Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - likerocks

I fitten four Osram Nightbreaker +90% headlight bulbs last year. I have been happy with the quantity and quality of light but so far three of them have failed.

I consider this to be premature and possibly a product of "driving" a standard design of bulb so hard for the sake of extra light. Does anyone have a recommendation for good quality but long-lasting halogen bulbs. H7 size?

Cheers

Chris

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - TeeCee

Premature failure of halogen bulbs is usually caused by contaminants on the envelope.

You have to keep your fingers (and any other sources of oil or grease - so that handy rag will not do) well away from the envelope when fitting or they'll blow quite quickly.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - Collos25

I had exactly the same car and it also blow headlamp bulbs on a regular basis the fault was overvoltage but it took a long time to find as this happened only occasionally.The cure was a new alternator.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - SlidingPillar

Plus bulbs do not last anything like as long as normal halogen bulbs. One normal H4 on a car I've not long sold was there when I bought the car second hand in 1983 and the other I replaced in about 1984 or 5.

Set against that, I fitted a pair of plus bulbs to another car when they first came out. Had a year's guarantee and the first failed at one year one month, and the second, within a week of the first. Went back to the original bulbs which were still there three years later when I sold that car.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - skidpan

Plus bulbs are a waste of money. They cost loads of money and last a fraction of the time a normal bulb does.

Ever wondered why manufacturers don't fit them, after all some are "E" marked and legal. Would be a real money spinner for them in the options list. Would also cost them a fortune in warranty work.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - gordonbennet

Out of 4 Philips Extreme + bulbs in our two cars only one has blown, the other three must be 5 years old now.

I wonder if the short lived Osram jobbies referred came via a certain online auction site from irregular suppliers at price too good to be true.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - Bobbin Threadbare

Bulbs are very delicate. I usually wear medical gloves when I replace a bulb, so that no smudges get on them - even if your hands are spotless there's still soap residue etc.

Honda Accord Tourer - what lightbulbs? - adlogg

I fitten four Osram Nightbreaker +90% headlight bulbs last year. I have been happy with the quantity and quality of light but so far three of them have failed.

I consider this to be premature and possibly a product of "driving" a standard design of bulb so hard for the sake of extra light. Does anyone have a recommendation for good quality but long-lasting halogen bulbs. H7 size?

Cheers

Chris

H7's? My 2004 Tourer has H1s fitted so is that why my lights are useless, especially the dip beam. There are no complaints of poor lights on this blog or on other sites. Is it just my car or do we all put up with it?