Anonymous Profiles - Fullchat
There are several people I would like to chat with 'off site' particularly those with similar/same vocation (and retired). However they have chosen not to include contact e-mail addresses in their profiles - myself included, for understandable reasons. Is there anyway around this. Perhaps someone that we feel could be trusted could facilitate this. Any ideas?
Anonymous Profiles - Citroënian {P}
Why not just set up a free webmail account and use this for forums? Maybe the way forward then would be to put up your own address (free webmail) and ask people to contact you?

Lee.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Yes, I think Lee's suggestion is the best one available, FC. If you set up, for example, a Hotmail account, you don't need to give any personal info on your email address, just call yourself what you want. I think it's pretty failsafe, so good luck.

As far as asking someone trustworthy on here to sort it out - well, I'm sure the only ones we ALL trust are Mark, HJ, and the other people that run the site - and they probably have their plates full at the moment :)
HF
Anonymous Profiles - Dynamic Dave
Mark, HJ, and the other people that run the site
- and they probably have their plates full at the moment

HF,

memory time again, here's what Mark has on his plate :o)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8375&m...e
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Dynamic,

You should go on 'Who wants to be a millionaire' ;)

HF
Anonymous Profiles - Mark (RLBS)
Two ways;

Put a note in along the lines of "John Smith, please e-mail me at xxx@xxxx.com

E-mail me, and when I have time I will forward your e-mail. I don't mind doing that on an occasional basis, although if everyone started doing it, then I would stop.

By the way, I include my e-mail address, and I've never received spam, viruses, harassement or anything else.
Anonymous Profiles - Phil I
My own experience as well Mark. Have additional Hotmail A/c which I use for sites I am not confidant about and Hotmail have quite effective Spam Filter now so is not a problem at all.

Phil I
Anonymous Profiles - J Bonington Jagworth
I get plenty of spam, but no more than I did before I joined here. I don't think there's any risk from including your address in your profile - as Steven points out, you have to be logged in first to get at it.
Anonymous Profiles - eMBe {P}
This subject comes up every now and again. One previous thread titled "Secretive Motorists" - see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=72...5 -
has contributions by Stephen Khoo explaining why you need not be paranoid about this issue. To quote him :

>>>>> What happens is that search engines akin to google etc. trawl through sites collecting email addresses from web pages. That way one can amass thousands of email addresses to spam to.
It's not hard to write a program to dig through every page on a site looking for email addresses. However, for the dig program to work it needs the following:

- a starting domain for the site.
(it can get this from registration sites, search engines etc. Normally when one submits a site to search engines that is what one is doing - letting the search engine know that your domain is alive)

- a set of pages that can be followed from the home page.
(any page that can't be accessed by following links can't be found by the dig program. So if you need to log in to access your profile with email address etc. the digger won't get to this info. Also some pages open with scripting on the client side rather than html links. I may be wrong but I doubt that a digger will follow these links.)

- a way of recognising an email address.
( the simplest is to find all "mailto: someaddress@domain" tags. There are ways of scripting email tags instead of using to try to get around this kind of thing too.)

Now on this site your email address is never shown on pages as valid email link unless you turn it on in your profile, and even if you do that yoru profile is opened as a popup window so is unlikely to be followed anyway. By contrast, in the small print you will see that we have an email address : info@khoosys.net as a link. This particular address is now starting to pick up spam unfortunately so I may change it to something more related to this site. The only place that we use this address is on sites like this one - so the practice of digging sites for email addresses clearly goes on.

The problem is that spam only increases so that eventually the mail address becomes almost unusable. I have an old btinternet address which over 10 days of holiday collected over 600 spam mails. Only one mail in that lot was one for me personally!!! I think this account collected spam from subscribing to various developer mailing lists. It was not difficult for anyone to subscribe to this list and then get a list of all the members.

One of the worst things to do with spam is to press the "remove me from this list" - if the email looks like it came from a dubious place. What some of these folk do is to use that reply to verify that the email address really is valid - a bit like this site account verification. Then they have a cleaner list of emails to sell to other spammers.
----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net <<<<<<

>>>>>>>>
>> why do the majority of members to this site not
have a
>> viewable User Profile... Have you something to hide?
Yes, my email address so that it doesn't get spammed. I
subscribe to several newsgroups and before I introduced a spam filter,
I was having to create a new email address on a
regular basis. Out of habit that is why I chose to
hide my profile here.

In "My Settings->My Profile" there is an option set to hide your email address in your profile:
"Display my email address in my profile" - turned off.

