VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate - pat76

On a previous thread I was debating going petrol over diesel for my next car. However after thinking logically (i.e. not every diesel owner suffers a turbo failure, or countless DMF replacements) we have both come to the conclusion that due to our mileage each year we would be around £700-£800 better off (and that is a conservative estimate) by going diesel.

However I'm also aware of potential pitfalls, especially with newer engines with DPFs, and with certain problems with older engines (i.e. 2 litre VW units).

I've noticed a couple of the older 1.9 TDIs for sale in an Estate version, obviously well within my budget unlike other engines, and wanted to make sure I am correct in thinking this is generally a reliable unit. I haven't read any underlying problems that plague users. I know it is slightly rougher than the newer common rail versions but that means very little to me.

I need fuel efficiency over refinement and also a solid lump of an engine too! The two I am looking at in the near future have around 59k on the clock and are from 2008. I have been in a couple of golfs with the same engine, and although quite loud at cold idle, both seemed quite quiet on the move, and with a fair bit of pull too!

My other options were the Mondeo 2.0 TDCI and the Mazda 2.2D, but from what I have researched, there is definitely more of a majority in saying the VAG 1.9 is probably the pick of the bunch reliability-wise (and less oil-thirsty too!)

Thanks for your views!

VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate - Avant

Yes - if you've worked out that diesel is best, then a VW or Skoda with the 1.9 TDI engine is the way to go, followed by the Mondeo.

There are lots of Mondeo diesels that give sterling service, but I'm not sure whether the Mazda 2.2 has overcome the high-mileage failures that affected the 2.0. Someone on here may be able to answer that one.