Ford Mondeo/Peugeot 407 - Petrol or Diesel ? - mofo76
Considering that diesel cars are more expensive to purchase (both when new and second hand) and potential repair costs are significantly higher, at what point do diesel cars become uneconomical ?

I have a commute of 500 miles per week, so I will cover somewhere in the region of 25,000 miles in the next 12 months depending on how many times I'm sent overseas. Unfortunately my budget (£3-5,000) only stretches to a car that has already done around 100,000 miles already, and I need a car that will accommodate a tall family of 4 plus 3 dogs - so a reasonable sized estate.

Is it still worth looking at a diesel, or should I spend less on a similar aged petrol car and suffer the lower mpg associated with it ?
Ford Mondeo/Peugeot 407 - Petrol or Diesel ? - sandy56

I had the 2.5 Mondeo for a while and changed for a 2.0 diesel Toyota. Saved a little money over time, but not really enough to justify the change.

You need to look at the numbers and see if it is worthwhile and remember that if anything goes wrong on the diesel it will be expensive. At that price range any car will be a gamble.

Ford Mondeo/Peugeot 407 - Petrol or Diesel ? - Peter.N.

At that mileage I would say the diesel would be your best choice. Have you thought about a 406 or is that to old? The 2.0 8 valve Hdi has no DPF, will do in excess of 60 mpg and has lots of room. I bought one at about 185,000 miles and have done another 20,000 and apart from normal maintenance have had no trouble with it. You should be able to get a good one for less than £2000 or maybe a bit more for an Exclusive. The GXL upward have very comfortable seats.

Ford Mondeo/Peugeot 407 - Petrol or Diesel ? - mofo76
We have been considering numerous cars, we currently have an MG ZT-T CDTi, and have considered (among others): Skoda Octavia, Volkswagen Passat, Ford Focus and Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra...and the list goes on.

My inlaws have a UK spec 406 petrol auto estate in France which although it is rather gutless and uneconomical suits is for the time we spend over there so I had considered the diesel one. They certainly look good, an if they last upwards of 200,000 miles would certainly last me a while.