Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - newmum
Hi. We are considering a Honda FR- V as a family car for us as we like the thought of Honda reliability coupled with 6 seats without compromising boot space.

I'm searching the 2nd hand market with a budget of £6k tops.

This seems to buy something 2004-6 ish.

Our intention would be to keep the car for as long as possible. Currently we do low- average mileage and I can't see that changing much. Mostly urban with a few long holiday trips (and possible addition of a caravan down the line somewhere!).

My questions are -

Would a petrol or Diesel engine be better - was looking at petrol for our type of driving but hear good things about the diesels

How important is miles on clock - we could get a cheaper deal for around 100k mileage but would that be inadvisable?

I have found a good one which has apparently been garaged for 3 years as owners abroad. Full MOT - should I be wary of this at all?

Sorry if these are stupid questions - I'm new to all this. Anything else I should be aware of, or do tell me of you think I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Many thanks.
Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - Happy Blue!

Many people will have different answers to some of these questions - but you are not stupid asking them.

General opinion is that for this sort of motoring you are far better off with a petrol than a diesel. The saving in the cost of fuel will be minimal and the possible additional costs of servicing and repair to a diesel may outweigh those savings anyway.

For the age of car you are talking about, you should be looking more at overall condition that specific age or mileage. The car garaged for three years may look attractive, but most people here would recommend that you consider the effects of age and lack of use on things like tyres, brake discs, brake fluid etc. It may be a good buy if the dealer deals with these issues as part of a deal.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - Sulphur Man

Hello, newmum, welcome to the forum.

We (myself, wife, two children 5 & 3 years) have been running an 08-reg FR-V 1.8i VTEC petrol automatic, EX spec, since May 2011.

It's principally my wife's car, for suburban and town-to-town driving (we're on the Surrey-Hampshire border). It was bought from Chiswick Honda with 17K miles on it, pretty much immaculate. We negotiated an extended 3 year warranty into the price, and 3 year service package, and a small discount.

Probably the best way to sum up the car and our ownership thus far is with a positive and negative list.

POSITIVES

Incredibly practical - More so in my opinion, than many 7-seat MPVs (which we looked at before choosing the FR-V). Where those cars can only offer two small cramped rearmost seats, the FR-V can sit 6 average-size adults in comfort, whilst retaining a decent sized boot.

Fantastic for young children - It has a flat floor throughout. The space between the front and rear seats allows a parent to literally walk through the car fastening up child seats. it takes three Group 2 child seats across no problem. We have a 3-yr old son and a 5-yr old daughter. My wife drives with the both in the front row now. The 3-yr old in the front centre seat, slid back as far as it goes, the 5-yr old in the outer seat, slightly forward. The children love this, and my wife does not need to look over her shoulder into the back of the car to pass food, quell arguments etc.

It's not wide! - Many prospective buyers, and some ignorant tyre-kickers, think this car is excessively wide due to the 3-abreast seats. It isnt. For the record, it's narrower than a Ford C-Max, shorter than a BMW 3-series, more boot space than a Golf.

Wears the rigours of family life well - Our car is the top spec, with leather, climate control, roof bars. The interior scrubs up to showroom standard amazingly well, considering the hammering it gets from family life. A sign of a quality product. Unlike some other Hondas, the interior plastics dont scratch easily.

Automatic drives very well - The petrol auto is a 5-speed torque convertor, smooth shifts and a usefully high 5th gear, pulling about 2350 rpm at 70mph. Unlike some other Honda petrols, the FR-V engine is mapped for better torque, not high revs. The car drives well upto the legal limit. For the petrol auto, expect 34mpg on A-roads and motorways, and 28-30mpg for urban driving.

Utterly reliable - So far. Touch wood, but it feels like it will do 100K without major concern. The drivetrain feels strong.

Nice ride/handling balance - It rides well at all speeds. Tyre noise is noticable at speed, but the EX spec stereo does a good job of drowning it out. It doesnt wallow in corners at all. Good turning circle.

Does a decent van impression - all three rear seats fold flat into the car. The car then becomes cavernous, but still with three adult seats in the front. Better than many midsize estates.

NEGATIVES

erm...the auto-wipers (EX spec) can be a bit erratic.

I'm struggling....

SUMMARY

Brilliant car. Largely overlooked when new in showrooms, good 08-09 examples now command £12-14K, We paid £14K for ours 18 months ago.

Any questions, netmum, fire away.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - oldtoffee

Agree with all the advice so far especially about a car not used for 3 years. If it's been properly stored with wheels off (so tyres not flat spotted) then a change of all the fluids would be good.

I know nowt about caravan towing but I'd check out with someone who did if the 1500kg max towing capacity is really enough given the engine for the type of caravan you might end up buying.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - madf

Honda top reliability surveys.

Neighbours have a 13 years old Honda of similar shape and it just keeps going. Regular Honda servcing and lt is left out all weathers..

Servicing at Honda means they should be indestructinbe and Honda - like Toyota - and Unlike Ford Renault, Mazfd, Peugeot etc - actually support their customers if things do go wrong and it's their fault - in or out o warranty.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - FatBob

I'm also looking for a second hand F-RV.

Although I'm wary of spending £8k on a 5-6 year old car. It'll need to last me another 5 years at least and I don't want to be spending to much on repair bills.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - Sulphur Man

FatBob, go 1.8 i-VTEC, with full Honda service history, if you want to assured of another easy 5 years. That engine is faultless, proven across multiple Honda models.

I should also mention, being a current Mercedes owner, and past BMW owner, that the seats in the FR-V compare very favourably with 'prestige' cars. One of the main differences I notice between mainstream marques and the German brands is seat quality. The seats in the FR-V are one of the few non-prestige examples to compete with a seat in say a C-Class, or a 1-Series. My wife is very fussy about seats, and has no complaints. She dismissed the Toyota Verso, which was a generally good car, because of the unsupportive seats.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - xtrailman

Theres a aticle in the whatcar mag this month on the FR-V.

Honda FR-V - Buying 2nd hand Honda FR-V - questions - roryobryan

We've had an FRV for 2 years now. We really like it.

Be aware that if you want to put a child seat in the front middle seat, which is a really nice feature of this car, then you are advised to slide the seat all the way to the back. This means there is no leg room in the back middle seat, so you have to slide that back too which then limits the space in the boot a little.

We also found that with the front middle seat all the way back for a child seat, you then cant fold down flat the middle seat in the back anymore, so it limits the flexibility in the boot if you have a child seat in the front.

Also from memory, I think it's a struggle to get a second child seat in the middle back seat when you have the child seat in the front and the front seat slid back. I wanted to have this setup so my two children could sit saefly in the center of the car away from side impacts.

So in short, if you are envisioning all sorts of flexible layouts, make sure you slide the front middle seat back and see how it all looks after that...