied on compression brakes for control of descent speed.

I thought retarders were more prevalent on coaches than lorries.
any - Obstructions on hills - gordonbennet

Oh boy you sensible lot would soon be put in your places by the modern equivalent of HGV driving instructors.

As i get told regularly on one of the lorry forums i frequent and poke fun at the new methods, the modern way to drive is brakes to slow and gears to go and no other, makes no difference whether the vehicle weighs 800kg or 44000kgs, apparently.

I'm quite serious here, in HGV driver training and testing there are a few things missing, no emergency controlled stop (did that on your car test, just the same), no gearchanging exercise, and the roadcraft method of brakes to slow gears to go means you approach a junction in top gear using the brakes to slow down and select an appropriate gear to move away when needed....yes this is true i am not kidding you, they are not taught to use appropriate gearing and maximise auxiliary retarders going downhill.

Apparently modern lorry braking systems are so good that using the vehicles inbuilt retarder isn't required, the brakes will cope, well they will on a trainers empty vehicle and to be fair they will in most cases on the road, but firstly if something goes wrong you're already overheated and secondly its not how lorry drivers drive...in control at all times and that means in an appropriate gear at the right revs, and BTSGTG causes excessive unecessary wear on the whole braking system..

That'll be why most lorry makers still fit a maximium engine braking system to their auto boxes then, which automatically downshifts to the lowest/highest revving gear automatically when the retarder is used, the makers don't incorporate this because it sounds good or to please old blighters like me, its done because they deem it necessary.

As you might expect pointing out or asking what might happen should the ONE trailer brake application air line burst and the untrained (properly) driver already has overheated tractor unit brakes because he hasn't been using retarder and appropriate gears is met with silence.

Add to this that some 25/30 years ago the third, auxiliarly, fully independent braking system on our vehicles, the blue line, was phased out to make us compatible with the EU masterstate's 2 line system, around the same time we went from a 12.5 hour max working day to 15 cos thats safer too..:)

I'm very sorry for this very long post ( i could go on.;) but i've been driving lorries full time for some 36 years and i'm concerned by the skills not being taught to our new drivers, they really are being taught to pass tests and not drive lorries properly, the lorry is driving itself and they are not controlling it, the age of the steering wheel attendant has come.

Phew, back to the OP, i was taught when i learned to drive at the tender age of 8 that the unwritten rule of the road was 'give way to uphil traffic'.

Well that's probably all hunky dory if they give you a Scania V8 on your first job-hauling a trailer full of crisps. but what if you get given the yard's knackered old DAF??

any - Obstructions on hills - craig-pd130

Apropos of DAFs, when I used to hitch regularly in the early 80s, I got a lift in a DAF 3300 tractor with no trailer, which was at that time fairly state-of-the-art. The driver was keen to get back to London quickly, too.

In those pre-tachograph and pre-speed limiter days, it cruised at an indicated 85-90mph quite happily. It was a weekend so traffic was light on the M4, and I remember the driver storming past Sierras and Cavaliers with contemptuous ease. Incredible given the (literal) barn-door aerodynamics.

any - Obstructions on hills - galileo

I've had the GTGBTS argument with my daughter: although she grudgingly accepts my superior technical knowledge she can't resist saying "Well I've passed a Theory test and you haven't!"

I'm with you 100%, even though I've now got 4-wheel ABs disc brakes, I can still remember how it felt on a couple of occasions years ago when the brake pedal went to the floor with no effect!

As far as car use is concerned I've joined the GTGBTS club. Brake fade is something you read about on the internet, but you have to try pretty hard to induce it in normal road driving. There are obvious exceptions.

For most cars, a bit of additional heat in the brake discs is no bad thing. I now only use gears to slow when i want to heat up the oil and I can be bothered to rev match. Snatching downchanges to save pads doesn't make sense to me!

Although I was taught to use the gears to slow down, not the brakes, I soon took notice that brake shoes/pads were easier/cheaper to replace that clutch plates and started using the brakes - I do, of course, still use the gearbox on steep hills to avoid excessive use of the brakes.