Now an MR-2 - Piers
Having re-read some magazine tests and HJs car-by-car breakdown I'm getting the feeling the MR-2 might be the better drivers car and I think it looks better and will be a bit more exclusive than an MX-5

Spoke to a Toyota dealer today - has delivery of 2 weeks as a possibility and started to sugest we negotiate on price when I mentioned imports - threw in air con for free as well. Not many used on the market, and they seem to be at very high prices, but the way he crumbled worried me a bit.

What are the disadvantages from buying from Tradesales? Are the cars to the same spec and have underseal etc? Are they sourced from Europe or Japan?Can they be serviced and have warranty claims sorted at a francished dealer? How much will they come down in price? How much more should I pay at a Toyota dealer for the three years warranty and extra resale of a proper UK car?

Would the lack of a boot make the MR-2 a swine to shift on once the novelty has worn off?

MGFs have been written off the list - last one I tried I found I couldn't get my legs in it....

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I could answer most myself with a bit more research - but spending someone elses money is a bit more worrying (especially as it was saved up to buy a house!!!!) so good to have a range of opinions. So far my advice of 'buy a 6 litre V12 Jag for £5000' has fallen on deaf ears...

Piers
Re: Now an MR-2 - Dave N
I've found that by taking into account the slightly higher price from a dealer, but you get the proper 3 year warranty, better resale, no hassle with parts etc. You may be no worse off by going to them. Some of the vehicles at trade sales come from all over the place, some are discontinued models. My dad even saw a brande new E-class merc, but it was the old shape from 4/5 years ago! Just haggle hard with your local dealer and go home with peace of mind. I think some of these trade places are doing a 'Dixons', selling a pricey warranty package on top of the standard 1year manufacturers, and probably nowhere near as good.
BMW Z3 - Marcus
Have a look at these, they are much better screwed together than any Toyota or Mazda, they will hold their value better too. I'm 6'3 and fit in with no bother. there is a boot and they are a lovely drive.
Re: BMW Z3 - Piers
Not sure I could handle the image of being driven in a BMW Compact convertable!!!!

Might have a look at a 2.8, but ever time I see one it seems it's either being driven at high speed in built up areas by a peroxide blonde 'mutton dressed as lamb' woman doing her makeup with the roof up on sunny days or very slowly by older men trying to ensure everyone sees them and that their remaining hairs don't fall out......

HJs car by car breakdown isn't exactly a glowing commendation either.

Piers
Re: BMW Z3 - Kev
Do they come with standard scissors?
Re: Now an MR-2 - peter
The E class that Tradesales had was one of a batch that were manufactured in India for the Singapore? Market. They were 2.1 petrol I think (not a European option) and all of them sold very quickly at about £13k! brand NEW but how old?!

I suspect they ended up as Taxi Minicabs etc. Probably a very cost effective option! for apparent exclusivity. When they appear on the 2nd hand market in 5 years time with 200k on the the clock I suspect the average private buyer will not know the history and believe they have bargain!
Re: Now an MR-2 - Neil
Try www.carpricecheck.com

They offer UK-sourced cars from UK dealers. I think they're a broker and so take out all the hassle of haggling. Their prices are very good and you can always go back to your dealer and get them to beat the offer.