Ford Focus Estate Mk1 - Replace Front Brake Hose - maxwonga

Need to replace drivers side front brake hose for MOT, have seen various descriptions on the web and dont have a manual, questions are

1 What size spanners are required, assume ring spanners would be best.

2 When bleeding, do all wheels have to be done or just front 2, approx how much brake fluid likely to need?

On another note, speedo doesnt work most of the time and does stall very occasionally at junctions, which going by research is almost definatly speed sensor. Has anyone here actually done one, garage want £90 to do it, I am fairly mechanically minded, looks like to be tricky getting the pin out, any tips would be gratefully received

thanks

Ford Focus Estate Mk1 - Replace Front Brake Hose - madf

Ring spanners will not fit.

If you remove the cap on the brake cylinder and cover with cling film, this will reduce fluid loss.

But I suspect you would need to bleed noth front wheels anyway.

Ford Focus Estate Mk1 - Replace Front Brake Hose - Chris M

If you need the car for work, I suggest you do the job whilst your local motor factor is open. It's not unheard of for the connections to be rusted and you end up replacing the rigid pipes as well. A decent motor factor will have the kit to make up a replacement pipe for little cost.

Don't know the specific spanner sizes, but they will be in the range 10mm - 15mm I would have thought, with my money going on 13mm. Bleed screw my be a little smaller and a ring spanner is definately a good idea to loosen it with. Bear in mind that you may need two the same size for the hose - one to hold the hose and one to turn the nut. One litre of brake fluid should be plenty to bleed the whole system - a good idea anyway if it hasn't been done for a couple of years. Good luck.

Edited by Chris M on 19/11/2012 at 13:49

Thanks for replies, hope the copper pipes will be OK, will give them a drop of wd40 night before i do it. car failed mot on the hose it sorted of got twisted around , god knows how that happened

Well, didnt have the correct size spanners, borrowed a couple of good quality adjustable spanners, got the hose for £9 from ebay, £7 brake fluid, £5 bleed tool, did in just over an hour, Garage wanted £70 vat, car passed MOT last evening, oh and fixed elec window with a slight tap on the motor, so happy days........................ next project speed sensor, waiting for feed back from someone has done that