Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - Redhound

My beloved Fourtrak is now 16 years old and developing a few issues. I hope to keep her a bit longer but am starting to think about a replacement after many happy years together. I would want a traditionally -shaped 4x4, not the Warrier truck shaped ones, with good reliability and no worse MPG than the Fourtrak, which is pretty good (2.8tdi). I need something to tow my trailer with 2 largish horses in (c600-700k each) and as good a turning circle as possible. Would want something good off road but doesn't have to be refined on road as I will have a runabout car too. Real shame the Fourtrak isnt made any more..Any suggestions appreciated thanks :)

Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - Avant

Have a look at a Toyota RAV-4. New or used (depending on your budget) it'll give you many years of service.

Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - gordonbennet

Suggest Landcruiser Colorado (or LC3/4 whatever they are now called) or Nissan Patrol, both available as SWB.

Might be worth enquiring about the possibilty of a low mileage grey import Fourtrack direct from Japan, if not you could possibly get a 70 series Landcruiser (toughest and simplest ever made, sometimes badged Prado) from a similar source, suggest this as any 70 series or Fourtracks here from new must have tin worm by now.

Assumed budget would not include new or near new?

edit...remember pick ups come with commercial VED @ around £210, so no worries about £450+ if you want '06 onwards, if so Hilux is the most durable reliable by a country mile, but pick ups towing weight is only around 2.5 tons give or take legally, obviously far more capable as i've seen in country areas with diggers on railers behind, one or two of the latest boast 3 ton towing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/10/2012 at 00:04

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure a Rav 4 wouldn't have the towing capacity for a fully loaded horse trailer unfortunately. I will look into the Nissan Patrol and Landcruiser, though I think the latter would be too big and thirsty? I like the Fourtrak import idea, hadn't thought of that. The budget is quite flexible but there's no point buying a very new vehicle as it will only be used for quite local towing stuff mainly. Also the VED thing is a very good point. I think I need 3.5 tons.. thanks again.

Drat, why didn't i think yesterday.

2 more vehicles that would do the job well and obtainable at good prices on say 54/55 plate and *should* have full towing capacity....Kia Sorento and Hyundai Terracan...i know a chap who had a Terracan from new, ran it to 150k in 5 years so still under warranty, had a couple of interior trims sorted under warranty and a diff oil leak, that was it and it was a working vehicle.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/10/2012 at 10:27

Ah yes those two sound like goers! I will defo check them out. Thanks for your help :)

Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - SteveLee

The SsangYong Rexton is a superb tow car, fitted with the unburstable and economical Merc 2.7 - which isn't a surprise considering the car itself is a Merc M-Class made under license in South Korea - but is rather better screwed together that the patchy pointy star cars - as a bonus a lot of the high tech wizzardry is stripped out. Cheap and pretty economical given the size of the cars.

Nice one, will check this out too! Didn't know about the Merc link... thank you :)

Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - daveyK_UK

May I second the ssangyong, great value for money.

Thanks for the recommendation, very useful :)

Daihatsu Fourtrak - Replacement 4x4 workhorse - pugswhdi
Nissan terrano? I think they have either 2.8 or 3tonne towing limit and are very cheap and durable.

Nissan's are always good, that's another one for the shortlist; thanks! Fourtrak had her service and a repair today so hoping she might do another year...

Thanks for updating Redhound, an example to the many posters who ask a question, get considered answers, and then vanish without a word.

Hopefully it'll carry on a good while yet, i too like that era of vehicle, especially in 4x4 form, simple durable easy to maintain and no frills or electronic garbage to give hours of expensive headaches, my 70 series LC was as tough as a horseshoe, saved SWMBO's bacon when she took some railings out with it.

If and when you eventually replace the old girl, please pop back and let us know.

Thanks for your kind words, I have found all the advice on this forum very useful indeed. My Fourtrak has done me 10 years I would guess; she has pulled several random crashed cars out of ditches, towed my horses safely many miles twice a week, made it up an icy hill with loaded horse trailer while others were sliding back down again, got me out of boggy fields while others got stuck and only broken down once- which wasn't really her fault! She has had some expensive welding so maybe she will be OK for a while. I agree about the tough old 4x4s. I will definitely keep you posted. Thanks again :)