Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Cluedo

I see that Toyota has issued another recall for steering related issues now on Corolla, Avensis and Prius models.

I appreciate that there are getting a few too many of these but I continue to have the utmost respect for Toyota as a Company and the fact that they refuse to hide these issues and risk the bad publicity to do what is correct for the customer.

My understanding is that the fault leads to a potential noise in the steering mecahnism only and is not safety related yet they continue to publicise this. Any other company would probably just wait until the customer complained and then fixed it as teh customers raised it and not gone public at all.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Roly93

I see that Toyota has issued another recall for steering related issues now on Corolla, Avensis and Prius models.

I appreciate that there are getting a few too many of these but I continue to have the utmost respect for Toyota as a Company and the fact that they refuse to hide these issues and risk the bad publicity to do what is correct for the customer.

I am no fan of Japanese cars, however our little Toyota hire car in the States did take us and all our luggage through the Borego desert (southern California) in the mid-day heat back in August, which is no mean feat for any car at temps of 46C and some steep gradients too ! I could see quite a few prestige cars which may not have stood this !

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Oli rag

Top marks to toyota, it's a lesson in standing by your product.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - heawilliams

There are reprotedly 75000 cars affected in the UK, yet there have only been reports of 9 problems in Europe. The water pump problem on the Prius has only had three occurances in Europe. Factoring this into the UK conservatively guessing there have been about 3 steering rack problems and 1 pump failure here. If there are 300 Toyota dealers in the UK the chances are that probably only 1 in 100 will have seen this problem.

Today my daughter's 2008 Mondeo has had some pretty serious work done on its steering rack, having been warned that the car was dangerous to drive. The garage that did the work says that it was a common failure, and they have handled several such incidents. The fact that the garage had several failures of the same type against the 1 in 100 Toyota experiuence speaks volumes. Ford be really taken apart by the motoring press for not fixing a known dangerous problem, yet the bad publicity will focus on Toyota.

Have to say that on the two Ford cars I've had both suffered from "Common Failures" (some being the same as that my dad had on his cars in the 1960's) and its one of the reasons I've abandoned Ford. I've just bought a Toyota and several people have said that they are not good because of the numerous recalls, but having understood the latest recall I'd much rather stick with them than buy a Ford.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Snakey

Agreed.

After getting rid of my Passat as VAG wouldn't replace the dangerously faulty injectors I will certainly be looking towards Toyota for my next car. Ok, VAG finally agreed to do something about the injectors but its way too late for my liking!

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - mark999

Agreed.

After getting rid of my Passat as VAG wouldn't replace the dangerously faulty injectors I will certainly be looking towards Toyota for my next car. Ok, VAG finally agreed to do something about the injectors but its way too late for my liking!

+1 After having a new Mercedes V-Class with some worryingly dangerous faults, its refreshing to see a manufacturer actively sorting problems out.

Mark

Edited by mark999 on 24/11/2012 at 20:37

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - TeeCee

Exactly. Who would you buy a car from?

a) A manufacturer who you know will recall and fix its vehicles should a common fault be found that could lead to a breakdown?
b) A manufacturer who will only recall for safety-critical issues when forced to by the authorities and who, when faced with a common fault, will deny it exists at all in the hope that the mugs who bought their cars will cough up to fix them?

Examples of the former: Toyota as mentioned, Nissan (Crank sensor failure on 1.8 Primeras). Any others?

Examples of the latter recently around here: VAG (Bosch ABS/ESP units, Siemens injector failure), Volvo (catastrophic early timing belt pulley failure on D5 engines), Ford (Injector seal / turbo failure), BMW (Swirl flap ingestion destroying engines) and many, many more.
Of that selection of horror stories, as far as I know the only one where the manufacturer has belatedly admitted to the issue and instructed its dealers to fix for free is VAG over the Siemens injector issue. Even then that's not a recall, only an instruction to fix it FOC when it occurs.

Edited by TeeCee on 15/11/2012 at 13:53

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Collos25

Toyota use a production method called "First time right and just in time" this method was introduced just after the second world war by a Professor Duran during the process if a component is faulty then the supplier must pay for the down time and all the remedial work and pay compensation to Toyota.

