Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - FrancePaul

Looking to treat myself to a 2/3 year old E Class saloon. Needs to be automatic and I quite fancy the flippy paddles to gearshift. I like my cars to be fairly quick but not to AMG standard. Therefore fuel economy is not an issue here. Can anybody recommend a model and also what models should I avoid. Thanks

Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - Collos25

Why not try a few different types and see which one you like afterall your the one who is going to drive it.

Having had e class as company cars I was given a 220 cdi quite fastest enough for europe anything bigger then you are asking for points on your licence.

Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - 72 dudes

Personally I'd rather go for an E320 Cdi, great performance with reasonable economy and not silly road tax.

The E280 doesn't seem to offer much better economy or lower tax than 320.

220 is 4 cylnder and known to be a bit gruff, but 44 MPG and decent enough power. (150 or 177 bhp depending on age)

200 a bit underpowered?

Will try a few different models out, but I will certainly look for something with comfort and a bit of "omph" as that is what I like. The E 320 cdi seems a good idea though, so shall have to go and get a test drive arranged. Thanks

Are there any particular models that I should avoid, and model years? Thanks

Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - BenG

Avoid mid-90s to mid-2000s models due to rust problems, but then it sounds like you are going for a later model anyway. Maybe check the Merc forums for guidance? E.g:

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=94187

Hi BenG yes I am looking at a car that was put on the road in 2009 or 2010 so hopefully rust and other issues will not be a problem.

Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - Collos25

Rust has not gone away some B class cars are riddled with rust as are some E and C class cars 18months old.A report in last weeks Autobild puts the B class as having one of the worst rust problems it as ever seen.A UK E class from 2002 to 2008 E211 were the best made cars they tried to rectify their reputation in the UK and Germany but later cars appear to have had a relapse in quality and is reflected in sales dropping like a stone with BMW and Audi jumping in on the quality bandwagon.

Mercedes E Class saloon - which one to buy? - BenG

That's shocking. It's amazing a manufacturer like Mercedes would throw away their quality reputation AGAIN, after the prolonged rust debacle in the 90s-2000s...