Polo Variant 1999 - Car will not start - menelik

We have had this car 13 years with no major problems. Two weeks ago we had the clutch changed and note that we cant move into fifth gear - could this be a cause of the following problem:

Three days ago while driving the accelerator gauge went to zero and the car just stopped. Tried repeatedly to start - it turns over but will not crank. Had it towed and diagnostic done came up with a load of fault codes but the mechanics cant work out what is wrong? Can anyone help. We have made all the regualr cheques, fuel, batter, plugs etc etc. Any ideas we are in Ethiopia and need this car to work! Thanks

Polo Variant 1999 - Car will not start - Crasher

Which engine type code does it have?

Polo Variant 1999 - Car will not start - menelik

I have logged in and the forum answers given seemed to have disappeared?

Anyway we are no further ahead....this is a third world country and the mechanics not of western standard. They are still trying to ascertain what is wrong!! Thanks for the suggestions re looking again at different fault codes...we are taking a print out of it to the mechanic....a one hour bus ride away! We will not write again until we can say the car is fixed....dont know when that will be!

Very happy I found this forum and people have been so helpful in their suggestions. a Great site and will recommend it to my friends in the UK.