Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - millmeister

Today I took a look at a lovely looking 3 door silver Polo 1.4 TDI (2003). Looks in great nick, one owner, full service history at VW service centres.

Caveats are that it's done 87,000 miles and the dealer is asking for £3,000.

The cam belt was recently changed but realistically, is this a bit steep for a car that's done nearly 100k?

Any thoughts appreciated thanks.

Edited by millmeister on 31/10/2012 at 16:58

Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - csgmart

It seems expensive to me.

I would compare prices on Auto Trader and ebay - there should be plenty of Poos around with similar spec and mileage to judge against.

Personally I would have thought you could get one under £3k but I've not checked so could be wrong.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I can't find many sub £3,000 Polo's in my area but will keep looking. Like you say, there must be some out there.
Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - SteveLee

£3K would buy you an absolutely mint low mileage Citroën C3 1.4 HDI, it will be better equipped and more comfortable than the Polo - just as economical - perhaps even more so. At least a third of your money is buying a shiny silver badge.

Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - VEC786

my advice to you is to look around and take your time and hopefully you will find a good one,try looking for a fabia diesel same underpins as vw.

Thanks all. Will let you know how I get on.
Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - madf

My neighbours had one. They objected to £500 service and repair bills and bought a Soul.

Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - KenC

My thoughts are, its a 9 year old car, there are bound to be problems with it

1. Is the dealer offering you a GOOD guarantee ? eg at least 6 months on all key engine components ? (if not why not) for that price I would want a 1 year warranty with no strings ifs or buts.

2.If this vehicle develops a significant mechanical problem , you could end up having to spend a third to a half of its value one one repair.

3.How many years do you want to keep it for/how many miles ?

4.Why not buy an upto date Parkers Guide, if the dealers price is way out tell him Xmas is coming and money is short, walk away unless he offers a realistic price.

5.Is it a one owner car ? have you asked to see the reg book ? if so approach the owner and ask him about the car, you may find out why it was sold and for how much.

6.Has it ever been crashed ?

Volkswagen Polo - 1.4 TDI: opinions please - madf

Beware . that engine /time often needed new wiring harness for engine..