OK? We did realise that some folk are wary of having their email address appear on a public site
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net <<<<<<<<

<<<<<<
All signed up with a Hotmail account which is in my profile
fullchat@hotmail.com
Mark thanks for your offer - a true gent! Thanks everyone else for your advice, it wasn't rocket science after all!!!!!!
RE: Hotmail,

Not sure if this happens to others with a Hotmail account, but I find they tend to get spammed very quickly. For an experiment I set one up once, but never gave the addy to anyone. Within a week of creating it, spam came flooding in. How did they get the address? I ticked all the relevant boxes refusing to be on public lists, etc. Does Microsoft leak them? I must be on my 7th or 8th Hotmail account by now.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Similar experience, Dynamic, with Hotmail, although I didn't realise this was a wide-spread problem. My own Hotmail account was getting about 60-100 spams per day, NONE of which (since I don't use it anymore, except for occasional Messenger access) could possibly have been solicited by me or been caused by me, simply because I never use the thing!

Somehow it's being leaked, I'm sure, probably in the ways explained above, as in lists of customers being sold to various organisations.
HF
Anonymous Profiles - doctorchris
I find that a bizarre looking hotmail address keeps the spam to a minimum, possibly because it resembles the addresses that the spammers use.
I use Welsh place names with plenty of consonants. Current account uses the name eglwyswrw which really is a small village, just not very well known.
Anonymous Profiles - Stephen
- a set of pages that can be followed from the
home page.
(any page that can't be accessed by following links can't be
found by the dig program. So if you need to log
in to access your profile with email address etc. the digger
won't get to this info. Also some pages open with scripting
on the client side rather than html links. I may be
wrong but I doubt that a digger will follow these links.)

And as a further note to this, notice that your profile is in a popup window driven by javascript and your profile is the only reference to your email address. In short, I don't think a digging engine to find email addresses will follow the link on posts to the popup window with your profile and email address.

On a separate note is it worth having a new facility on the forum where you click on a user and a screen pops up where you can send them an email message using a form with subject and message, but their email address is hidden from you? Perhaps this could be a second tab screen on their profile?
Would this facility need to have the user's consent as another option in their profile or can it be assumed to be OK for all users?

Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Anonymous Profiles - Mark (RLBS)
Well, my e-mail is open anyway.

However, if it wasn't I would not want anybody to be able to send me an e-mail, even if they couldn't actually see my e-mail address.

They could still hassle me using that function.

So, if I was not the moderator, I would absolutely object to such a thing.
Anonymous Profiles - Stephen
.. in which case there isn't any point in adding such a function.

Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
The trick with hotmail accounts is to use a random mixture of 3 or 4 additional letters and numbers somewhere within your chosen account name. Make it up in a way that automatic name generators cannot guess the name. you could spell your name backwards, or use any other simple method to make up a unique address. (Remember that you can still show your real name as the name that recipients see on incoming mail)

Also, as suggested in the "secretive motorist thread", have separate accounts which you use for business, friends, and "public" use on the internet. Finally, set your spam filters on hotmail such that only the people you approve of can reply to you. For example, on one of my hotmail addresses, it is set "exclusive", which rejects mail from anyone whose e-mail address is not on my approved list.

With these precautions, I get absolutely no spam getting through to my hotmail!
Anonymous Profiles - BB
The last time I used hotmail, it had a "email address" directory. Therefore whatever address you have, it is guaranteed to be filled with spam as advertisers just get a list straight from hotmail. I am not sure if this is still the case as I have not used any hotmail account for a year!
There are some tick-boxes in the Hotmail sign-up process that give Microsoft permission to use your details for 'trusted associates' or somesuch. I wouldn't trust MS with my sandwiches, so make sure you untick anything like that (you can do it retrospectively I believe, although that may be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!).
JBJ: What you are referring to is the "netpassport" scheme. This allows YOU to choose to have a common signing in process for members of the passport scheme, so that you can move from one to another without having to sign in on every individual web site and give your details every time. It is a genuine trustworthy scheme. Do not believe every conspiracy theory about MS - they have become ultra-clean and careful since the anti-trust "unfair competition" lawsuit brought against them by Netscape.
Your faith in Microsoft is touching, MB. I grant you that they get plenty of flak, but much of it seems to be deserved. Try reading www.woodyswatch.com/windows/archtemplate.asp?5-18 on 'spy' fields in Word...

