Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - StarM

Hello

I recently purchase a 3 month old Ford Fiesta with less than 400 miles on the clock. It was from a non-franchised dealer. In the showroom there were a number of posters on the wall that said if the car they sold only had one car key then that is all they could supply. Because of those posters I specifically asked whether the car I finally decided upon had 2 keys and the salesman said yes. I then paid a deposit.

When we came to pay and collect the car the following weekend there was no 2nd key and the salesman said that it was probably filed away in the office and they would have to wait until Monday to find it. I got up to leave and said that when they found the key I would come back and complete the deal and take the car away. The salesman asked me not to do that and reassured me that with their 30 years of being in business and lots of repeat custom because of their aftersales service that they would 'sort something out' with regards to the missing key.

In hindsight I wish I stuck to my guns because after a number of phone calls I am told that they are still searching the office, or some other office, and as of yet have not found the key. The last time we spoke I was asked whether I had received a cheque from them. The salesman said they had sent me £50, and were still looking for the key.

The following day in the post a letter arrived with a refund to the debit card that I used to purchase the vehicle. The letter mentions a refund but no reason.

I don't want this gesture to be considered a payment in lieu of the missing car key. I would simply like the 2nd car key that I was originally told would come with the car. After a bit of research it looks like a new key from Ford is about £250, plus losing the car for 1/2 day. I know there are cheaper alternatives.

To me this is a case of principles. My question is do I have any legal leg to stand on with regards to getting the dealer to supply me the key, or a new key? Do I need to continue the discussion by letter stating that I am not accepting the payment if it is meant to be in lieu of the 2nd key. Or am I being unreasonable here and should just accept the money and get my own key sorted out?

Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - tony g
(. Or am I being unreasonable here and should just accept the money and get my own key sorted out?)

Absolutely not unreasonable ,write to the garage and tell them you dont accept thier refund of £50 for the missing key.

The salesman confirmed that the car had two keys ,so it forms part of your contract to purchase the car .Did you have a witness to the salesmans statement .
If you had a witness that helps ,but it's not essential .Write to the garage and tell them they have 14 days to provide a key ,if its not forthcoming buy one and pursue them for a refund ,through the small claims court if necessary .

Good luck

Tony g
Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - StarM

Thank you for the reply Tony.

My wife was there through-out the whole process. Would she count as a witness? Again with hindsight I should have made sure it was confirmed on the paperwork, but then you don't need to write things like 'including parcel shelf' which, like a 2nd key, could be removed from the car without affecting its driving ability.

Cheers

Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - 1litregolfeater

Sounds like these garages hide one key, expecting you to lose the one they give you.

Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - focussed

Sounds like these garages hide one key, expecting you to lose the one they give you.

It could be more sinister than that-remember the scam that involved removing the chip in the key and taping it to the immobiliser antenna?

And you've only got one key, and there are two in existence, someone else may have access to the car at any time of the day or night.

Ford Fiesta - Dealer and the case of the missing 2nd car key - concrete

I think you are being entirely reasonable. Beside the principle of a contract, the salesmans' statement and the £50 (presumably a goodwill gesture) you should not be happy about another car key not in your possession. If the car was stolen and it was not broken into then your insurance may refuse to compensate due to contributory negligence. Visit the dealer and insist on speaking to the principal. Ask him for the spare key to his car so you can keep it, I expect that might get your point home as to how important this is. If you get no joy then take the advice of tonyg. Buy another key and sue the dealer through the small claims court for that plus all court costs. Good luck and let us know the outcome. Concrete