Polo - Supermini advice - green28

Hello everyone,

Thinking of ordering my first brand new car in January. I think I've narrowed it down to the Polo, either the 1.4 Match or the 1.2 TSI SEL or R-line.

I've heard bad things about the 1.4 petrol engine, but this car works out a full £2,000 cheaper than the TSI. Do you think it's worth the extra investment to get this engine I will have the 3 year servicing package)? I prefer the R-line to the SEL (it's cheaper and looks nicer), but this is unfortunately one of the only trim levels that don't come with one year of free insurance (both Match and SEL do).

I've also considered the Fiesta (too many around?), Ibiza (heard bad things about SEAT dealers and concerned about residuals), 1.6D C30 (think I want brand new which puts this out of budget) and the new 208/Clio. Not at all sure about the Clio styling but reserving judgement til I see one in the flesh. Atm though, Polo tops the list because of it's good residuals and styling. I'd be covering only about 10,000 miles a year and will probably have the car for 5 years. I've read endless reviews but still struggling to come to a decision.

Any advice from those more in the know would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone. :)

Polo - Supermini advice - Avant

There are a lot of cars in the supermini sector, but the Polo is one of the better ones. It's quite expensive but compensates for this by holding its value well. The 1.4 (85 bhp) is less powerful than the 1.2 TSI (105) and thus cheaper (but in SEL trim not by much): I believe the 1.4 is a perfectly good engine if performance isn't a priority; if you want lively and nippy, go for the 1.2 TSI. Avoid the lower-powered 1.2s.

Bear in mind that the Audi A1 1.4 TFSI Sport (121 bhp) is about the same (list) price as a Polo 1.2 SEL and will hold its value even better. It's the one I'd go for.

Polo - Supermini advice - sajid

have you considered other makes besides, vw, for honda the jazz would have been ideal, the 1.4 or the hybrid, you getting the reliability, and its more roomier than the polo.

look at other makes hyuandi i20 that being refreshed,they offer a 7 year warranty, or toyota yaris with 5 year warranty, either of them would be suitable,

Polo - Supermini advice - bathtub tom

Should you even be considering a diesel at that annual mileage?

Polo - Supermini advice - bear807
I currently driving one 1.2 coming from a Honda jazz, I have to say I'm very satisfied in every bit,only practicality not better than the old car.

Talking about the 1.2 engine, don't think is underpowered if your are driving a similar engine size car, good in town, not overworked on motorway, cruising at 80mph is capable enough. Only disadvantage would be noisy because the 3 cylinder sounds like a diesel clutters alot.

Build quality is top notch in its class, don't compare it to the premium superminis like a1 or mini, compare it to the fiesta, I think ford doesn't know how to make door handle, is so harsh and cheap, speedo is modern white light red dials and white display. Dash maybe boing stuff but hell is a typical vw style and also aged better. Door is solidly heavy, you get ensuring thug sound when close where jap cars cannot match.

Ride quality is surprising good for it size even for 1.2. Consider quiet enough and don't get blow around by those hgv like when I am driving the jazz.

Practical is good for is size, but really cannot compare to jazz. Seats fall flat not like fiesta which cannot.

If a1 1.4 tfsi is same listing as a 1.2tsi or r-line is definitely more sensible to buy that, like what above said which will hold its value well. The tsi engine is very good in my opnion, drove a golf 6 with it, flys on motorway beautifully even
100mph, very good consider is a 1.4 it feels like a 1.8 at least. If you don't need power much 1.4 is more than good enough. Avoid the dsg box totally as I think there is some problems with it. I think there is an offer now when you buy 1 you could have free insurance for a year. This car is best in white or grey colour!

Edited by bear807 on 13/11/2012 at 08:24

Polo - Supermini advice - chewer1

I got the 1.4 Polo 2.5 years ago and have been very pleased with it. At the time I read that they could have heavy oil consumption but mine uses nothing noticable between services.

I find it smooth and well suited to the car although I am not really interested in shaving a few tenths off the 0 to 60 time. The 1.2 TSI gets good reviews but I have found the 1.4 to be a good engine.