Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - evilmoo
Hi all

I have been driving 4x4's over the last few winters but having to cut the fuel bill down so going back to a normal car :-(

I have about £4000 to spend and want a safe, relatively economical family car - preferably a diesel. Safe being the main concern! Going back to 2wd in the ice makes me nervous so no BMW suggestions please due to the RWD lol

My son is 5ft 10 so must be something quite roomy in the back - I hate small cars anyway :-D

I have looked for an AWD Volvo or Audi but too pricey to get a decent one with reasonable miles and subarus are nearly all gas guzzling petrols

What should I spend my hard earned cash on?

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - unthrottled

Going back to 2wd in the ice makes me nervous

Just remember the Scandanavians manage just fine with FWD only-and they get proper winter, not just a couple of inches of slush.

2WD is arguable safer than 4WD because you've always got more braking traction than driving traction. The ability to easily pull away from a standing start can fool you into thinking a road surface is better than it really is. FWD will give you forewarning.

Get an ordinary car with the narrowest wheels possible. (My 175/75 summer tyres have made it up slippery hills where lifestyle SUVs on chav wheels have failed).

Put winter tyres on if you feel nervous. No problem.

I'm 6'. I can sit behind myself in a Golf or Focus with complete comfort.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - madf

Get an ordinary car with the narrowest wheels possible. (My 175/75 summer tyres have made it up slippery hills where lifestyle SUVs on chav wheels have failed).

+1

My 175/65/14 tyres are the same..Any 4x4 in winter is only as good as its tyres... few owners buy winter tyres

If you buy any modern Audi with wide tyres, get used to walking in snow.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Bromptonaut

Not sure what you mean by safe. Crashworthy or with no handling vices to catch the unwary?

All cars are pretty safe these days; the driver makes most difference.

The sum you mention would certainly get you a reasonably fresh Berlingo or Partner. Our has been fine in last few winters, partly no doubt due to narrow tyres as mentioned above.

In terms of diesels all post MY2006 have HDi engines. The 90PS version is a good power match, the 70 is no more eco and lacks puff on m/way inclines etc.

Thanks for the answers guys

I meant safe as in good handling and good crash test rating - I had an old landcruiser so always felt safe in it cos it was big and not made of cardboard and duck tape like a lot of cars seem to be these days!

I am thinking of looking at either Volvo V70 or V50 diesel but the V50 has the dreaded dpf I believe :-s

Also thinking Honda crv diesel but not sure what mpg is like

I didn't even like driving the landy in the snow so will be more nervy in a car. Maybe I should go have a skid pan lesson lol
I actually have an 04 focus at the moment as a stop gap and that is too small in the back - hubby is 6ft so my sons knees are against the back of the seat
Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - IRC

Don't forget crash ratings are adjusted for the size of the car. Or to put it another way a big car with a 4 ratiing will be safer than a small car with the same rating. More crumple zone to work for you in a big crash. So if safety is a priority go Mondeo rather than Fiesta for example.

Keeping it in perspective though any car is prettyy safe. People still ride motorbikes which have a horrendous safety record.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Ethan Edwards

LPG your gas guzzling petrol and cut your fuel bill by a t least a third.

LPG your gas guzzling petrol and cut your fuel bill by a t least a third.

And spend £2k to do it thus blowing the budget.....................

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Ethan Edwards

£1300 tops for a 4cyl and you'll get that back if you do the mileage in a year or so.

The 'greenest' car you'll ever own is the one you have right now.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Bobbin Threadbare

To be fair, if you're tall it depends how you sit in the car; Mr Bobbin is 6ft 3 but can sit without discomfort in the back of my mum's Aygo, if she is driving, since she's over a foot shorter than him.

Most cars will cope fine in snow - I used to commute 120 miles a day in a 1.6l Focus on 'summer' tyres, no ABS, and I never had a problem in the ice and snow. Often I was one of the few people who managed to get to work....

This doesn't narrow it down really! If you need more space than a Focus and you've got £4k, a Mondeo is probably the way to go. Or, a Honda Accord.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 02/10/2012 at 18:44

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - daveyK_UK
you could pick up a decent old shape citroen berlingo for that price, no worries with the diesel engine.
Same could be said for a old shape Doblo in 1.9 diesel form, they seem to be bullet proof.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Mike H

I drive a Saab 9-5 auto, 2wd. No problems here in Austria with the mandatory winter tyres. Don't worry about only having the front wheels driven. BMWs and Mercs can't be that bad in the snow, there are plenty around over here, but I'd share your wariness re RWD.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - pd

Any large, economical car in your budget is likely to either be pretty old or pretty high mileage so be realistic: you can't expect it to be as reliable and not need as much maintenance as a newer, low mileage car.

For £4k you can have econmical, you can have big and comfortable, you can have newish and lowish mileage and hence less maintenance but you probably can't have all at the same time.

£4k will get you a nice V70 D5 which would fit most of the criteria but it will have 100k+ and/or be 8-9 years old so be realistic that you will be replacing the odd bit of suspension, maybe an alternator or clutch, maybe an injector or two etc. whilst you own it.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Hamsafar

VW Golf/Passat 4Motion, or even some Skodas are 4WD.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - veryoldbear

My old Saab 9-5 2.2tid Estate has just conveyed us down to Normandy and back via Dover (strange routing due to the Brittany Ferries strike).

That was another 900 miles to add to the 192000 so far, it didn't miss a beat, and was running at about 44 mpg on the pleasingly clear French autoroutes

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - brignac

How about an Audi A6 - something like this. Keep £700 for repairs....

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20123848590...p

A6 TDI is a nice car.. And very relaible.. Great suggestion.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Bobbin Threadbare

A6 TDI is a nice car.. And very relaible.. Great suggestion.

Agreed. F-i-L drives an Avant and it's great in all conditions, and very comfy. It's posh inside.

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - 1madboiler

I have recently part ex'd a peugeot 307 2.0hdi....had it 7 years and had to replace pretty much everything in 130,000miles...avoid french cars like the plague(we also had a renault megane that the dealer took back after a year due to all the problems)...After much research and the experience we had with a toyota corolla(that replaced the Renault) we spent nothing on it in 4 years other than an annual service! we have opted for a Toyota Avensis d4d estate, had it a month and the fuel consumption is great given the size of the body and the room we have, getting 49mpg around town and nearer 60 on a run. We have a new baby and a labrador so we needed space and we have ample. Not the most exciting thing in the world but if you want safety, reliabilty, low running costs and space, it really does tick all the boxes

Thanks everyone for your input

I need to get a grip and stop worrying about bad weather before its even happened!

I just dread driving in ice and always worry my car will just wander off across the road :-/

Thinking of looking at Avensis d4d estate - they seem to have a good name and our old landcruiser just went on and on

One I have seen that I like already has winter tyres on though - isn't it a bit early for those?!
Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Avant

Winter tyres will be fine from now until next spring. Avensis probably cheaper than a Volvo of similar age that you were thinking about (other thread now in Technical).

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - Mike H
One I have seen that I like already has winter tyres on though - isn't it a bit early for those?!

Probably just using up the spare tread, they must have at least 4mm in Europe to be legal as "winter tyres", as they lose effectiveness in winter conditions under that amount. Nothing to stop them being used as ordinary tyres in the UK however, as long as they have more than the current legal minimum (1.6mm?).

Best and safest family diesel for £4000 - VEC786
look at a toyota avensis, reliable solid well built and not too pricey.