Zafira Diesel Heating - Jack
My Zafira Diesel takes an age to register temperature (say 5 miles) and is slow to provide decent internal heating. Can any other owners confirm whether this is normal for such an engine, or should I suspect the thermostat?
Zafira Diesel Heating - BrianW
Suspect the thermostat.
No engine/heater should take more than a couple of miles to come up to full temperature.
Zafira Diesel Heating - Dave N
Many new style diesels take a while to get hot as they are very thermal efficient. That's why many now come with a webasto heater that runs off the diesel to help the water get up to temperature quicker.
Diesel Warming-Up Time - Dave_TD
Hmmm, my Octavia is taking longer than ever this last few weeks, I put it down to the cold weather. But where mine takes a good 4 or 5 miles until you can unzip your coat, even slightly, SWMBO's Pug 405 D Turbo is giving some warmth within the first mile... Should I ask to get the Skoda 'stat changed or at least inspected at the next service?
Cooling system never been touched, contents of header tank still bright pink, car 20 months old, 135,000 miles.
Diesel Warming-Up Time - AndyT
I understood that the Octavia (and Fabia diesel) have an aux electric heater used from cold to speed up heater warm-up, although I'm not sure of what design it is.

On my Clio dci, I noticed that in one of the heater coolant pipes there is an alloy cast housing which contains what looks like three glow plugs. Obviously there to aid the heater in cold starts during the winter.