FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - NEILJONES

After all this heavy rain we have had over the last few days I noticed the carpet in the real footwell is soaking wet, dried it all off and another few hours of rain it was sokaing again. There is also a pool of water on the kick strips. I have looked at all the seals around the door but all seem in tack, the inside of the car and door is also totally dry, its a mystery, any ideas or does it need to go to a ford dealer.

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - Collos25

Common fault with Mondeos normally membrane in the door that has gone faulty allowing water to run to the inside of the door instead of through the drains to the outside .Temporary cure is to tape a piece of plastic on the bottom of the door on the inside with enough width to go over the seal to the outside.

Edited by Collos25 on 27/09/2012 at 07:34

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - thunderbird

Common fault with Mondeos normally membrane in the door that has gone faulty allowing water to run to the inside of the door instead of through the drains to the outside .Temporary cure is to tape a piece of plastic on the bottom of the door on the inside with enough width to go over the seal to the outside.

Exactly what happened to ours but only after the dealer had done some paint rectification work and had the doors off. Had to pay for new membranes, about £20 a side fitted, dealer would accept no liability and Ford said it was dealers fault.

Good news is the body shop manager was sacked shortly after.

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - Galaxy

I'm not too sure which mark of Mondeo you have, OP, but it could be well worth checking the condition of the rear light seals, particularly if it happens to be a mark II.

That was the source of mine, and many others, water ingress problems.

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - Collos25

The rear lights to the rear passengar footwell that some water ingress .

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - NEILJONES

Yes When I run my hand under the door its wet, thats the bottom part of the door that painted (the bit about 4 inches or so wide), the underneath of the plastic door bucket is totally dry.

So are you saying put some plastic over that bottom part of the door (painted part) ? any ideas where the water is getting in as apart from the carpet and the bottom fo the door evrything else is totally dry, I was expecting to see some water runs showing where the water is getting in but totally nothing.

Normally comes in through the window seal on the door and is supposed to run through the inside of the door and come out through the drain holes in the door to the outside but because the membrane is probably broken it runs all over the inside of the door and comes out through the trim bottom and into the footwell.

FORD MONDEO ZETIC 2.0 - Water leaking into rear drivers side footwell - thunderbird

So are you saying put some plastic over that bottom part of the door (painted part) ?

NO. The plastic membrane goes behind the door card. To check its condition and fit a new one you need to remove all the door trim etc, not simple with modern electrics.

No he means a temporary fix, duck tape some plastic on the inside painted area wide enough to pass over the door seal .A permanant fix is to fit a new membrane.

LIttle bit confused where to put the tape, does it need to go on the underside of the door, i.e. the painted wide part of the underside of the door that runs next to the plastic door bucket?

And yes this would be a temporary fix just to stop any leaking until I can do it properly.

Edited by NEILJONES on 29/09/2012 at 15:14

And yes this would be a temporary fix just to stop any leaking until I can do it properly.

Don't waste your time, get it fixed. Our temporary fix was a big towel.