J reg Astra - known faults? - Ironic_Hero

I've recently acquired a J reg 3 door Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel, and was just wondering if any of you gentlemen happened to know of any recurring faults on this model of car?

Thanks in Advance
J reg Astra - known faults? - Dave_TD
Welcome to HJ's backroom! You'll find a lot on info about Astras in the Car-by-Car Breakdown on the left.
Is yours a MkII or MkIII Astra? You'll find both on here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

I know at least one other forum user here has the same model of Astra, I'm sure they can offer some advice.
J reg Astra - known faults? - HF
I know at least one other forum user here has the
same model of Astra, I'm sure they can offer some advice.

>>

I take it you don't mean me, D?! Me? Advice? In the Tech Room? Those words go together like 'tuna and banana pizza'. Methinks you are having a cruel laugh at my expense!

However, my J reg Astra 1.7 D (it's 5-door, does that make a difference?) has given me (you're making me tempt fate again here D) no problems so far, apart from the snapping of the drive belt. The previous owner, who had it from mid-1998 had no problems either, prior to that I don't know. Mine is a MkIII, I am reliably informed by Dynamic, although how on earth he knows that I haven't a clue.

Welcome, to the original poster, hope you'll enjoy the car and the forum.
HF
J reg Astra - known faults? - Dynamic Dave
Mine is a MkIII, I am reliably informed by Dynamic, although
how on earth he knows that I haven't a clue.

Easy HF. The mk2 ceased production at "H" reg.

>>

Oh - easy when you know how, eh?!
HF
J reg Astra - known faults? - DavidHM
It might have ceased production on H but it was current until October and there are a few J plate (August to October 91, plus left over stock) Mark II Astras around.

Didn't we work it out because HF's has a radio with a separate display, whereas the Mark II (among many other differences) has a standard, one-piece stereo?

Also, the Mark III has rounded indictators that go back into the front wings, whereas the Mark II has much smaller front indicators. (In case the stereo has been changed).
It might have ceased production on H but it was current
until October and there are a few J plate (August to
October 91, plus left over stock) Mark II Astras around.
Didn't we work it out because HF's has a radio with
a separate display, whereas the Mark II (among many other differences)
has a standard, one-piece stereo?
Also, the Mark III has rounded indictators that go back into
the front wings, whereas the Mark II has much smaller front
indicators. (In case the stereo has been changed).

Yes, I remember the radio conversation. No idea about the indicators without checking, which I'll do in a while. But coincidentally I've just received the logbook back from the DVLA, and car first registered in Feb 02 - so I guess this is conclusive proof?
J reg Astra - known faults? - Dave_TD
car first registered in Feb 02

Is that 1902 then HF? ;-)
>> car first registered in Feb 02
Is that 1902 then HF? ;-)

oops - meant 92, as you well know ;)
J reg Astra - known faults? - Andrew Scott
I recall visiting a Vauxhall dealers in March 1992, some 6 months
into production of the F Series and they still had some 1.8 sxi
estate models of the old shape for sale!!

Regarding known faults of the new series, I believe there were numerous problems with the central locking in the first 'batch' of production-microswitches in doors. After some 2 years all F series Astras were recalled to have a modofication to the Windscreen Motor wiring (extra earth wire I believe was added).

Rear brakes (handbrake) appear prone to sticking on in damp weather when the car has been left overnight.

Other items Hazard Warning Light Switches, Round Vauxhall motif on the radiator grill appears to become unstuck ( There was a craze at this time of kids collecting badges).

Wheel trims should be secured with cable ties, to avoid flying off-£15 a trim is a lot to spend on an old car.

I have no specific experience with the diesel engine other than to know it was Slow.

Hope this helps/interests.

Andrew
J reg Astra - known faults? - Andrew Scott
I recall visiting a Vauxhall dealers in March 1992, some 6 months
into production of the F Series and they still had some 1.8 sxi
estate models of the old shape for sale!!

Regarding known faults of the new series, I believe there were numerous problems with the central locking in the first 'batch' of production-microswitches in doors. After some 2 years all F series Astras were recalled to have a modofication to the Windscreen Motor wiring (extra earth wire I believe was added).

Rear brakes (handbrake) appear prone to sticking on in damp weather when the car has been left overnight.

Other items Hazard Warning Light Switches, Round Vauxhall motif on the radiator grill appears to become unstuck ( There was a craze at this time of kids collecting badges).

Wheel trims should be secured with cable ties, to avoid flying off-£15 a trim is a lot to spend on an old car.

I have no specific experience with the diesel engine other than to know it was Slow.

Hope this helps/interests.

Andrew
>> >> Mine is a MkIII, I am reliably informed by Dynamic,
although
>> how on earth he knows that I haven't a clue.
J reg Astra - known faults? - mark
Hi IH

I had a L plate version of this with the 1.7 GM non turbo engine and it was not bad albiet v.slow with prayer required for overtaking activities.

I gave it 5k oil and filter changes using Castrol GTD and it had just over 100k on it when I sold it (I got it at 6k). Overall it was very reliable more so than the DI Vectra that replaced it.

The only weakness I discerned was in the waterpump area it seems these can go from 80k on. Mine went at 96k just before I sold it and I still have a nagging doubt that the cambelt fitted at the local VX dealer (95.5k) was too tight when they put it back together.

as ever

Mark
J reg Astra - known faults? - Dynamic Dave
The only problem my Dad had with his Astra Expression was that the rear windows leaked. Vauxhall replaced the window seals twice, replaced the glass, but still water ran down the inside of the glass when the wind/rain was in the right (or should that be in the wrong?) direction. In the end Vauxhall issued a letter stating "should any interior trim suffer damage while my Dad owned the car, they would replace it" It didn't apply to further owners though. He traded it in a year later for an Astra Club, no probs with the windows on this one. Heard it mentioned since that the early ones were prone to rear window leaking.
J reg Astra - known faults? - Ironic_Hero
Thanks for all the advice, does it make much difference if I mention it's a Vauxhall Astra Merit?

don't expect it too, thanks again.
J reg Astra - known faults? - NormanB
Hi

Have an ASTRA 1.4i Merit on a J Plate. We have put 110,000 miles on it and had it from when it was a year old with 15,000 miles.

It was used primarily by SWMBO and latterly for 3 years by my son. Those last 3 years must have been hell for poor the Merit.

My daughter is just about to inherit so have been doing some 'recovery' type maintenance.

Reviewing our ownership experience in the round I would say b***** good value motor - shame it did not have power steering though.

Leaving aside the normal consumables and service items (brake pads/exhausts/tyres/belts/bulbs) I have had all wheel bearings replaced at various mileages (all in the last 3 years!). The rear brake sometimes seizes on via handbrake - must get that sorted otherwise no other problems. In my prep maintenance I replaced thermostat, cambelt and waterpump, plugs, dizzy cap and all filters. Actually check the pollen filter it does get forgotton!

Bodywork is A1, paintwork faded (not garaged) and still on original clutch - I thought I would let daughter crash the old plates around and I will change once she is competent (if it needs it)
Mine's an LS, IH, so unfortunately my vast reservoirs of technical knowledge in this area will be no good to you ;)
HF