Mazda 6 new model - Bobbin Threadbare

Just having a read of the HJ review of the new Mazda 6. I'd have another 6 - don't really care for the 19" wheel option and it's disappointing that they're not doing a hatchback but it is a good looking car, and they've souped it up a bit whilst lowering the VED.

I don't see the point of comparing it to a BMW though; to my mind it's not pointing at the same market. I usually see families using them rather than them being repmobiles.

Mazda 6 new model - Avant

I wonder if Mazda's thinking is that now that estates don't look like converted vans, there isn't much that a hatchback could do that an estate can't.

Presumably in some of their markets, unlike the UK, buyers prefer saloons to hatchbacks. I think the Honda Accord is similarly saloon or estate only. The problem for all non-premium brands in this sector is that you can get a base-model 3-series or A4 for similar money, and the families that you rightly say are the main market often buy secondhand - unless Mum or Dad gets a company car, and then it tends to be Ford/Vauxhall, or BMW/Audi/German taxi depending on how senior they are.

Mazda 6 new model - Mike H

Perhaps I'm in a minority, but personally I'm not keen on the looks of the new estate. Seems to be that there is too much metal and too little glass behing the C pillar, in common with many recent estates, although I think the latest Hyundai i30/Kia cee'd estates look good. Must feel pretty dark inside.

Apart from that, the economy of the petrol engines looks impressive on paper which is good news.