The question arises would you buy a car from a company that relied on third party equipment manufacturers to do your testing bearing in mind steering is a pretty serious part to go wrong.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Ernied

Apparently the steering problem is a splined connector. These are MOT testable items, and a loosened joint isn't uncommon. Usually, nipping up the clamping bolt sorts the problem out, but a badly worn spline will need replacement. Many are designed in such a way that if the clamping bolt is present, even a totally worn spline won't result in steering failure, just noisy, with more free play at the steering wheel rim. I bet that hundreds of Toyota splined joints have been replaced under the MOT and repair process, with nobody batting an eyelid - just wear and tear. I think Toyota's problem is that the fault has been found on newer models, maybe due to wrong spec. metal or inadequate tightening.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - madf

. I bet that hundreds of Toyota splined joints have been replaced under the MOT and repair process, with nobody batting an eyelid - just wear and tear. I

I'll bet you made that up with zero evidence.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - daveyK_UK

I can honestly say, Hyundai/Kia are probably the worst when it comes to recalls, they are notriously good at ignoring common, major failings with their products.

They may have 5 or 7 year warrantys, but it doesnt change the fact there have been some real quality issues with the hyundai/kia group in the past which have been white washed due to the low sales volume.

Vauxhall have an average recall when it comes to safety issues, but vauxhall never seem to recall due to some pretty big and very common quality issues which afffect most customers.

And thats a major reason on a personal level and in my profesional life, I will never own a Vauxhall or procure a Vauxhall again.

When common faults where occuring across our fleet, they continued to point blank refuse to see it as a large quality issue (and in need of a recall), and tried time after time to point the blame at the individual cars and vans despite our senior fleet manager showing them how common the failures where in our fleet and in the case of the Vectras how common the failures where in our contract partners fleet as well.

How many CIM module failures do you need from every single vectra in a 30 car fleet for them to not accept its a quality issue which requires a recall instead of the usual excuses of wear and tear, 'one off' bad cars, etc.

And at a recent event, the Vauxhall fleet contracts manager couldnt grasp the fact they only ever get sales when they offer their vehicles at give away prices.

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Auristocrat

"I bet that hundreds of Toyota splined joints have been replaced under the MOT and repair process, with nobody batting an eyelid - just wear and tear."

If you look at HJ's MOT Files, the MOT failure rate on steering for Toyota is 0.8%.

Compare that 0.8% MOT failure rate on steering to: Ford - 2.8%; Volvo - 4.6%; VW - 2.2%; Nissan - 2.9%; Mercedes Benz - 3.0%; Hyundai - 2.3%; Honda - 1.4%; Vauxhall - 5.9%; Peugeot - 3.5%; Renault - 9.5%.

Edited by Auristocrat on 15/11/2012 at 15:55

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - VEC786

Examples of the latter recently around here: VAG (Bosch ABS/ESP units, Siemens injector failure), Volvo (catastrophic early timing belt pulley failure on D5 engines), Ford (Injector seal / turbo failure), BMW (Swirl flap ingestion destroying engines) and many, many more.
Of that selection of horror stories, as far as I know the only one where the manufacturer has belatedly admitted to the issue and instructed its dealers to fix for free is VAG over the Siemens injector issue. Even then that's not a recall, only an instruction to fix it FOC when it occurs.

any more examples.. would love to know...

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - VEC786

any more examples.. would love to know...

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - Galad

My 2007 Avensis (petrol) hasn't missed a beat (60k miles) since I bought it 18 months old from main dealer. However, I did notice a knock in the steering column from the day I bought it - typically happens when driving over humps in the road and I've just got used to it. Interestingly, the dealer's technician noted the knock at first service and logged it in the service documents but was unable to diagnose a fault. I haven't had any issues with the steering but on the very odd ocassion I have experienced a strange feel to the steering wheel which comes and goes in an instant.

Looking forward to getting it sorted finally. Anyone know how long the repair takes in case I have to take a day off work?

Toyota - Well Done - Another Recall Toyota - jamie745

At least Toyota acknowledge the problem unlike BMW who try to convince you it's all in your mind.