Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - dg200

I will be driving steadily along at say 60mph all is well. Then, suddenly, the STOP light flashes and the temperature gauge rises to the red zone. I then stop, there is nothing actually wrong (i.e. not overheating, water fine, oil fine). Turn the ignition off, restart and the car is back to normal. Then it happens about 30 minutes later. And so on.

A couple of observations - firstly, this only happens during Winter time, it does not happen in mild temperatures. Second, we have changed the temperature sensor 3x and not solved it! Thirdly, it only ever happens when plodding along at 50mph plus.

Anyone any ideas what might be the issue here? Thanks - it's going to drive me nuts again this winter.....

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - unthrottled

Could it be an airlock in the cooling system? Perhaps in winter, the use of cabin heat can cause any air bubbles to settle somewhere where they cause an obstruction to coolant flow? I'm clutching at straws here. BTW, does the heater always blow hot?

thanks for answering. Yes, it always blows hot when in use. I thought it might be connected to the cabin heater, so I've driven with no heating on and it still happens! Ditto other in-cabin electricals. How would you go about getting rid of an airlock?

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - TeeCee

firstly, this only happens during Winter time

Obvious question, is the cooling fan working? Let the thing sit idling and check the fan cuts in when it should.

In warmer weather you'll be running the airco and its fans could be disguising a problem with the dedicated rad fan.....

Thanks for the idea - will check it out tomorrow.

Yeah, the fan works fine.

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - unthrottled

But once you get past about 20mph there's plenty of air blowing through the radiator anyway.

You get rid of airlocks by following the specified bleeding procedure which can vary slightly for different engines.

How quickly does the temperature gauge move into the red? The actual temperature can't shoot up in a couple of seconds, so it might be an electrical fault. The humidity is much higher in winter so there's more chance of moisture working its way into any breach in the wiring loom. Might be worth following the CTS wire back to the ECU and using a liberal dose of WD40 to try to dislodge any moisture.

Yes, it literally goes from steadily sitting at 60 on the temperature gauge straight up into the red zone in a couple of seconds. As I say, there is no actual overheating taking place. And when you turn the ignition off and restart straight away the temperature goes back to where it actually is i.e. back to 60.

Is it possible that the temperature can get too cold? The needle is always right on 60 and was just wondering whether the cold air blowing through at those speeds pushes it too low?

Will have a look at the wiring. Thanks.

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - kitchenfitter

Hi Can you tell me if you resolved the problem as I have the same problem

steve

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - DENIN

Hi there i am having the very same problem, stop signs comes on and heat gauge shoots up, yet engine still cold not ove heating at all...is this just a technical fault with peugeots which happens in winter perhaps? thanks Trish

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Gibbo_Wirral

I've seen it on a few 307s, it was a faulty temperature sensor. A new one was about £12 from Peugeot, took five minutes to swap out.

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Anjan wijesinghe

Hi trish

did you manage to solve the problem?

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Anjan wijesinghe

check this link also

www.peugeotforums.com/forums/206-35/206-coolant-te.../

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Amy Crawshaw

Did anyone actually figure out the problem here?

My 206 has just started doing this, I had the temperature sensor changed and it went 3 weeks before doing it again. My garage thinks it is an electrical problem.

It seems to go a few weeks between doing it. My garage has told me that it could be expensive to fix as it is all down to how soon they find the fault, so I would rather fix it myself.

Any ideas?

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - hardway

With Peugeots it needs more information to help here,

Engine size and fuel type,

And the three letters from the VIN say RHY or similar would help.

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Gibbo_Wirral

Did you read the link I posted?

Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Liam McTiernan
Hello - did you manage to figure out how to solve this? Thanks
Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Liam McTiernan
Hello - I am having the same problem and was wondering whether you found out what the solution was? / what you ended up doing? Thank you!
Peugeot 206 - Temperature gauge issues - Andrew-T
Hello - I am having the same problem and was wondering whether you found out what the solution was? / what you ended up doing? Thank you!

Who knows? - no response from anyone. Cause looks electrical to me, and I guess as all the posters have found no actual fault, perhaps grin and bear it. It's a feature - they all do that, sir (or at least some do ... ).