They also retrospectively 'ticked the boxes' for all existing Hotmail customers without first asking them, and they talk about 'trustworthy computing'!
Anonymous Profiles - HF
With regard to 'approved addresses' on hotmail accounts - I deleted everyone from my address book after some virus sent a particularly nasty email to them all, which appeared to have been sent by me!
HF
Anonymous Profiles - Dizzy {P}
HF,

Sounds like the 'BugBear' virus which I don't think can be blamed on any particular e-mail account.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
I expect you're right Dizzy. Also, at the time, I was using a public computer which probably wasn't very secure.
HF>>
Sounds like the 'BugBear' virus which I don't think can be
blamed on any particular e-mail account.
Anonymous Profiles - Dan J
Hi HF

I'm making a guess about what happened here....but

This virus is a pain HF and from experience you will probably find this email that supposedly came from you had nothing whatsoever to do with your own PC and is out of your control.

What happens is Bugbear infects a machine and sends out mass emails with various content but what it cleverly does is mask the "From" part of the email to make it appear from another email address thus making it harder to trace.

The effect of this is you receive the email (plus virus) from Xxxxx when chances are they had nothing to do with it and it didn't even come from their machine. We have received emails supposedly from people we know in this way and have also received emails complaining that our own account has been sending viruses out. Looking closely at the header info etc shows this isn't the case at all. If you've ever used your email address to register on any website etc and they've picked the virus up this is often where this can arise from and it's very hard to do anything about it.

It's a bit like having cloned number plates from your car put on someone else's dodgy motor!

It's quietened down on that front now as people slowly get their virus software up to date...

Dan
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Hi Dan J,

it sounds like what you're saying is what must have happened to me! Was VERY embarrassing at the time though! What you say makes a lot of sense, and I definitely think that's the explanation behind my owm experience!

Luckily, having my own PC now, I think and hope that it's adequately protected to avoid a repetition of the above.

Just as an afterthought, since I installed ZomeAlarm, due to a very wise and wonderful suggestion from a member of this forum, I do (hope not speaking too soon) seem pretty well protected. The other day, a mate sent me an email attachment which, I later found out from him, was supposed to be a spoof virus which made the reader believe their computer had failed, when it really hadn't. My comp wouldn't even let me open the attachment, so I now feel pretty safe. But if anyone gets obscene emails from me at anytime, be aware that it's a virus, not me!
HF
Anonymous Profiles - smokie
HF - ZoneAlarm is a firewall, not a virus checker. It essentially stops "intruders" hacking into your computer. I think you probably know this anyway, but just thought I would clarify for you.

Anonymous Profiles - HF
HF - ZoneAlarm is a firewall, not a virus checker. It
essentially stops "intruders" hacking into your computer. I think you probably
know this anyway, but just thought I would clarify for you.

Smokie, thanks - maybe it wasn't ZoneAlarm after all, but SOMETHING wouldn't let me open that email, telling me it contained a virus!

Maybe it was just my anti-virus checker doing its job :)

Thanks for your reply
HF
Well whatever virus checker you might be using, just make sure you keep updating the definitions every so often.

Just out of interest, the Symantec security threat page securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.htm...t lists 14 new viruses/trojans since Monday. So although there is NO WAY you can always be totally immune, regular updates will help.

Your mail attachment might have been blocked by Outlook 2002/XP, which by default removes all potentially harmful attachments (notably anything that can "execute" on your computer). While it is a marvellous idea, it's a bit annoying when it deletes something you actually wanted!
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Thanks, Smokie.

The '14 new viruses since Monday' is a little alarming, isn't it??! Knew they were about, but not so prolific or in such abundance.

I DO let my system do regular updates, whenever it asks me if I want one.

I only have Windows 98, btw, so my Outlook I guess is no newer than that, so I guess I can't have Outlook 2002/XP. So, I'm still guessing that it's my anti-virus thing that's doing all this. And as you say, it's fanastic, but just a little annoying when it refuses me access to something I'd like to see! Still, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Dynamic, coincidentally, the anti-virus program that I have is the one you quoted. Was recommended to me a while ago by one who is very knowledgable about computers. So, I trust it and it's given me no grief up till now (fingers crossed, touching wood etc)I wonder how long you've had this program and whether, just for once, I beat you to it?!!! I kind of know the answer though....
HF
I wonder how long you've had this program and whether,
just for once, I beat you to it?!!!

