Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - rickla

I am looking to put some winter tyres on my 2004 Galaxy in readiness for a trip to the Alps in December.

As I am hopefully going to sell this sometime early next year, I am loathe to invest £400 - £500 on decent new tyres - so I have been looking around at part-worn ones.

I currently have 195/60-R16 summer tyres, and the only reasonably priced winter ones in this size (with the High Load rating I need in the Galaxy) are M+S Dunlop Winter Sport M2s, but note that they are sometimes described as commercvial or van tyres.

Does this matter (given the Galaxy is a bit like a van in any case!)?

The spped rating is T - my current ones are H - but I believe that it is common practice to drop down a speed rating when using witner tyres.

Any advice very welcome - thanks

Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - Rats

I currently have 195/60-R16 summer tyres, and the only reasonably priced winter ones in this size (with the High Load rating I need in the Galaxy) are M+S Dunlop Winter Sport M2s, but note that they are sometimes described as commercvial or van tyres.

Does this matter (given the Galaxy is a bit like a van in any case!)?

My local tyre dealer, who I respect greatly, said the tyres on my 2001 VW Sharan were commercial tyres, so, it sounds like you are getting consistent advice to me.......

Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - RT

The old terms "commercial", "van" , "6-ply" and "8-ply" aren't really relevant anymore - it's all down to the tyre Load Index marked on the sidewall which must equal or exceed the maximum permitted axle load for the vehicle.

A number of MPVs and SUVs need tyres with Load Index such that they're considered "van" tyres.

Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - rickla

The old terms "commercial", "van" , "6-ply" and "8-ply" aren't really relevant anymore - it's all down to the tyre Load Index marked on the sidewall which must equal or exceed the maximum permitted axle load for the vehicle.

A number of MPVs and SUVs need tyres with Load Index such that they're considered "van" tyres.

Many thanks - and am I right about it being acceptable/legal/no insurance issue for the speed rating for winter tyres being 1 less than summer?

Winter tyres can, and usually do, have a speed rating much lower than their summer tyres - speeds in winter conditions are expected to be much slower, particularly high performance cars.

In the UK there's no specific requirement to use tyres rated for any more than the 70 mph national speed limit but other European countries require a speed rating higher than the car's maximum speed - which would always be recommended anyway.

Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - quizman

I think T rated tyres are higher rated than H.

I think T rated tyres are higher rated than H.

No, T is 118mph - H is 130mph

N=87, Q=99, S=112, V=149, W=168 - there are others.

Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - oldtoffee
The speed rating for winter tyres may be in your owner manual and if so, it is likely to show a lower rating. I rang my insurance company (LV) and told them and they were fine and made a note on my file. I also dropped them an email confirming it just to be sure.
Ford Galaxy - Winter tyres - "van" tyres on a Ford Galaxy - quizman

Thank you RT, I stand to be corrected.