Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - mark193

Hi

I was talking to a taxi driver the other day and I asked him how his Lancer was reliability wise, and he said great - he then showed me the odometer reading - 450,000 miles!! Is it possible that these Mitsubishi (Lancers,Carisma's - of which I own) of covering that sort of mileage without any major work to the engines??

He also added that clutch's last about 75,000 to 85,000 and just to keep changing the oil and filters.With regard to the clutch I don't think that's bad at all considering all the stop start driving taxi's do !!

Cheers

Mark

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Engineer Andy

Not bad for presumably a petrol-engined car! I once took a mini cab home which had done similar mileage - this was an early 00's Pug 406 diesel though...

I wonder if the Lancer was belt or chain cam?

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - mark193

Not bad for presumably a petrol-engined car! I once took a mini cab home which had done similar mileage - this was an early 00's Pug 406 diesel though...

I wonder if the Lancer was belt or chain cam?

Yes these are petrol engines the engine code is 4g92 - I think.!

Like I said, I own a Carisma and that is a belt

When talking to a Mitsubishi salesman the 4g92 engine in the Lancer is slightly detuned for emission purposes, and he went on to say you wouldn't notice the difference from the Carisma, that being 100BHP

Mark

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - primeradriver

The Carisma has the 4G92 -- the Lancer of this period though was a 4G18. 8-valve I believe.

Very good engine -- old-school Japanese. Proof that you do not need a diesel to gain longevity!

We have one in an old Space Star with 120K. Barely run in, and runs a lot better than the much newer Focus 1.6 did.

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Rats

When I worked the cabs years ago, we had a Peugeot 305 (XUD engine) that had in excess of one million miles on the clock, granted it was on it's second engine, but was still going strong and often on the road for most of the day and night.

The cars were well looked after and most on the fleet had pretty high mileages, tyres were probably replaced the most often IIRC....

Oh for the good old PSA XUD engine.........

When I worked the cabs years ago, we had a Peugeot 305 (XUD engine) that had in excess of one million miles on the clock, granted it was on it's second engine, but was still going strong and often on the road for most of the day and night.

The cars were well looked after and most on the fleet had pretty high mileages, tyres were probably replaced the most often IIRC....

Oh for the good old PSA XUD engine.........

Thanks for the reply

Never owned a DERV car - But you are right, the PSA XUD was a great engine

Mark

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Rats
Never owned a DERV car - But you are right, the PSA XUD was a great engine

Better than great in my opinion, wish they were still around, when I chopped in by Citroen BX 1.9D with 105,000 miles, the salesman asked if the mileage was genuine, he thought it was more like half that..........

Edited by Rats on 30/11/2012 at 12:45

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Engineer Andy

I learned to drive in a Pug 205 1.9 diesel - slow, but very dependable. Saw the old thing around town for another 8 years - it must've done several 100,000s of miles by then (it had already done nearly 100k when I learned in it!).

Glad I didn't get the PSA-Ford 1.6 diesel in my Mazda3 (I had the choice of that for only £100 more than my 1.6 petrol [admitably the next version down in spec]) which consequently suffered from many problems as described here. Petrol one fine.

Those old diesels were really "agricultural" but almost bomb-proof. Shame about some of the more modern ones. let's hoep they've solved the problems, otheriwse its another petrol one for me next time (unless I'm doing astronomical mileage).

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Canon Fodder

good slug of torque from that 1.9D, and silky smooth at 3000rpm/90mph in my old '89 BX

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - Collos25

Unfortunately in this clean clinical world the output from the exhaust pipe by today's standards was not acceptable by a long way.

At one time they made the blocks for the Peugeot,Volvo and Ford plus the pistons in Bradford the only difference was the colour the blocks were sprayed.

Mitsubishi Lancer - High Mileage Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 55 Plate (450k) - SteveLee

A friend's Peugeot 504 diesel estate covered over 465K miles with no engine work whatsoever (and very little in terms of basic maintenance!) that car knocked around in the same family for about 18 years until tin-worm finally killed it off - mechanically it was still perfect. AFAIK it only ever had one clutch, which I fitted at around the 200K mile mark. I had to beg them to spend an extra tenner to change the engine oil which looked like black water with lumps of tar at that point!