Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - Dwight Van Driver

For inf of those that have an old banger or classic

The Motor Vehicles (Tests) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012

These Regulations come into force on 18th November 2012.

amend the Motor Vehicles (Tests) Regulations 1981 (“the 1981 Regulations”) to enable vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1960 to be used on the roads without a MoT test certificate. Article 4(2) of Directive 2009/40/EC (OJ L141, 6.6.2009, p.12) allows Member States to exempt such vehicles from roadworthiness testing.

Regulation 3 introduces a new exemption in regulation 6 of the 1981 Regulations, which exempts vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1960 from the requirement for such vehicles to have a MoT test certificate.

dvd

Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - RT

Never understood the logic of this change - older vehicles are tested with regard to the regulations in force when they were built anyway - I feel sure that most classics are roadworthy (probably more so than many younger cars) because of the way that they're cherished but removing the need for MoT means that sooner or later an unroadworthy classic will be involved in a fatal accident that might have been avoided if an annual MoT had been carried out.

Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - Duncan112

I would imagine that, although there will be no requirement for a MOT certificate per se, most insurers will insist on having some proof of roadworthyness and structural soundness, this may well involve having a "voluntary" MOT test which would be cheaper than the engineers report that would be the alternative.

Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - SlidingPillar

I suspect we'll have to wait and see what insurers say.

However, pre 60 good vehicles not used for carriage already don't need an MOT and there are several other existing exemptions too. Some of them are physically not MOT able, ie track-laying vehicles.

Bear in mind the MOT only judges the roadworthyness at the time of testing, and the car derived van that has done 100,000 miles at one year old has another 2 years before an MOT is needed (I've a friend who really did do that milage in a year).

Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - Avant

Many thanks for the reminder, DVD.

The classic car press are against the change for the reasons RT gives. There are plenty of skilled restorers around, but plenty of others who are restoring a car for the first time and learning as they go along. One wouldn't want to discourage them, but equally a MoT test is a way of making sure they haven't forgotten anything safety-related.

Pre 60 vehicles dont need a Test Certifcate - thunderbird

I run a classic, post 1960 thus will not be affected. I rebuilt it myself and have maintained it myself for the past 20 years but despite being entirely happy with what I do the annual £40 for an MOT is a cheap way of getting a pro to check that I have not missed something related to safety.

Add to that my insurers require a copy of the MOT to verify the mileage for the max 3000 miles a year policy I have.

Its a bad idea in my book.