Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - simon3030

Looking for my boss to replace my 57 plate Honda Accord EX with something smaller, but similar spec, so have been looking for a nearly new Titanium X with nav & sunroof, to match the spec of the Accord.

I've driven one on the standard multispoke 17" wheels, but there are more around with the five spoke 18" wheels...bearing in mind that the Focus has such good ride quality, and that HJohn is always going on about low profile tyres/bigger wheels ruining the ride, has anyone any experience of the 18" wheels?

Thanks

Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - Graham567

I have a Titanium X Mondeo on 18" wheels and find the ride perfectly acceptable.Much better than on cars with smaller wheels infact.

I do find that when i put my 16" winter wheels on the ride is noticibly softer and more forgiving.

Dont forget that 18" tyres are very expensive.The Continentals that are on the car are £150 a pop.You can buy tyres around the £100 for lesser makes but the 18" are alot more expensive than smaller tyres.

Also another problem is curbing the alloys on 18" wheels.The tyre is not high enough to be above the curb so if you miss judge your parking(very easy parking on the off side) then you'll damage the alloy.

For the look and stance of the car 18" snowflakes are brilliant but if the ride is important to you then go for 17" or less.

Its really down to personal preference but in general the ride for me is perfectly acceptable on 18" rubber.

By the way,its useless in the winter on ice and snow.The car slides all over the place.Hence why i change the wheels and tyres to 16" winter tyres when its starts to get cold.

Hope all that helps.

Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - Ben 10

I have a Zetec S Focus on 18 inch wheels. Ride very comfortable. Go for them, they look better than the smaller options.

Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - MikeTorque

I'd recommend the highest profile tyres as possible as they provide a superior ride quality & reduce road noise. That means the 17", although the 16" offers a more comfortable ride and less road noise into the cable.

Whilst the car is fairly new the suspension is more comfortable but as the mileage increases the ride goes off and the larger wheel size (lower profile tyres) do transmit more bumps and thumps whereas the higher profile tyres compensate & contribute sigificantly to enhancing both ride quality and reduced road noise.

Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - pinkpanther_75

Just to echo the previous comments - I've just downsized to 16" (205/55/16) tyres on steels rims from 17 (225/50/17) tyres for winter and am enoying the smooth ride.

Plus the 18" option will be a more costly proposition to replace than the smaller size.

Edited by Seant on 09/11/2012 at 20:48

Ford Focus Titanium X - Focus - 17" or 18" wheels - daveyjp
" Go for them, they look better than the smaller options."

I'm still yet to drive a car I can see the outside of when driving it and when it's in the drive I don't spend my time looking at it.

18s mean potentially quicker wear as they will be softer and as others say replacements aren't cheap.