Ford Focus 1.8 Litre Zetec 2011 - Squeaking noise from engine on start up - sticky1745

I have recently noticed a squeaking noise coming from the engine on my 2011 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 Litre Petrol on start up/when engine is cold. It appears to be coming from the area of the belts and pulleys. The sound goes away after five to ten minutes of driving. I thought it might be one of the belts or pulleys/bearing, but am not totally sure about this as the engine has only done 14,000 miles

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Ford Focus 1.8 Litre Zetec 2011 - Squeaking noise from engine on start up - Peter.N.

Its almost certainly the alternator belt slipping, when you first start the car the load on the alternator is very heavy as it recharges the battery, as the voltage rises the current drops thus lightening the load. Increasing the belt tension if possible should cure it, if this is not possible a new belt will be needed.

Ford Focus 1.8 Litre Zetec 2011 - Squeaking noise from engine on start up - Ben 10
I have a 60 plate 1.8 petrol zetec s. Mine does exactly the same on cold start up. Just been serviced so should have been highlighted to technician who worked on it. I'd say there is no problem. just normal for this engine.

Edited by Ben 10 on 09/10/2012 at 23:43

Ford Focus 1.8 Litre Zetec 2011 - Squeaking noise from engine on start up - TeeCee

A slipping belt would produce a continuous screech, especially when accelerating.

A rhythmic squeaking in time with engine revolutions would be more likely to be, as you say, a bearing in a pulley, the alternator or (my favourite) the water pump.

Ford Focus 1.8 Litre Zetec 2011 - Squeaking noise from engine on start up - Pete Mansell

A fool-proof way to diagnose a noisy belt is to spray a little water over it whilst ticking over. If it temporarily cures the noise you know the cause.