Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - happy polo

Hi All,

I'm interested in your thoughts/experiences; I'm after a tidy convertible for around 3.5k-ish. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a folding hard top Megane or a Saab 9-3. Obviously this isn't what you might call a like-for-like comparison, one being a ragtop and the other a 'CC' jobby, and the Saab obviously being a tad more upmarket. However they both occupy roughly the same price bracket and they both tickle my fancy!

I'm only going for the smaller engined end of the market - downsizing from 4.0 litres at the moment! - so it'll be a 1.6 or 2.0 litre Megane or a 1.8 or 2.0 9-3. I'm aware that the 1.6 Renault doesn't tend to impress on the performance front, but I'm not planning on any racing.

I've never owned either a Renault or a Saaband intitial common sense would suggest the Swedish motor is likely to be a better bet all round, but do we have any owners of either on here who might have any views?

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - Happy Blue!

There are no Saab dealers any more and the 9-3 was a fairly wobbly car based on a bastaardised Vauxhall. At least the Renault has a dealer network to look after you and easy access to parts.....

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - elekie&a/c doctor

BMW 3 series e46 model with a 6 cylinder engine .Better than both of these and most others.This would be my choice all day long.

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - Bobbin Threadbare

Depends how many seats you want. MX-5 all the way!

A friend of mine drives a BMW 330i soft top. She's had it a long time and says it is trouble-free.

Audi A4 is a decent one as well. Owner's reviews for it are very positive.

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - tony g
I've owned both of the cars you mention .As other posts say the Saab is perhaps the better car,although the rear seats are poor ,the lack of dealers and parts availability would be a major problem .

I've bought and sold 6 of the renaults ,I would definitely recommend the 1.9 diesel ,but not the 1.5 diesel or petrol versions , the 1.9 is a pleasant thing to drive with 35 average mpg and 130 bhp ,the back seats are ok ,plus the boot is huge when the roof is in place ,parts are cheap and if you buy from 2005 on the roof seals don't leak .

As others have said BMW make better convertibles ,but not for this price ,a container of diesel injector cleaner about twice a year ,around £3 from morrisons filling stations .Added to the fuel it makes a real difference to the performance and fuel consumption .
Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - happy polo

Thanks all for your views. Regading the 'poor' rear seats on the 9-3, I presume you mean in terms of space, or are there other issues? As for the parts supply, I'm surprised nobody has yet stepped forward to establish a parts supply operation, as with 'X-Part' or whatever they were called when Rover went under. Surely it's only a matter of time before that happens, particularly with Saab being a global brand?

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - veryoldbear

The Saab spares situation is still quite good, especially as there is quite a lot of commonailty with Vauxhall / Opel.

Convertibles: Renault Megane vs Saab 9-3 - Canon Fodder

Happy Polo - I had a 56 plate Megane CC 1.5 dci for 12 months and 16,000 niles and absolutely loved it.

Quiet, very comfortable and for me totally reliable. That engine was a peach too, with a usable power band, very long legged and super-economical GT / cruiser due to its high 6th gear.

The only -ves were poor stereo, puny aircon (in a drop-top mind) and wooly handling / steering.

how much of this translate to the petrol versions I couldn't say...