57 plate Golf GT TDI 170 - Time for a cambelt change? - Golftango

Hi, I'm a newbie :). My local VW dealer phoned me yestereday wanting me to spend money which I havent got. I havent had the car for a year yet, its only done 35K and they informed me it was overdue its cambelt change. I was surprised and said the cars only done 35k, surely its good until 70k. Comments/thoughts please, is this just a VW scam wanting people to spend money. To top it all they ended the conversation with 'is there anything else we can help you with', I said I never wanted any 'help' from them in the first place, it was them that rang me!

57 plate Golf GT TDI 170 - Time for a cambelt change? - daveyjp
Belt changes are due at set mileages or after a certain period of time. VW change period is currently five years so it is due. Your service handbook should give full details.

If you do low miles it adds significantly to running costs.
57 plate Golf GT TDI 170 - Time for a cambelt change? - 659FBE

This debate will run and run - because VAG UK have (possibly deliberately) made the position unclear. My own interpretation of this is that they are not trading in the best interests of their customers, but each will have to make his mind up...

My advice is as follows - and is purely an opinion. Firstly, read carefully the printed sevice book provided with the vehicle. Ignore any scrappy bits of paper stuck in, or sourced from the dealer. Take the printed belt change recommendations as an absolute maximum.

If you are stisfied with what you find (in the case of my own VAG diesel it was an 80k mile change interval with no stipulated time limit), run a check on Google on an international basis (the American sites are the best, as their customers are more confrontational and investgative) and check that your particular engine has no undue record of premature failure. Note that engines are specific to markets.

As someone who has worked in diesel engine testing and who owns a VAG 1.9 PD engine, my own recommendation is as follows: Change the belt every 70k miles or 7 years whichever occurs first. Use only an OE or Contitech belt. Change all idlers/tensioner and the water pump without fail. Consider fitting a pattern pump with a metal impeller.

The correct fitting procedure is vital for this engine - any dabs of white paint would suggest that the correct locking tools have not been used and the procedure not understood. These engines are completely intolerant of poor or sloppy maintenance and a badly executed belt change will probably place the engine at greater risk than would have been the case if you had left it alone.

Use a good knowledgeable Independent.

57 plate Golf GT TDI 170 - Time for a cambelt change? - cws

Out of interest, why do you recomend 70K and not 80K?

57 plate Golf GT TDI 170 - Time for a cambelt change? - 659FBE

Reducing the mileage from 80 to 70k materially improves the risk factor because these engines impose a very high stress on the water pump bearings and those of the insanely small idler. Putting the pump on the tight side of a very heavily loaded belt places the engine at undue risk and is in my opinion very poor design. PSA and other engine designers drive the pump from the slack side of the belt.

The PDs have been around for long enough now for failure patterns to emerge, and my observations are that the pump and the small idler are the timing drive components most at risk. Obviously you change the whole lot whilst it is apart. I have seen few pumps fail at mileages much below about 70k miles, but from then on, the risk seems to increase fairly sharply.

Remember also that you can factor in the change interval in accordance with the anticipated period of ownership. If you sell it at (say) 130k miles there is no additional cost and less risk if you change the belt at 70k miles.