Automatic Car Wash - Dingle232

What's the view on these? Many say they damage your paintwork and should be avoided but having used them (infrequently I must admit) I haven't been able to see any 'damage' as such, albeit a faintly more noticeable set of swirl marks.

Are they good or bad as they are certainly a time saver at the weekend on the days I can't be bothered cleaning my car myself?

Just curious as to what folks think.

Automatic Car Wash - MikeTorque

Depends on the car wash equipment. I've used them plenty of times, saves loads of time. Sadly far too many Auto Car Wash operations are going out of buisness due to poor maintenance and as a result people are using the manual labour outlets offering multiple clean, wash, wax etc. options.

A decent Auto Car Wash will have fresh soft brushes for front, back, sides & roof, apply water first, then wash with a wash solution, then apply a wax if required, dry etc. The brushes should be fairly light on the bodywork and no marks should result, I've never had any problems with them. On the other hand manual car washes can result in swirls and scratch marks as a result of dirty clothes being pressed too hard onto the paintwork.

It's worth considering using a Waterless Car Wash system as an alternative to the above two types of car wash.

Automatic Car Wash - tanvir

I much prefer the manual hand wash gangs.

Automatic Car Wash - bathtub tom

I used to put a works van through an automatic wash (the one top gear 'broke') without seeing any problems. I wouldn't put any of my own cars there, just in case. I certainly wouldn't have a waxing program - don't want that stuff on my windscreen, making the wipers smear.

I've seen damage from hand washes a couple of times. I guess they've dropped the sponge and picked it up with grit.

I don't like using a pressure washer, although I will on the car I use for off-roading if it comes back really bad (once this year).

Soft brush on the end of a hose for me usually.

Automatic Car Wash - Avant

As Mike says, thery need to be properly maintained. I believe they're fine unless your car is less than about 6 months old, as they can damage new paintwork. Or is that an old wives' tale?

Automatic Car Wash - Collos25

Took a car to a manual hand wash in the uk one of the operatives must have been wearing a somethink metal result a dirty great scratch on the roof.Wash ityourself that way your the only one to blame if it goes wrong.

Automatic Car Wash - gordonbennet

I wonder how many people really don't have the time to wash their own car.

An hour does both our cars properly weekly, not fussy enough to go for the two bucket method, simply wet car and apply soap all over via a hose dispenser, then wash with long handled soft bristled car wash brush, sponge the wheels and any awkward nooks, rinse and squeegee the windows and main bodywork.

No wonder chronic obesity is such a serious problem, its amusing to go past the hand car wash and see customers sitting on the wall whilst some even lack the energy to get out of the car at all...people have too much money to spare.

Automatic Car Wash - veryoldbear

Golly, are you supposed to wash cars? Can't you just leave them out in the rain now and then?

Automatic Car Wash - Hamsafar

Washing cars is good excercise, bending, stretching in all directions.
If you don't have a driver or butler, or are not disabled and you don't live in a flat, there is no excuse. It's also a good time to spot bodywork defects or tyre problems.

Edited by Hamsafar on 21/10/2012 at 14:14

Automatic Car Wash - MikeTorque

Yes it is. Maybe they should include washing & waxing a car as part of the practical section of the Driving Test. They could use a control car with known issues and see how many of the issues actually get noticed whilst the car is being washed & waxed. A final assessment is then given upon inspection of the wash & wax and issues found.

Automatic Car Wash - Pondlife

I think they recycle the water they use. I'm sure they filter it to remove the dirt and grit, but how do they get rid of the salt in the winter?

Automatic Car Wash - Bobbin Threadbare

It's a nice day here- I just washed my car. I don't really trust anyone else to do it and it's cheaper to buy the car shampoo on offer and it lasts for ages. Topped up the oil, washer fluid and did the tyres too. It is good exercise, if you scrub all the dead flies using a bit of elbow grease...

Automatic Car Wash - TeeCee

Used to be a problem with the old cellulose paints, which were much softer. My father once aquired an Austin 1800 cheap, as it had a completely matte paint finish from being whirly-brush-washed since new.

Not a problem with modern, epoxy based paints. I get to claim washes for my fleet car, so it runs through every couple of weeks. Nearly four years on, the paint is unmarked (well, unmarked from washing......usual stone chips etc.)