Ford Focus TDCI 1.8 2004 - Focus TDCI rumbling noise - turnpike

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about this noise my car is making.

It's a loud vibrating/humming rumbling type noise which matches the speed. It's always there and louder the faster I'm driving. It's almost like a wheel is rubbing against something but I can't see any issues.

A mate suggested wheel bearings, but that it didn't really quite sound like that as that would apparently make a squeeling noise or be more obviously from one wheel.

Someone else said it could be the exhaust baffle. It just sounds like the whole car is shaking or rumbling more than it should.

Cheers!

Ford Focus TDCI 1.8 2004 - Focus TDCI rumbling noise - BenG

Could be a wheel bearing. They tend to make a low, rumbling noise and because it echoes around the car interior it can be hard to figure out which wheel tt's from. Easy enough to check out - jack up each corner of the car and check wheels rotate smoothly and don't have any lateral play.

Some tyres can make funny noises - had some budgets on my Leon which used to sing in tune with the speed. Noise gone when I replaced the tyres. Have you changed the tyres recently?

Does the noise vary with engine revs or just road speed? Would help to rule out engine-excited vibrations / resonances, such as exhaust rattles.

Thanks Ben. I'll check this afternoon for wheel play.

The tires are fairly new and I did notice different treads on back left and right. I would be really surprised if treads could make so much noise.

The noise simply matches road speed. Not revs.

Ford Focus TDCI 1.8 2004 - Focus TDCI rumbling noise - TeeCee

>> I would be really surprised if treads could make so much noise.

I wouldn't. Not too long ago I booked a car in for a service that both I and the mechanic who test drove it with me, were convinced had a shot rear wheel bearing. I was surprised when the news came back that it was actually tyre noise.

Some time later, when tyre change time came around, I went for a different tread pattern and the noise went away completely.

No obvious play in the wheels, but I haven't done it before so might just not have spotted it.

I tried a temporary wheel on the one which doesn't match the tread of the rest.. noise still there.

It's back in the garage which did the service last week. They say there could be bearings problems which I didn't pick up on..

Thanks all. Should know more this afternoon.

Edited by turnpike on 19/09/2012 at 11:09