HF, sometime last July, IIRC. Prior to that I was using Innoculate, but they started to charge for updates, so went over to Grisoft.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Hehehe, I got mine a year ago!!!
HF
If you require a free virus checker with regular free updates, I can recommend Grisoft AGV. www.grisoft.com
Anonymous Profiles - borasport20
If you require a free virus checker with regular free updates,
I can recommend Grisoft AGV. www.grisoft.com

i'll second that Dave - i use the free version at home and we use the paid for network version at work

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Anonymous Profiles - martint123
Depends which version:=
ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe? feature protects you from new viruses, worms, and other malware distributed in e-mail attachments. It also protects you from any old, known threats.

Martin

Smokie: you wrote >>> "HF - ZoneAlarm is a firewall, not a virus checker. It essentially stops "intruders" hacking into your computer. I think you probably know this anyway, but just thought I would clarify for you .. "<<<

Well, the latest free version (v3.1) of zonealarm does have a basic virus blocker built in, and you can have a more sophisticated one in the paid-up PRO version. To quote from the zonealarm tab "E-mail" set-up page:
"Mailsafe ... protects you from known as well unknown viruses ... Basic Mailsafe quarantines these ... " and " If you are interested in protection against additional ..... upgrade to Advanced Mailsafe available in Zonealarm Pro "
So it does, I stand corrected, thanks MB. They have developed the product somewhat since I last looked it over.

But as it says, it is a Basic virus handler, and as far as I can see that extends simply to preventing .vbs scripts which come in as mail attachments from being run. That probably kills a large percentage of viruses. I'd guess that ZA isn't actually aware of any specific viruses, so is taking a "broad brush" approach to ANY possible attachments (similar to Outlook for XP), whereas a dedicated product will know and recognise virus signatures etc and can therefore be more selective. And be updatable.

So my personal recommendation would still be to use the "belt and braces" approach of using an established, purpose-built, regularly updated virus checker.
Has ZoneAlarm fixed the problem with automatically calling home yet? What I mean by that is that I updated ZA as prompted to, but thereafter everytime I booted up my pc it would automatically dial up the internet to check if I was running the lastest version of ZA. I disabled all the relevant tickboxes but it still did it. I resorted to uninstalling and went back to the previous version. Several other people I spoke to also confirmed ZA's latest version was dialing up on boot up.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
My ZA doesn't do this automatic dial up. How long ago did you uninstall it? I've only had it for a few weeks, so I'd guess the problem must have been fixed since you got rid of it.
HF
Unistalled a couple of months ago, and reverted back to the previous version.
Not a bad result!!!!!! Out of 36 replies. 1 from Backroom, 1 from a backroomer, 1 from some company trying to increase the size of manhood, and 33 from what would appear to be porn sites!!

How come my other Hotmail a/c does not receive so much junk?
Anonymous Profiles - HF
No idea, Full Chat - even I get many mails asking to increase the size of my manhood. I guess the only way is to make an addres book of trusted correspondents, and to block EVERYTHING else from accessing your account. And just hope you don't get the email virus that I had, sending messages to those in your address book!
HF
Has ZoneAlarm fixed the problem with automatically calling home yet?

It appears not to have been fixed yet. Downloaded latest version and installed. Rebooted as suggested and dialed up the net as before. Have reverted back to version 3.1.291 again with no further probs. I know its not just me, my mates pc did the same when we tried it on his.
Anonymous Profiles - HF
Dynamic I'm really sorry - that doesn't happen to me. Describe apropriate punishment and I will abide by it :(
HF
Anonymous Profiles - Dave_TD
Hmmm, I've got ZA ver. 3.1.395, seems to work alright for me. Is that because I'm permanently connected on broadband? I don't leave the PC on all the time, but I've got it set up to connect on startup.
I've got that version on narrowband (dial-up) and it's fine. It works OK with Opera, too.
Anonymous Profiles - chris p crisps ©
Hmmm, I've got ZA ver. 3.1.395, seems to work alright for
me. Is that because I'm permanently connected on broadband? I don't
leave the PC on all the time, but I've got it
set up to connect on startup.

>>
from my experience as i have both dial up and broad band installations at different locations ,Zone alarm v3.1.395 will try to dial at boot up on a pc using dial up network ,but does not on a pc using broadband

chris
HF,

I think that's because IIRC you use AOL. The way AOL connects to the net is totally different. Doesn't it use its own interface? It doesn't use Dial Up Networking like a lot of the other ISPs do. I know someone else that uses ZA with AOL and he has no probs either. I would have thought ZA would have done something about it by now - ZA v3.1.395 has been released since last Oct. I have been told they are aware of it.