Volkswagen Polo - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (2010) problems with engine?? - karchun

Let me give a brief info. about my car - I haven't driven it in about 1-2 months and today i switched the car on; 1st problem was the dying start on the system - it sounded as though the engine had trouble starting up with a pessimistic start - I don't have a clue what that is about especially considering that my car has done less than 12,000 miles in total...

2nd problem was opening the bonnet and noticing one of the hoses connecting to the engine had completely came off :

www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/Volkswagen_Pog

(the top right hand corner next to the black box is connected by a hose/pipe that looks like a spring in the middle) WEll that wasn't connected at all to the black box - tried to push it in but couldn't! Does anyone have a clue what that intake/outake is because from what i can see that is either an extremely hazardous problem or just non essential eg. Air conditioning????

Any relevant help would be greatly appreciated because i may start driving the car tomorrow!

Thanks

Volkswagen Polo - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (2010) problems with engine?? - thunderbird

2010 Polo, still under warranty, call dealer.

The thing is - it was previously damaged so warranty became void (i am 3rd owner)

Volkswagen Polo - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (2010) problems with engine?? - elekie&a/c doctor

The black box in the top right of picture is the engine air filter housing.The plastic corrugated pipe connects this to the engine.If this has become detached ,it may be that the engine backfired under starting and blew it off.A detached pipe will not cause a non start condition.It is possible that the battery is not up to scratch as the car has been stood for a while.hth

Can you tell me what the mechanism does - will it harm the engine or the other parts?

Also the non start condition as you put it - will it quickly go away as i start driving?

Cheers for the help so far!