Volkswagen Bora - Purring Clutch VW Bora 2.0 - 2003 - Antifaith

Just brought a 2003 VW Bora 2.0 litre sport with 47000 miles on the clock - all seemed fine when I brought it, bar a mouldy smell which I'm currently coping with - but as I drove the car a little more I noticed a purring coming through the clutch pedal

I say purring as it feels like standing on a heavily purring cat at the bite point in every gear - it's definately worse in lower gears, yet when cruising on the motorway without my foot on the clutch, I can feel it faintly through the accelerator pedal

I know it's probably a new clutch on the cards but wanted confirmation before I brought anything, and to know what the cause for this would be?

Also, car is averaging 25mpg on motorways and 16mpg in town - I know it's a 2 litre but is this a bit excessive?

Thanks in advance

Volkswagen Bora - Purring Clutch VW Bora 2.0 - 2003 - Crasher

It may have had a new solid flywheel fitted or the original fit dual mass flywheel is failing, a mild rumbling through the pedal is quite normal to a slight extent and is normal.

Volkswagen Bora - Purring Clutch VW Bora 2.0 - 2003 - jonny10buds

Some vibration through the pedals is normal, I'd wait and see if anything develops.

Volkswagen Bora - Purring Clutch VW Bora 2.0 - 2003 - Crasher

The Bora 2.0L petrol does not have a dual mass flywheel. Problems with this clutch are rare so I suspect as you do, it may need a new clutch and this is probaly down to poor clutch use by the previuos owner.