Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - Just J

Hello Pros,

I am buying a second hand family runaround for £1000 or under. I only do about 100 or less (more like 50) miles a week running the kids around and popping to the shops, but I will want to do the occasional 4 hour road trip at Christmas etcetera.

I would appreciate some advice on which model is the most likely to give me trouble free motoring along with reliability and economy.

I was thinking maybe a petrol Mondeo because diesels worry me a bit, but I am open to advice and suggestion.

What search filters should I do on Auto Trader please?

At the moment I'm looking for under 10 years old and under 100K miles, but that is about all.

Are there any models, years, mileages or things I should just avoid completely. And what would you say is the most desirable model for me please?

All helpful and practical advice appreciated, thanks J.

Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - Avant

Only a few people on here are 'pros' but we'll do our best to help.

At this price condition is more important than make or model. Decide on the size of car you want and then you can make a shortlist of models. You certainly don't need a diesel, and you are right to be worried because old diesel engines can be very expensive to repair when they go wrong.

The advantage of the Mondeo is that there are lots of them to choose from. Notrhing soldiers on quite as well as an old Toyota or an old Volvo, so look at the Toyota Avensis and Volvo S60, or the Toyota Verso if a people-carrier would suit you. There should be some Vauxhall Zafiras around at this price too. The Nissan Primera and petrol Mazda 6 or 626 also last well.

Any cheap used car is a gamble, but try to find something that has been serviced and seems to have been looked after. Maybe find a friend who knows about cars and could help you look at possibilities.

Edited by Avant on 27/10/2012 at 11:56

Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - Just J

Thanks for the input, Avant...

I think a Mazda 6, Mondeo, or Vectra would suit me size wise. I don't need a people carrier there are only 2 kids and 2 dogs, the Wife, and myself.

So petrol over diesel then?

Which petrol Mondeo is the best?

Edited by Just J on 27/10/2012 at 12:42

Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - unthrottled

How about a Focus estate? Slightly narrower than a Mondeo so easier to get in and out of in tight carpark spaces but still comodious. The big boot-with a flat sill-makes it much better than the Mondeo saloon in the role of s*** shifter!

My parents had a 1.6 zetec version for a while. It turned in 40 combined-bang on the official mileage. The engine was slightly doleful when mated to quite a big car via a tall ratio gearbox but perfectly adequate. A few niggly electrical faults as it aged, but generally decent, if bland.

Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - elekie&a/c doctor

Any petrol Mondeo is a good cheapie runabout ,as long as the bodywork in good order.I would go for a 2.0L petrol with manual gearbox.Estates have loads of space.hth

Ford Mondeo - Which model is the most economical, and reliable? - Galaxy

Personally, I'd be looking for a good Mondeo Mk2. The newest of these would now be 11 years old, but there are some very nice low mileage examples around. Petrol model, of course, with a full service history. They just have a cambelt that needs changing after 10 years of 100,000 miles, whichever is reached first. Make sure the clutch is OK.

A 2.0L Zetec is probably the model to go for. Buy a manual, don't buy an automatic because the autobox isn't much good.

Advantages over the Mk3 is that there's no dual-mass flywheel to have to worry about, and no intake flap problem, which can cause the flaps to break off and get sucked into the engine, wrecking it.

I know that I'm biased because I own one. Mine's done 196,000 miles in 12 years. They just go on for ever!

Edited by Galaxy on 27/10/2012 at 20:11