BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - cattlehat
Hi.
I'm looking to change cars shortly and have about 6.5 k to spend if I want. However if I spend all of that I won't have any money left if it goes wrong so I want a car that will be cheap to repair if I go up to my limit.

I had been looking online at BMW 320D 2005/2006 under 80,000 miles when I stumbled upon this website by chance. I started reading the good/the bad section and saw stories of owners having to spend thousands on their BMWs when they go wrong.
I've only ever had 'cheap' ford cars in the past, most I've spent on one is £2.5k so the thought of spending thousands on repairs is very off putting as they have always been very cheap to maintain.

In a real dilemma as I was really excited about a smart looking BMW especially as I could see some for sale at relatively high prices that had done in excess of 100k miles so was under the impression they would last forever!

Should I let this put me off buying one?
Would I be extremely unlucky to have to spend lots to keep it going?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - mrnikko

If you are at your cash limit to buy thr BMW walk away from it, nice motors they may be but at 80,000 miles big bills are just around the corner and coming up the straight. If you decide to go ahead give the car and its service history previous owners a good investigation.

My comments are based on a friend who recently bought a 3 series because it was a premuim car and has been very good at empting his wallet very quickly,service, tyres, blown turbo,ect

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Avant

You have to think what your priorities are: if you want to play safe, buy something Japanese (petrols are better than diesels at this price) - Toyota, Mazda or Honda.

If you would find these boring, a BMW would be more fun, but for your money you;ds have to have an older car with, as you realise, the potential for expensive repairs.

I've been lucky in that the BMW Z3 I bought four years ago when it was 7 years old has been very reluiable - but it's purely a 'fun car' and I don't use it every day or for short journeys. I've done about 3,500 miles a year in it as I've got a Skoda for everyday. So if your mileage is very low, you might get away with something exciting: if the car has to do a job of work, if I were you I'd play safe.

If you need a bit of both qualities, think about a higher-powered Ford Focus or Mondeo or Skoda Octavia - cheaper to buy than a BMW and more fun to drive than a Japanese car.

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - cattlehat
I do about 10 miles a day plus local stuff at weekends and maybe a couple of trips up north a year ~200 miles each way.
I've done 20k in my current car since 2006.
BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - bazza

With your extremely low mileage, you won't make any savings by running a diesel. Which means you can avoid some of the pitfalls and complexity they bring with them. I'd be looking at something mainstream with a good reliability record, eg you could pick up a very nice Accord or Civic, Auris or Avensis with your budget, all decent cars and unlikely to let you down. If you buy an approved used, they'll come with a decent years'warranty too.

With your budget though, I'd spend 2 or 3K, and probably buy privately, seeking out a careful owner with lots of receipts etc.. No need to spend a fortune on a car!

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Andy P

I'd go for this instead:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20123748478...p

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Bobbin Threadbare

Get a MX-5. They're about as fun as it gets and I commute 54 miles per day in mine very comfortably!

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Oilyman

Having driven a 320d for 4 years (2007) I would *never* describe it as a fun. The runflats they fitted as standard on the e90/1/2 etc killed any sense of fun.

The cabin compared to the E46 was the understatement of bland.

The four pot diesel put the final nail in the lid of the coffin.

Sorry if I upset the fanboys, but BMW 3 series went off the boil when the majority were sold as repmobiles with four pot diesels.

Proper BMW's have more than 4 cylinders and use petrol.

I know they are all going 4 pot - that doesn't make them desirable anymore.

Just my opinion you understand - but based upon previous E46 / E39 ownership - petrol burning 6 and 8 cylindered motors.

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Collos25

The E39 petrol has to be one of the best cars ever made.

BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Oilyman

The E39 petrol has to be one of the best cars ever made.

Lovely car with the 2.5 petrol, the only *slight* problem was the wiper arrangement IMHO
BMW 3 Series - Choosing a new 2nd hand car - Avant

I agree - there's nothing quite like a straight-six, particularly one of BMW's. I really ought to sell my 11-year-old Z3 2.2 while it's stil reliable, but I love the noise it makes. My Octavia vRS does a great job: it's faster and has more direct steering, but....it''s a four.